• ...and so much more!
  • jwglock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Lafayette area
    Quoting previous post by ryanbr...

"Its all pretty simple here. Its private property, obey the rules, shoot, have a good time or simply shoot somewhere else." (Very true. Their right to decide on the rules & my right shoot somewhere else.)
    "Its not an elitist attitude for on duty law enforcement, uniform=could be potential target." (No one else could be a potential target? He's better than us=elite)
    "If you dont like it ,go become an LEO, then you may go in there on duty with your loaded firearm." (Not interested.)
    "Its really not that big of a deal to clear your weapon, go in and shoot, then reload your weapon once outside." (Laying aside my means to self defend is very much a big deal to me.)

Gentlemen, please understand I hope your business prospers and I wish you the best. The area certianly needs more places to shoot and to train folks in firearms usage. Hopefully more people will take advantage of what you offer and even bring in first time shooters/gunowners.

All I wish to articulate is that, in my opinion, this is the same type of reasoning (thinking) that people and politicians used to pass the ridicuous gun laws we have and continue to use to push more useless laws upon an ignorant public. Thinking calling for the "public safety". Thinking that says, "That's what the police are for". Thinking that apparentlly believes the goblins and miscreants will obey such laws as gun-free zones (or signs) or gun laws period as they set out to rob, rape and murder. Thinking that spreads responsibility to law abiding citizens rather than the lawless, the unsafe, and the irresponsible thereby taking away our rights rather than punishing the guilty.

Yes, if I were simply talking about having a good time and enjoying myself, no big deal... But I am not.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Quoting previous post by ryanbr...

"Its all pretty simple here. Its private property, obey the rules, shoot, have a good time or simply shoot somewhere else." (Very true. Their right to decide on the rules & my right shoot somewhere else.)
    "Its not an elitist attitude for on duty law enforcement, uniform=could be potential target." (No one else could be a potential target? He's better than us=elite)
    "If you dont like it ,go become an LEO, then you may go in there on duty with your loaded firearm." (Not interested.)
    "Its really not that big of a deal to clear your weapon, go in and shoot, then reload your weapon once outside." (Laying aside my means to self defend is very much a big deal to me.)

Gentlemen, please understand I hope your business prospers and I wish you the best. The area certianly needs more places to shoot and to train folks in firearms usage. Hopefully more people will take advantage of what you offer and even bring in first time shooters/gunowners.

All I wish to articulate is that, in my opinion, this is the same type of reasoning (thinking) that people and politicians used to pass the ridicuous gun laws we have and continue to use to push more useless laws upon an ignorant public. Thinking calling for the "public safety". Thinking that says, "That's what the police are for". Thinking that apparentlly believes the goblins and miscreants will obey such laws as gun-free zones (or signs) or gun laws period as they set out to rob, rape and murder. Thinking that spreads responsibility to law abiding citizens rather than the lawless, the unsafe, and the irresponsible thereby taking away our rights rather than punishing the guilty.

Yes, if I were simply talking about having a good time and enjoying myself, no big deal... But I am not.

Hard to argue with that logic. Reps to you!:yesway:

AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To all who have expressed the opinion that everyone should have the right to carry a loaded weapon anywhere within our facility.

I will simply say that the risks outway the benefits.

We have no way of ensuring that each and everyone who enters the shop are as weapon or safety savy as they should be and one accident is too many.

If this answer is not good enough then .....

Make a constructive suggestion as to how we can allow it safely.

One thing we have been considering is to allow members to carry because they wiil have been through our range orientation.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To all who have expressed the opinion that everyone should have the right to carry a loaded weapon anywhere within our facility.

I will simply say that the risks outway the benefits.

We have no way of ensuring that each and everyone who enters the shop are as weapon or safety savy as they should be and one accident is too many.

If this answer is not good enough then .....

One thing we have been considering is to allow members to carry because they wiil have been through our range orientation.

That would be one approach, Stan, and a good start.

