• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So we should free the market, not double down on the unending cycle of control. More people could work if the government weren't making it illegal for them to do so.

Do you understand the fact that labor never was or can be a perfectly free market?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    All them folks out in L.A. are sure gonna miss their Big Macs and and fries. Bye bye Ronald. If the people flippin the burgers make $15 an hour then the guys up in the big corporate office are going to take a hit on their pay and they will be looking for a new job. They could maybe flip burgers.......

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Maybe this would help motivate people on welfare to get jobs, many of my employees flat out tell me the benefits they get from unemployment are wroth more than the money they make at a minimum wage job. Or we could cut welfare benefits that would be cool as well.

It won't motivate anyone. Should the fed increase minimum wage, it will then change the income range referred to as "poverty level" and give larger handouts to a greater demographic. It's a never ending vicious circle. If possible the liberals will keep entitlement programs commensurate or better than "minimum wage" to perpetuate the nanny state and give Dems a voting base.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I can't help but see that fraud would be difficult to control.

Fraud in this matter is easy to control. When you defraud me by claiming to know the law and claiming the ability to be an advocate who can give me an adequate or better defense, and then cannot do so, you will be back in court with me. We'll be sitting at different tables this time, though, and you won't be an attorney, you'll be a defendant.
    When I show the evidence of what you did and didn't do, you will also be able to sit more easily, because you won't have that big, thick wallet under one half of your butt.

A few of those, and you will either choose a different line of work or you will die of starvation, and that doesn't even take into account that while I handle such things civilly and through the system, others will choose to handle the matter themselves. For your sake, I hope your "doctor" and "nurse" and "medic/EMT" who take care of you are better qualified at their jobs than you were at being a lawyer.

(Note that I don't mean any of that as "pointed remarks" at MisterChester or anyone. The "you" is hypothetical.)

I do see the value of a certifying body to verify that people in a particular line of work are qualified and meet at least a minimum standard. I just don't think that that body has to be government.

Want an example?
    UL.png

Every product in your life that carries that symbol has been submitted to Underwriters' Laboratories for testing and listing. All are voluntarily submitted. Why? Because the people look for that symbol to tell them an item is safe. It can still be sold without that mark, if anyone will buy it, and maybe some will. UL, however, won't put their name and reputation at stake for something they have not tested.

In all the years I've used that example, no one has yet given me a good reason why this is not the model we should follow.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well, there is the little fact is illegal to practice law without being a lawyer, and you can't be a lawyer just by saying you are a lawyer....

My dad, rest his soul, was an attorney. He worked in the DA's office for a short time, then went to his father's practice. There was a man who officed with them, but was not a part of their firm, who never went to law school. There was a means of becoming an attorney at the time he did, called, "reading the law". To my understanding, he still had to sit for the Bar exam and he still had to be licensed, but he was able to skip that very expensive stumbling-block that otherwise would have kept him from the practice of law.

I don't know if that method is still available anywhere. This was in Texas, and probably the 1940s or earlier when he sat for the Bar. (I tried looking for him in Google, but the only listing I found for him was a political endorsement from 1972.) He shared their offices for around 50 years, if not longer. No typo, so obviously, he knew his business.

I support there being a Bar exam. Government licensure, however.... not so much. Which is to say, "not at all."

Blessings,
    Bill

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    It won't motivate anyone. Should the fed increase minimum wage, it will then change the income range referred to as "poverty level" and give larger handouts to a greater demographic. It's a never ending vicious circle. If possible the liberals will keep entitlement programs commensurate or better than "minimum wage" to perpetuate the nanny state and give Dems a voting base.

This unfortunately is the sad truth

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Minimum wage jobs aren't for careers. They are the first rung of the ladder. They provide a means for an entry into the workforce. To learn good work habits. To simply get a start.

All this will do is severely constrict that job pool, jerking the ladder out from under many of those just getting started, or just starting to look for an opportunity. Labor costs can't be arbitrary. A rise in labor costs have to be offset by increased value of labor and productivity.

If you can make your employer more money, you will share in the rewards. Too many people don't realize that they have to bring value.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I get a raise when I work more/harder.

Same here. I make more when I bring in more money.

In all fairness, in some jobs, some professions, your compensation is more directly tied into your performance--some way more than others. In many others though, your performance is nominally tied into your compensation. But take it from me, when you are in a large corporation, there are MANY other non-performance related factors that figure into your compensation treatment. Anybody's that worked in such places will, I think, agree with me, that the hardest working, most knowledgable, most skilled employee isn't necessarily the best compensated while the more "politically astute" or other categorized employees will often rise and be better compesated for reasons not having to do with ability.

That's not to say or diminish the fact we all choose to remain under said conditions of our own free will and we can, when we truly think we're not paid what we're worth move on to find greener pastures.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    In all fairness, in some jobs, some professions, your compensation is more directly tied into your performance--some way more than others. In many others though, your performance is nominally tied into your compensation. But take it from me, when you are in a large corporation, there are MANY other non-performance related factors that figure into your compensation treatment. Anybody's that worked in such places will, I think, agree with me, that the hardest working, most knowledgable, most skilled employee isn't necessarily the best compensated while the more "politically astute" or other categorized employees will often rise and be better compesated for reasons not having to do with ability.

That's not to say or diminish the fact we all choose to remain under said conditions of our own free will and we can, when we truly think we're not paid what we're worth move on to find greener pastures.

Yep, I can confirm, have worked for said corporations. Many times the hardest, most diligent workers are stepped over in favor of someone who's performance is okay but they are 100% "Yes" people who kiss a lot of butt.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yep, I can confirm, have worked for said corporations. Many times the hardest, most diligent workers are stepped over in favor of someone who's performance is okay but they are 100% "Yes" people who kiss a lot of butt.

Bosses see value in their employees in different ways.

I've had employees that are good employees in that they know their jobs, work hard and are knowledgeable. That doesn't mean they are the most valuable if I'm looking for support in making necessary changes to improve my operation. "Butt kisser" is a subjective term. What you may call butt kissing may be support I need to make changes needed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No two ways about it- a loss of freedom for all.

I'd rather the state have this power, than the Fed's. Sure this runs contrary to the free market, but it is actually is consistent with the founder's ideals about where the powers of govt reside.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'd rather the state have this power, than the Fed's...

I do not disagree. I even agree that the state does have this power under the "general police powers" (state constitution dependent). I just disagree with the policy. This is what representative republic is all about. Some policies get enacted, other don't, depending upon who has the political power.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Does this take affect immediately? I'm headed to LA for business in a few days. Crap! The cost of my ritual of stopping at the In N Out burger by LAX is going to cost a fortune now! :soapbox:

A double double animal style is ALWAYS worth it.... But yeah, it's gonna cost you a few ducats in LA.... :D

Top Bottom