• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't think doc is outraged, I think he's just mentioning that people should consider others when they speak. It's not even a PC thing in my mind

How old are you my friend. I ask as a point of reference only. There is a point in the age brackets in our society when the PC thing is there without realizing it. It is an everyday part of the life.
    Us :fogey: fellas see the changes that have come along and yes, we are confused and it does bother us to a point. Folks were invalids when I was young. No one took offense. No offense was intended.
    Has this made the world a kinder gentler place.??.....no it has not. It has made it an over sensitive, easily offended place. JMHO on a way of life I have watched change.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A little research goes a long way. This apartment is student housing at Clemson. It has reduced rates and all included utilities.

The Groves At Clemson, Student Housing Clemson University

THE GROVES CLEMSON RESPONDS TO ACCUSATIONS
    We are a military family and we welcome veterans and others who follow proper procedures to stay in our community which is federal law regulated. We are an exclusive student community that takes pride in the country we live in and our veterans who serve past, present and future. We are also a business that runs by rules, regulations and contracts. It is our responsibility to provide the safest environment possible to our students/tenants. Proper procedures were explained to both the tenant and the gentleman living there recently. The particular section that applies to this couple was set aside and initialed by the tenant as part of a signed contract. As it stands right now the tenant and her guest have refused to comply with a very simple procedure. Parents, guardians and grantors respect and appreciate our guest polices for the safety of their students who choose to live in our safe community. It is our goal to provide all of our tenants the same treatment no matter what gender, race, age, school or career they are or have chosen. Safety is our ultimate goal and we can not and will not jeopardize it.
    We apologize that the media has misrepresented this entire situation based solely on the statements of only one individual and made it appear to be something it is not.

rates page

RATES:

We have people looking for Roommates.
    1 bedroom -- we have them! Special! 1 Bedroom Suites $550 All Inclusive.
    2 bedroom -- we have them!
    3 bedroom -- we have them!
    4 bedroom -- we have them!
    5 bedroom -- we have them!
    6 bedroom -- we have them!
    7 bedroom -- there's a chance!

ALL INCLUSIVE $450.00 PER BEDROOM (1PERSON)

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Mental suffering/anguish is a significant and well documented issue in those with a significant disability, so yes, using terms that don't make them feel like a second class citizen can in fact alleviate some of their plight.

It certainly becomes a moving target. I obviously can't speak about every case but it seems to me the way they are treated and cared for would have a greater bearing than what term is used to classify their affliction.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    How old are you my friend. I ask as a point of reference only. There is a point in the age brackets in our society when the PC thing is there without realizing it. It is an everyday part of the life.
    Us :fogey: fellas see the changes that have come along and yes, we are confused and it does bother us to a point. Folks were invalids when I was young. No one took offense. No offense was intended.
    Has this made the world a kinder gentler place.??.....no it has not. It has made it an over sensitive, easily offended place. JMHO on a way of life I have watched change.

23, but raised by a very much non-PC family in an even less PC town, which I can elaborate on, but it will require me to use words not accepted on this forum :laugh:

You say no one took offense, but did an "invalid" ever tell you that? I'm quite sure that no offense was intended, but as I mentioned earlier...intentions don't matter to the person receiving the message. Perhaps someone that was called an invalid felt much better when the term was no longer used, but didn't realize that it had even affected them when it was the norm. I'm just spit balling, trying to speak for those that can't, etc. and so forth and so on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It certainly becomes a moving target. I obviously can't speak about every case but it seems to me the way they are treated and cared for would have a greater bearing than what term is used to classify their affliction.

You're right, it is a moving target, and while caring for them is obviously more important, we still have to treat the whole patient, which includes their mental and emotional well being.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    23, but raised by a very much non-PC family in an even less PC town, which I can elaborate on, but it will require me to use words not accepted on this forum :laugh:

You say no one took offense, but did an "invalid" ever tell you that? I'm quite sure that no offense was intended, but as I mentioned earlier...intentions don't matter to the person receiving the message. Perhaps someone that was called an invalid felt much better when the term was no longer used, but didn't realize that it had even affected them when it was the norm. I'm just spit balling, trying to speak for those that can't, etc. and so forth and so on.

I see your point.
    But what you are saying is all part of the everyone gets a trophy mind set. If I was an invalid that is what I would be. Accepting things as they are was a big part of my up-bringing.
    It gets rough on us older fellas to maintain PC when we see things through a different set of beer goggles.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yep. Can't stand the PC police culture. Of course I would never call or refer to a mentally handicapped person as a retard, that is not the context here clearly. Come on guys, I thought pseudo-outrage and adding words to the naughty list were primarily liberal media tactics. :dunno:

I'm sure I'll regret jumping in but, never stopped me before.....

