• ...and so much more!
  • Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Any updates on the status of the range? I think many of us took for granted that there was an indoor range available in Lafayette. Now that it isn't there, we miss it.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The last e-mail I got from Stan said they were aiming to open mid-December, IIRC. Even allowing them some wiggle room for unexpected startup issues, seems like they're likely to be up and running by New Year's.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Today's update:After I stripped all the cove base off the walls and removed the electrical covers from the receptacles and switches,it is closer to being ready for paint.The drywall trim is being steamed off and the walls mudded later today or Friday.The floor will still have the industrial epoxy coating but in a cheerful blue base with colored flakes.I have been volunteering as much as my schedule will allow even tho it takes me an hour to get there!:n00b: Also the room that formerly held the 'maintanence shop' aka gunsmithing room is now drywalled in where the window once was so no live monkey show there!The lighted display cabinets are safely lit compared to previous attempts at that endeavor.HEPA system being overhauled,revamped and actually working.Don't know why it wasn't before!:dunno: The showroom is going to be very nice...

Trying for a pre-Christmas grand opening btw!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    As most of you know, the indoor range in Lafayette was closed earlier this year. There has been much speculation as to what happened. The fact is that it was repossessed for financial reasons.

What you may not know is that I have been the co-owner of a small gun shop in Lafayette for several years, Applied Ballistics Systems, Inc. I have taken on a new partner, Dave Schnelle (aka: Indianahighpower) and we have collectively lost our minds.

We are in the final paperwork stages of acquiring and reopening the range on Olympia Drive. We will be expanding the retail area, giving the place a much need face lift, cleaning, upgrading the HVAC system, etc.

We hope to be open for business sometime in mid December. In the meantime, we will still be open at our location at 3461 Union St, M-F 2-6. If you would like more information please give me call: 765-426-4937.

I will be hanging out with Kokomo Dave Moon at the Indy 1500 gun show most of the weekend. Stop by and say hello.

Stan Mitchell (aka: Printmitch)
    Would you be open to making your range available for NRA firearms classes - including the personal protection classes (for a fee, of course)? Also, do you have a classroom on the facility? If so, we should talk!

Guy

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Today's update:After I stripped all the cove base off the walls and removed the electrical covers from the receptacles and switches,it is closer to being ready for paint.The drywall trim is being steamed off and the walls mudded later today or Friday.The floor will still have the industrial epoxy coating but in a cheerful blue base with colored flakes.I have been volunteering as much as my schedule will allow even tho it takes me an hour to get there!:n00b: Also the room that formerly held the 'maintanence shop' aka gunsmithing room is now drywalled in where the window once was so no live monkey show there!The lighted display cabinets are safely lit compared to previous attempts at that endeavor.HEPA system being overhauled,revamped and actually working.Don't know why it wasn't before!:dunno: The showroom is going to be very nice...

Trying for a pre-Christmas grand opening btw!

I've been helping Stan & Dave out with the dry-wall end of things, as well as a small amount of electrical re-arrangements.

I had to take a day off yesterday due to issues with recent dental surgery.

There's still a LOT to be accomplished, but these guys are on a mission, and I expect we'll see them open BEFORE New Years.:rockwoot:

You guys are going to like the new place!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Thanks for the updates guys. Just check out the web page, looks good but in firefox you have a rendering issue on your Safety page.

Also...
    No loaded firearms may enter or exit the building, even if you have an Indiana Carry Permit. (On duty Law Enforcement and ABSI Personnel are exempt.)

Not cool...even though I'm sure its something to do with insurance, its like saying I cant take an aired up basketball into a gym.

AppliedB

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It goes beyond insurance. You can't shoot someone with a basketball. The only place a loaded gun belongs on in/on a range is on the firing line. It is stirctly a matter of safety.

Thanks for the comment on the web site. We will see what we can do about fixing the problem.

Last edited:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    It goes beyond insurance. You can't shoot someone with a basketball. The only place a loaded gun belongs on in/on a range is on the firing line. It is stirctly a matter of safety.

A loaded gun belongs on my hip 100% of the time. If I am at the store, walking around town, or going to the range I shouldn't have to change my carry habits. I'm not trying to make this into a argument that has been beaten to death before on this forum, but I will be weighing the pros and cons of an indoor range for awhile before I come visit if I have to disarm myself at any time.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I will let Stan respond to why this is policy.

BTW-how much training have you had in correcting a malf? Observing all the necessary safety/range commandments? Been thru a certified gun handling/shooting school? Any of you cert'd gunsmiths or armorers? Know what to do when a squib/run-away or over charge happens?

Not sure what to do? Well,the guys running the store/range/armorer's area do have the training/will help/will keep the customers,range and themselves safe doing so. I can vouch for them but I sure as hell can't vouch for any person walking thru that door.Do you know what kind of folks enter a gunstore? Hokey smokes! Sometimes you wonder why they bother!!

Last edited:

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Its all pretty simple here. Its private property, obey the rules, shoot, have a good time or simply shoot somewhere else. Its not an elitist attitude for on duty law enforcement, uniform=could be potential target. If you dont like it ,go become an LEO, then you may go in there on duty with your loaded firearm. Its really not that big of a deal to clear your weapon, go in and shoot, then reload your weapon once outside.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    BTW-how much training have you had in correcting a malf? Observing all the necessary safety/range commandments? Been thru a certified gun handling/shooting school? Any of you cert'd gunsmiths or armorers? Know what to do when a squib/run-away or over charge happens?

750 hours over all. 500 hours in pistol, the remainder in rifle, shotgun and machine pistol.

Are we interviewing for range officer? If I'm a range officer can I be known as Major Malfunction or General Disorder?:D

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A matter of semantics. . . is that supposed to read ACTIVE duty LEO or ON duty LEO? Some agencies require off-duty officers to carry while off-duty.
    Just trying for clarification. . .:ar15::ar15::ar15:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    750 hours over all. 500 hours in pistol, the remainder in rifle, shotgun and machine pistol.

Are we interviewing for range officer? If I'm a range officer can I be known as Major Malfunction or General Disorder?:D

I'm talking about anyone off the street that wants to come in and shoot.

Kirk,you can be anyone you want.:nuts: You had me rolling with those two!

ryanbr,Spot on! good call!! Repped!!!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Only if I get to choose between Private Citizen, Corporal Punishment, Major Disaster, and Colonel Corn.

I also considered putting a spud in the front of my pants... So I could be called Dick Tater. :D

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom