• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I just show up to classes with my puppy dog hi-point, drooling with bullets in my nostrils.

(on a side note, I knew a guy that used to stick junk in his nose. Coins, lighters, and on a few occasions the back end of a .50 round.)

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I think it comes down to this.
    Some things such as AD/NDs can be attributed to poor training or lack there of.
    But it IS a flawed design when one piece breaks and your gun sticks.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne

That is what you guys have been ranting about? That is an obvious drawback to the design (every design has at least one). I thought there was something less obvious which would affect EDC. Obviously if you're packing mud into every orifice available, a holster with passive retention might give you issues. I suppose if you're worried about such things, your only logical retention choice is a snap closure...but that doesn't exactly keep wandering hands from gaining fast access, does it? :dunno:

Unless I see proof that the leaf spring failure can cause it to hopelessly jam & that the design is prone to such a failure under normal usage, SERPA is still on my list of considerations for a Gen 4 Glock 20 holster for OC.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    That is what you guys have been ranting about? That is an obvious drawback to the design (every design has at least one). I thought there was something less obvious which would affect EDC. Obviously if you're packing mud into every orifice available, a holster with passive retention might give you issues. I suppose if you're worried about such things, your only logical retention choice is a snap closure...but that doesn't exactly keep wandering hands from gaining fast access, does it? :dunno:
    If that's what you think we're "ranting" about, you haven't been following very closely.

But yes, that's a major issue for people that might wind up in a struggle with someone else, which inevitably will go to the ground. While you might not place much importance on such things, many people do.

You asked for an example claiming that you couldn't imagine how a latch on a fulcrum could become fouled. I showed you. Now you want to pretend that since it does happen, it's really not that big of a deal and we're all just "ranting".

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Unless I see proof that the leaf spring failure can cause it to hopelessly jam & that the design is prone to such a failure under normal usage, SERPA is still on my list of considerations for a Gen 4 Glock 20 holster for OC.

If your "normal" usage is shooting at paper targets on a square range than the SERPA will probably work just fine for you.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    It's all a training issue!

This thread has changed my mind about the Serpa. How could I have been so wrong for so long???

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What about those cases where FoF students were wrestled to the ground and had their Serpa mechanisms fail, leaving their handguns cemented inside their holsters?

Personally if you are being wrestled to the Ground, in my humble opinion at least, you should not be even trying to use a Firearm. That is time for Hands on, or maybe a Knife. :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Personally if you are being wrestled to the Ground, in my humble opinion at least, you should not be even trying to use a Firearm. That is time for Hands on, or maybe a Knife. :dunno:

But you're assuming that you'd access it right at that moment. What if you needed your gun 5 minutes after you went face-first into the dirt, and it locked up your most powerful means of self-defense?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    But you're assuming that you'd access it right at that moment. What if you needed your gun 5 minutes after you went face-first into the dirt, and it locked up your most powerful means of self-defense?

I have used a Serpa in LOTS of training and real life scenarios with never a problem. So I do not honestly know. :dunno:

I train and use my Equipment Harder in training than I do in real life to try to eliminate those type of pucker moment...

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

This assumes that you are on the ground because someone is wrestling with you at the time. Might you have tripped while backing up? Maybe you got hit with an impact weapon and it knocked you down? Maybe your empty hand or knife skills beat the guy you are ground fighting with, but you have another attacker 15 feet away that also needs to be dealt with?

You can't predict how you will end up on the ground and that you won't need a pistol while you are there.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This assumes that you are on the ground because someone is wrestling with you at the time. Might you have tripped while backing up? Maybe you got hit with an impact weapon and it knocked you down? Maybe your empty hand or knife skills beat the guy you are ground fighting with, but you have another attacker 15 feet away that also needs to be dealt with?

You can't predict how you will end up on the ground and that you won't need a pistol while you are there.
    Uhhh...

I was using the Scenerio that Evan (Quoted below) threw out as a basis for the Answer that you quoted...

What about those cases where FoF students were wrestled to the ground and had their Serpa mechanisms fail, leaving their handguns cemented inside their holsters?

As I answered Evan later in the Thread I have never had my Serpa fail me. in Years of training and Real World usage?!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have used a Serpa in LOTS of training and real life scenarios with never a problem.

And I do believe this. I also believe that you have much more direct training and time with a SERPA than I or most people reading this.

But that doesn't negate the fact that some other people's experiences have been different, and that it was directly linked to the poor design of the holster and its locking mechanism, which this thread is highlighting.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    And I do believe this. I also believe that you have much more direct training and time with a SERPA than I or most people reading this.

But that doesn't negate the fact that some other people's experiences have been different, and that it was directly linked to the poor design of the holster and its locking mechanism, which this thread is highlighting.

You call it a poor design...I view it as a good design with a particular weakness for those who frequently become soiled. All holsters have weak points. If you're afraid of stuff getting jammed behind the lever, then find another type of holster which doesn't have that issue.

Like I said, though, if the spring itself breaks too-frequently under normal conditions, jamming the locking mechanism, that's a problem they need to fix.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you're afraid of stuff getting jammed behind the lever, then find another type of holster which doesn't have that issue.

Agreed. :yesway:

Like I said, though, if the spring itself breaks too-frequently under normal conditions, jamming the locking mechanism, that's a problem they need to fix.

I also agree that people's definition of "normal conditions" does vary, and that the SERPA could (and does) work for some people.

Top Bottom