Another would be "No unholstered or uncased, loaded firearams inside unless on the line." If you see one out that does not have a flag, unless you've told them to take it out, they leave until at least the next business day. No ifs, ands, buts, or refunds.

If it's in the holster, it's not going off, and that also minimizes firearm manipulation. Me, I'd not want to have a rule that says "unload it outside" and have someone do so and put a hole in his car or worse, but that's just my view.

As I said in PM, so I will say here: I respect your right to run your business as you see fit, and I completely applaud your openness and specific request of people to offer constructive suggestions. You just got yourself a rep. I'll be by to see you this week and buy a membership.

Blessings,
    Bill

AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We really do appreciate the input. That is why we put up the web site early.

I aggree that unloading in the parking lot seems to be more of a safety problem than leaving it in the holster or case.

Great point!

I am sure you will see a revision of the carry rule soon!

We are also looking for league and specialty shooting suggestions. Keep it clean!:):

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel

Unless you are at the firing line, facing down range:
    1. Loaded weapons must be carried openly in a proper holster.
    2. Holstered weapons may not be un-holstered, drawn, handled or touched for ANY reason.

jwglock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Lafayette area
    That would be one approach, Stan, and a good start.

Another would be "No unholstered or uncased, loaded firearams inside unless on the line." If you see one out that does not have a flag, unless you've told them to take it out, they leave until at least the next business day. No ifs, ands, buts, or refunds.

If it's in the holster, it's not going off, and that also minimizes firearm manipulation. Me, I'd not want to have a rule that says "unload it outside" and have someone do so and put a hole in his car or worse, but that's just my view.

As I said in PM, so I will say here: I respect your right to run your business as you see fit, and I completely applaud your openness and specific request of people to offer constructive suggestions. You just got yourself a rep. I'll be by to see you this week and buy a membership.

Blessings,
    Bill

Excellent idea!

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Congratulations. Will you be keeping the same rules as the prior range or will you be adopting your own? For example, you weren't allowed to shoot reloaded ammo there. But you were allowed to shoot .223.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Would you be open to making your range available for NRA firearms classes - including the personal protection classes (for a fee, of course)? Also, do you have a classroom on the facility? If so, we should talk!

Guy

What he said.

How come you are always out in front of me on these things, Guy? ;)

AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We will be offer class of all sorts and will be allowing use of the classroom by other groups (some fees may aply).

You will be allowed to shoot you own non-steel core ammo (factory or reload) except for older surplus which must be purchased from us in order for us to ensure that it will not harm our traps.

We reserve the right to refuse the use of any ammo if we think it will harm our traps. You may be required to provide a sample for us to test prior to use.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Good deal. It'd be a great place to go and test out different loads. What is your ETA for reopening? (sorry if I missed the date somewhere)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    More Reps for Stan, just for TRYING to placate everyone.
    I've known Stan for something over 5 years now, and a nicer guy you will not find.

He introduced me to the Friends of the NRA banquets about 5 years ago, and this year I volunteered as a committee member for the banquet.

You'll notice his screen name is Printmitch. Stan, until recently, also owned and operated Printworks of Lafayette, and has printed my business cards for the prior 5 years. Now that he's opening the range, he has liquidated his interests in the print business, so I'll need to find another printer?:dunno:

Stan was also one of my "sponsors", and was instrumental in my being accepted as a member of Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club.

He is by NO means a push-over! A "Dormant" U.S Marine (like me:D) and a life member of the NRA.

I've not met a soul who knows this man, but does not like him.

He's putting a great deal of time and effort into opening the new range. I applaud him for this, as well as taking a risk. He was comfortably ensconced in the printing business, but printers don't go bang ( at least under normal operation anyway) and I think Stan LIKES the bangs!

Good luck buddy, you know you'll see me in there!;)

BTW- Kudo's also need to go out to his partner Dave, and ALL of the folks that have showed up to help them get this venture off the ground. I hope he took pictures of what they walked into when they took possession of the building. You just would NOT believe the shape the place was in!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom