License, registration.....and religious status?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    level.eleven said:
    Ehh, I don't know. In the court documents it states that members of the cops church approached her after the event and said Officer Joe had added her name to the prayer list because she has been naughty.

Wait... he prayed for her?

This changes everything. Is the electric chair still an option in Indiana?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Wait... he prayed for her?

This changes everything. Is the electric chair still an option in Indiana?

You don't seem anything wrong with a cop creating a list of full names of people he pulled over to the town church so they can be prayed for?

Outside of being creepy, it is certainly unprofessional. I don't think it is anyone's business other than the parties involved. Scarlet letter-like. And in smaller communities, can lead to real problems.

The cop is gossiping. A simple, pray for those I interacted with this week would suffice. No need for full names. A bit of a shaming aspect.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ehh, I don't know.

Yeah....Can't have too many butt hurt lawsuits...

But the officer should not have done that after he has been told not too....

The great singer/songwriter Townes Van Zandt and a companion where heading to a gig in Austin...There was a big musical festival going on at the same time a Billy Graham tent revival was going on in Austin....Townes' didn't have a an ID and there may have been a few things in the car that Townes' wanted to not be found by the police....

He said the police officers were just at that "I am going to need you to step out of the car son" moment when in a flash of brilliance Townes remembered the Billy Graham folks being in town...He looked up at the officer with a serious face and said, "Thanks for taking the time out to speak with us officer...Has anyone ever spoken to you about the salvation that can be yours through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?"

Needless to say the cop just said "I am good....Just slow it down son and enjoy the revival.."

When they left Townes said he kind of looked up to Heaven and "I owe you one Lord..."

Now the question begs...Did that officer try to sue the writer of "Pancho and Lefty"? Get some of that royalty check money that Townes was starting to get from his music? Maybe get the ACLU involved because he was butt hurt that someone dared mention something that he didn't want to hear?...No of course not...That would be silly...

quote-i-don-t-think-you-can-ever-do-your-best-doing-your-best-is-a-process-of-trying-to-do-townes-van-zandt-58-53-96.jpg

RIP Townes....You are a poet of the highest caliber...

Last edited:

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well, he's fired now. What more is necessary? Does the woman need to see a public lynching?

Well, I support a lawsuit. If faith was preached to me at a traffic stop, I would feel that my privacy was being invaded and my rights violated. It's completely unacceptable.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    level.eleven said:
    You don't seem anything wrong with a cop creating a list of full names of people he pulled over to the town church so they can be prayed for?

Yes I would be, if that is what happened. But you just made that up. It isn't in the court documents.

The court documents state that he mentioned her name in a prayer request, and in many years of church attendance, I have never heard anyone pray about a speeding warning. He strikes me as a fundamentalist of some sort, and was likely concerned that she wasn't really saved and needed to be. And that is likely what they were praying for.

I do not have an issue with praying for people that you come into contact with over the course of your work day.

The cop is gossiping. A simple, pray for those I interacted with this week would suffice. No need for full names. A bit of a shaming aspect.

Even fundamentalist churches don't assign a scarlet letter over traffic citations. Don't be a drama queen.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes I would be, if that is what happened. But you just made that up. It isn't in the court documents.

The court documents state that he mentioned her name in a prayer request, and in many years of church attendance, I have never heard anyone pray about a speeding warning. He strikes me as a fundamentalist of some sort, and was likely concerned that she wasn't really saved and needed to be. And that is likely what they were praying for.

I do not have an issue with praying for people that you come into contact with over the course of your work day.

Even fundamentalist churches don't assign a scarlet letter over traffic citations. Don't be a drama queen.

Wonder if certain people here on INGO would demand the ban hammer if they knew that I've prayed for them before...:nailbite:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Line 20 of the complaint.

19. Ms. Pyle filed a formal complaint about Trooper Hamilton’s behavior and was told thatthe matter would be taken care of and that she would suffer no backlash.

20. Nevertheless, shortly thereafter Ms. Pyle was approached by someone who attendedchurch with Trooper Hamilton who informed her that Trooper Hamilton had placed her on aprayer list.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2790973/ACLU-v-Brian-Hamilton.pdf

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

19. Ms. Pyle filed a formal complaint about Trooper Hamilton’s behavior and was told thatthe matter would be taken care of and that she would suffer no backlash.

20. Nevertheless, shortly thereafter Ms. Pyle was approached by someone who attendedchurch with Trooper Hamilton who informed her that Trooper Hamilton had placed her on aprayer list.

...and you think that after she filed the formal complaint his thoughts about prayer were relative to the traffic stop?

As an aside: "I just thought you should know..." people, generally suck- not limited to, or primarily about, this occurrence.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, I support a lawsuit. If faith was preached to me at a traffic stop, I would feel that my privacy was being invaded and my rights violated. It's completely unacceptable.

Whether it's faith, or whatever, I would feel that my privacy was being invaded and my rights violated if an officer used a traffic stop to make me a captive listener. It IS completely unacceptable.

But, again, what more than being fired is necessary? His source of income has been taken away. What more should you take from him?

Still not seeing a need for a lawsuit. Well, unless she needs some new shoes or something. Not gonna get much out of an unemployed former traffic cop. He probably wasn't making all that much to begin with.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Money is what people get because that's how reparations are made in our modern society. This shouldn't be shocking and I don't believe that's the issue being discussed here.

Okay. So you're on the jury. How many millions do you think she has coming? What's her 5 minutes of eye-rolling worth?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He should've thrown in "you are free to go"....taken 3 steps to his car, turned around, walked back and the asked "do you mind if I talk to you for a sec?l problem solved, lol.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Regardless of the content of the message, detaining someone longer than required to complete the investigation/traffic stop is unethical use of authority.

If I pulled you over and played a 10 minute banjo solo (and I've never had a lesson!) and asked for your input on the chances for my bluegrass band...

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Regardless of the content of the message, detaining someone longer than required to complete the investigation/traffic stop is unethical use of authority.

If I pulled you over and played a 10 minute banjo solo (and I've never had a lesson!) and asked for your input on the chances for my bluegrass band...

I'd be fine if you pulled me over and shared a copious amount of your nuts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He should've thrown in "you are free to go"....taken 3 steps to his car, turned around, walked back and the asked "do you mind if I talk to you for a sec?l problem solved, lol.

I said the same thing. The whole, making a list and sharing it with his church, is pretty creepy though. Definitely over the top.

Top Bottom