• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Personally, I'm a fan of freedom for both the employer and employee. The market will set appropriate wages.

So, are you against the Bar of Indiana? If you believe in the freedom of employers and employees then if I decide I'm a lawyer or you wish to hire me as one, I should be able to declare myself a lawyer and to work as one without a governing body, registration fees, being appointed by a court, etc. The free market also includes free entry and exit, not protectionism of those in the occupation. If I'm not a good lawyer, the market will weed me out, right? That is how the free market works, after all.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So, are you against the Bar of Indiana? If you believe in the freedom of employers and employees then if I decide I'm a lawyer or you wish to hire me as one, I should be able to declare myself a lawyer and to work as one without a governing body, registration fees, being appointed by a court, etc. The free market also includes free entry and exit, not protectionism of those in the occupation. If I'm not a good lawyer, the market will weed me out, right? That is how the free market works, after all.

100% emphatically agree. People should be allowed to represent themselves in court or hire a clown to do the job. If people want professional representation, they should check out the potential lawyer's degrees, history, and reputation. Its not up to the government to decide.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Go for it.

I would add that my experience with pro-se litigants leads me to believe that the market would, indeed, weed out the unqualified quickly.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's to stop repeat offenders?

Well, there is the little fact is illegal to practice law without being a lawyer, and you can't be a lawyer just by saying you are a lawyer. When he says "go for it" you can't actually go for it.

State Ex Rel. Ind. State Bar Assn. v. Osborne :: 1961 :: Supreme Court of Indiana Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: Indiana Law :: U.S. Law :: Justia

So, no freedom for that employee to draft wills any longer due to an injunction, not the "free market".

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Control. Its a corrupt tool to limit competition and monopolize the legal industry. Government licensure is in no way consistent with free markets.

Same with doctors? Sure, the market will weed out the incompetent. The real money will be in undertaking, however.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    What's to stop repeat offenders?

Wise consumers will look at the lawyer's degrees and other marks of reputation. Voluntary organizations could review attorneys' credentials and give their stamp of confidence; this could be used as a marketing tool to draw in customers. Anyone who hires a lawyer with no degrees or credentials will get the kind of representation they paid for.

This could be applied to all industries. Government licenses can and should be abolished.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Same with doctors? Sure, the market will weed out the incompetent. The real money will be in undertaking, however.

100% yes. I should be able to seek the treatments I want, from the providers I choose. That's consistent with free markets and free choice.

Wise consumers will check the credentials and reputation of their chosen doctor. Hospitals will stake their business reputation on hiring competent staff.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Well, there is the little fact is illegal to practice law without being a lawyer, and you can't be a lawyer just by saying you are a lawyer. When he says "go for it" you can't actually go for it.

State Ex Rel. Ind. State Bar Assn. v. Osborne :: 1961 :: Supreme Court of Indiana Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: Indiana Law :: U.S. Law :: Justia

So, no freedom for that employee to draft wills any longer due to an injunction, not the "free market".
    they are denying my FREEDOM

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Wise consumers will look at the lawyer's degrees and other marks of reputation. Voluntary organizations could review attorneys' credentials and give their stamp of confidence; this could be used as a marketing tool to draw in customers. Anyone who hires a lawyer with no degrees or credentials will get the kind of representation they paid for.

This could be applied to all industries. Government licenses can and should be abolished.

I can't help but see that fraud would be difficult to control.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Once again, my fear is they'll run more business out of that state along with many of the people that vote for the people that enact this crap....and they'll infect other states with their silliness.

Be nice GFGT - My business and I left the state 11 years ago. And I hope that I haven't infected Salem with any "silliness".

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    100% yes. I should be able to seek the treatments I want, from the providers I choose. That's consistent with free markets and free choice.

Wise consumers will check the credentials and reputation of their chosen doctor. Hospitals will stake their business reputation on hiring competent staff.

I agree with Rambone on this - government licensure is a means of restricting trade and is based on the premise that I am too dumb as a consumer to figure out who the quacks are....

Top Bottom