People are surprised that I jump all over and berate people at work, but have patience with special needs people.
    Well, special needs people try, and work to the best of their ability.

The people I berate....... have the brains, but don't use them.

Big difference.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You're right, it is a moving target, and while caring for them is obviously more important, we still have to treat the whole patient, which includes their mental and emotional well being.

At 23 this is the world that you know. As CM has said, it was not always this way. Though terms have been invented to make things seem less harsh, I'm not so sure it is.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So the extra utility's used would put a burden on the landlord.
    I get it totally. I have been a landlord and was a stickler for the number of body's occupying the house.
    I might have bent those rules in this case though.

The husband's on leave, not discharged. Over before you know it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I see your point.
    But what you are saying is all part of the everyone gets a trophy mind set. If I was an invalid that is what I would be. Accepting things as they are was a big part of my up-bringing.
    It gets rough on us older fellas to maintain PC when we see things through a different set of beer goggles.

I knew folks that referred to themselves as "crippled up" or "shut in" or "gimpy". All that seems harsh by today's standards.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I see your point.

Definitely not of the "everyone gets a trophy mind set." If my point is coming off that way, then I am not explaining it well enough. There is a big difference between making everyone a winner, and pointing and laughing at the "loser." By that I mean, mental health can seriously be affected by physical illness, and using words to describe these people that make them feel like second class citizens only enhances their anguish. But aside from the actual health aspect of it, like I've said, for me it's a respect issue. No, everyone doesn't deserve a trophy, but I'm not gonna go tell the person with out a trophy that they are worthless. I'm gonna shake their hand, tell them good game, and be on my way.

As for accepting things as they are...you know I've gotta take issue with that. Just because we've always done something doesn't make it right. It might be human nature, but human nature and be a cold, misleading thing.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    At 23 this is the world that you know. As CM has said, it was not always this way. Though terms have been invented to make things seem less harsh, I'm not so sure it is.

I think this line of thinking is a way for the older generation to kindly say that they don't like the changes the younger generation has made. I'm sure the generation ahead of you was saying the same thing when you were 23.

In 20 years, the term special needs will be derogatory.

Perhaps, and at that point I will do my best not to use it, because for me this is a respect issue.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Perhaps, and at that point I will do my best not to use it, because for me this is a respect issue.

perhaps, but this is one group of individuals who I will stand with and call them whatever they and those who love them wish to be referred to as.

JINX!

HAHAHA, mbills2223 cannot post until I say his... crap. I already did. hilarious that our posts said the same thing and started with the same word and posted at the same time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Definitely not of the "everyone gets a trophy mind set." If my point is coming off that way, then I am not explaining it well enough. There is a big difference between making everyone a winner, and pointing and laughing at the "loser." By that I mean, mental health can seriously be affected by physical illness, and using words to describe these people that make them feel like second class citizens only enhances their anguish. But aside from the actual health aspect of it, like I've said, for me it's a respect issue. No, everyone doesn't deserve a trophy, but I'm not gonna go tell the person with out a trophy that they are worthless. I'm gonna shake their hand, tell them good game, and be on my way.

As for accepting things as they are...you know I've gotta take issue with that. Just because we've always done something doesn't make it right. It might be human nature, but human nature and be a cold, misleading thing.

I will be the 1st to say change is inevitable. Also will say not ll change is good. In the context you state, yup and I agree for the most part.
    I spent a lot of time coaching kids in Soccer, Football and basketball. I even helped with the kickball team my daughter played on. Some of the kids were very gifted. Some were avg. and some just lacked the skills. Thing is, on my teams everybody played. Everybody played hard and did the best they could. With some observation, coaching and hard work even my low skill level players added to the team. We taught them to use what the had and use tit well. We had some chubby kids that could not run fast. We built defenses around their ability's. They blossomed. In the 5 years i coached Soccer we won local division 3 times and overall 2 times. Many of my kids went onto the state team for all the marbles. 2nd in state 2 times.
    I understand.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think this line of thinking is a way for the older generation to kindly say that they don't like the changes the younger generation has made. I'm sure the generation ahead of you was saying the same thing when you were 23.

Oh it's natural to want to change the world and assume the old folks and their old ways won't work in the "new world". We were all there. The trick is to learn the lessons and avoid repeating the mistakes. Not everything the previous generations did was incorrect. Most everybody I've ever talked to will agree that as they got older, they realized how little they really knew when they were younger.

Top Bottom