• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yes. Goofball would have such an effect at the mill. Sure it would get my point across. Right after they fell over the railing laughing.
    Guys have been thrown off a floor for touching someone's food. I'm sure goofball would scare them.

And your word scares them? I get your point though.

Have you seen the Simpsons episode where Homer takes Bart out to do "manly" things and he takes him a steel mill?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And your word scares them? I get your point though.

Have you seen the Simpsons episode where Homer takes Bart out to do "manly" things and he takes him a steel mill?

What you say, and how you say it, can be as important as the actual fight.
    Wars are fought on perceptions.
    Fights are microcosms of wars.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Stupid is a choice and the other is something you are born with. I was in the bad habit of calling stupid people a tard. I was called out on it and it made me think that I didn't want to put a Mentally Handicapped person in the same low life pool as stupid people.

To each their own, but this is what works for me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know some of you guys are as old or older than me. I remember when people were referred to as retarded and it wasn't intended to be a slur or insult, it was a term used to describe their state of being. I know people that had retarded, slow, touched, "not quite right", people in their families and referred to them in any or those or similar term and it was not intended to disparage said family member. I'm not sure how constant changing of verbiage helps anybody.
    ^^^This^^^ It's only fairly recently that it's become non-PC. It was once a mainstream term to describe someone who was mentally [STRIKE]handicapped[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]disabled[/STRIKE] challenged. I don't often agree with Mr. J, but I recognized the allusion to the comedy movie.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The specific word used doesn't matter, the way it is used does matter.

When a word associated with a group of people is applied to someone outside that group as an insult then you are insulting both the individual (by saying "he is like one of them") and the group by saying it is so shameful to be a member of this group that lumping other people with you is an insult.

I am far from PC but I don't make fun of people that were born with real challenges and I don't use inclusion as a member of "that group" as an insult. Comparing someone you find reprehensible, disgusting or stupid to "one of those people" is an insult to "those people" as much as to the individual you are disparaging. :twocents:

PS: Being a liberal is a choice so I am okay with using "liberal" as an insult. :)

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    The specific word used doesn't matter, the way it is used does matter.

When a word associated with a group of people is applied to someone outside that group as an insult then you are insulting both the individual (by saying "he is like one of them") and the group by saying it is so shameful to be a member of this group that lumping other people with you is an insult.

I am far from PC but I don't make fun of people that were born with real challenges and I don't use inclusion as a member of "that group" as an insult. Comparing someone you find reprehensible, disgusting or stupid to "one of those people" is an insult to "those people" as much as to the individual you are disparaging. :twocents:

PS: Being a liberal is a choice so I am okay with using "liberal" as an insult. :)

:+1:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Those who have not served will never understand, the only thing they know is what they have been brainwashed to believe in movies, aint no movie ever come close to the real thing, you cant touch it, feel it or smell it thru a tv screen.
    What does any of that have to do with contract law?

Landlord is a class-A douchecanoe, but you know, property rights and all that. Are we to tell the landlord what to do with his property?

I suppose the issue is in how they are going to interpret who a "visitor" is. Seems ridiculous to consider a spouse to be a visitor.
    in this particular case, the lease is clear. An occupant not name on the lease is only allowed to reside in the unit for a period of 7 days.

Spousal status doesn't have a thing to do with visitor status. They could have been separated and filing for divorce when she moved in. Patching things up and having him live the because they are still legally married doesn't matter one whit. I just went rounds with a tenant last summer over a friend who was a "temporary" guest. Except the friend moved in the day the lease started and was still there 6 weeks later. They didn't want to kick the "guest" out (proof they intended him to live there all along) or be kicked out themselves, so I put a price on the lease violation and made a compromise. The 3rd person could stay but it would cost them more in rent.

the landlord in this storyis well within his rights to enforce the lease. And it's a bunch of hypocrites who are condemning him simply because the lease violator is a service member. i doubt the landlord could bring criminal charges since it is an occupancy issue, not a true trespass issue (though that line is blurry). And I have my doubts about his ability to unilaterally increase rent, unless the lease stipulates such changes are automatic when the proper triggers are pulled.

Top Bottom