• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Everything is considered a slur by somebody it seems.

Eh I think that is a bit of a cop out in the way that you intended it. But, in the end, you're right...the person responsible for assigning meaning to a message at the end of the day is the person receiving the message.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Wow JD for once I actualy agree with you and started the " slow clap" after reading your post!

someone needs to get off te PC high horse. Don't agree with it, fine. But don't berate someone for their own vocabulary and because you decided to take something out of context. No one is making fun of handicapped people

Yep. Can't stand the PC police culture. Of course I would never call or refer to a mentally handicapped person as a retard, that is not the context here clearly. Come on guys, I thought pseudo-outrage and adding words to the naughty list were primarily liberal media tactics. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. Can't stand the PC police culture. Of course I would never call or refer to a mentally handicapped person as a retard, that is not the context here clearly. Come on guys, I thought pseudo-outrage and adding words to the naughty list were primarily liberal media tactics. :dunno:

Bingo.

I have used these words/labels out of context to make a point. I have been around mentally challenged kids/adults. I would never offend them. I see nothing offensive in its use in this situation. JMHO.
    Lets stop with the PC police. Back to calling the landlord names. Much more fun.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    this-thread-just-went-full-retard.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm not "PC", I just try to respect all people and not use terms commonly taken as derogatory agains a group of people, especially if there is nothing that they did to cause it. Maybe that's the definition of PC, maybe it's just having respect. OP and I don't along, that's plain to see. Even so, it's worth a comment to cause reflection about our word choice sometimes.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

I'm not outraged by it, just like I'm not outraged by the use of any offensive term. I don't get offended that easily, but a lot of people do. When I say that it's on the same level as the N-word, I'm saying that it's a term that is now deemed derogatory by the group of people to which it refers, so using it in any setting is offensive to the respective group of people. It wouldn't be appropriate to use the N-word as a negative descriptor just because I'm not using it to insult an individual in the group to which it refers, just as it isn't appropriate to use the R-word as a negative descriptor just because it's not being used to insult an individual in the group to which it refers.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm not "PC", I just try to respect all people and not use terms commonly taken as derogatory agains a group of people, especially if there is nothing that they did to cause it. Maybe that's the definition of PC, maybe it's just having respect. OP and I don't along, that's plain to see. Even so, it's worth a comment to cause reflection about our word choice sometimes.

:+1:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I know some of you guys are as old or older than me. I remember when people were referred to as retarded and it wasn't intended to be a slur or insult, it was a term used to describe their state of being. I know people that had retarded, slow, touched, "not quite right", people in their families and referred to them in any or those or similar term and it was not intended to disparage said family member. I'm not sure how constant changing of verbiage helps anybody.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I don't particularly get along with the OP either, but I find much more genuine outrage in the story he started this thread about than in the title of the thread.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I know some of you guys are as old or older than me. I remember when people were referred to as retarded and it wasn't intended to be a slur or insult, it was a term used to describe their state of being. I know people that had retarded, slow, touched, "not quite right", people in their families and referred to them in any or those or similar term and it was not intended to disparage said family member. I'm not sure how constant changing of verbiage helps anybody.

We also used to refer to people that were paralyzed or otherwise "diseased" as invalids. Just because we (collectively) have always done something doesn't make it right.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I don't particularly get along with the OP either, but I find much more genuine outrage in the story he started this thread about than in the title of the thread.

I don't think doc is outraged, I think he's just mentioning that people should consider others when they speak. It's not even a PC thing in my mind

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We also used to refer to people that were paralyzed or otherwise "diseased" as invalids. Just because we (collectively) have always done something doesn't make it right.

At the time, I don't remember that being a derrogatory term either along with terms like "shut-ins". We somehow think if we can come up with a more pleasant sounding term, it will alleviate their plight.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I grew up with the word Tard being more of an abbreviation for retarded and was not used to insult. I understand how folks try and choose the words they use not to be offensive. I do but eventually we will run out of words folks.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

There is nothing in the story that leads me to be outraged. This is completely devoid of facts. As was stated, does this unit offer sliding scale rents based on occupancy? Do utilities come included and having more occupants raise those? This is a story written to garner public outrage and force the landlord to cave. I like information before I make decisions (most of the time).

It's a no-win situation for the landlord because it's a deployed soldier. Change the story to her mother as was stated up-thread. Or an adult child moving back in with mom. Is he still a jerk, or is she not honoring a contract she signed? Show me the lease and the rest of the terms and then I'll consider grabbing my pitchfork.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    At the time, I don't remember that being a derrogatory term either along with terms like "shut-ins". We somehow think if we can come up with a more pleasant sounding term, it will alleviate their plight.

Mental suffering/anguish is a significant and well documented issue in those with a significant disability, so yes, using terms that don't make them feel like a second class citizen can in fact alleviate some of their plight.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There is nothing in the story that leads me to be outraged. This is completely devoid of facts. As was stated, does this unit offer sliding scale rents based on occupancy? Do utilities come included and having more occupants raise those? This is a story written to garner public outrage and force the landlord to cave. I like information before I make decisions (most of the time).

It's a no-win situation for the landlord because it's a deployed soldier. Change the story to her mother as was stated up-thread. Or an adult child moving back in with mom. Is he still a jerk, or is she not honoring a contract she signed?

Right. When the next door neighbor hears that her neighbor's husband was allowed to stay in apparent violation of the contract, why couldn't she have her sickly mother and father come live with her so that she can take care of them while not in class?

Our veterans deserve our respect but they do not aquire additional rights not avaiable to the rest of us just because they served.

Top Bottom