• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    So, I'm curious. If I was making $15.00 an hour at another job (presumably with more responsibility, higher technical difficulty etc to justify my higher wage) why wouldn't I go and present my rather impressive resume to McDonalds and get an easier job for the same pay?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, I'm curious. If I was making $15.00 an hour at another job (presumably with more responsibility, higher technical difficulty etc to justify my higher wage) why wouldn't I go and present my rather impressive resume to McDonalds and get an easier job for the same pay?
    Why not argue for more pay at the existing job? What was minimum wage previously? $7-something? So, if you made double minimum previously, you should be making double minimum ($30/hr) now!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Why not argue for more pay at the existing job? What was minimum wage previously? $7-something? So, if you made double minimum previously, you should be making double minimum ($30/hr) now!

That is also true, I suppose I was going with the easiest possible option (i.e. same pay for easier work) but heck so long as we're just handing out the corporation's money let's have it all out.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012

Intellectual Fulfillment.

I think I'd kill myself working a boring job.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    OK- $15 may well not be a living wage. The minimum wage shouldn't be. Just don't give the libs and those who like to tell others what to do with their money- any ideas. They may well agree that $15 isn't enough.

For one you'd have to move to an area with a higher standard of living. You might make more on paper but the costs would be higher. Your quality of life wouldn't necessarily get better. If anything it's not a good idea because you'd be in a higher tax bracket, so it's possible your quality of life would decrease even if you made more on paper.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Which succinctly explains why unions advocate for a higher minimum wage even though very, very few, if any, of their members make the minimum wage.

When inflation rears it's ugly head...at the same time as increasing unemployment, which Keynes told us was impossible, but Jimmy Carter learned otherwise, we'll just "solve" that issue with more government intervention. That always works.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Which succinctly explains why unions advocate for a higher minimum wage even though very, very few, if any, of their members make the minimum wage.

When inflation rears it's ugly head...at the same time as increasing unemployment, which Keynes told us was impossible, but Jimmy Carter learned otherwise, we'll just "solve" that issue with more government intervention. That always works.

Point of order. :rules:

While you didn't say it directly, this alludes to Mr. Carter being the worst president we have ever had. That information is about six years out of date.

That is all.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Point of order. :rules:

While you didn't say it directly, this alludes to Mr. Carter being the worst president we have ever had. That information is about six years out of date.

That is all.

It refers simply to "stagflation" which was a phenomenon unheard of to Keynesians pre-Carter. We have not yet experiences significant stagflation during the Obama presidency. We have seen increasing unemployment at times, slight employment recoveries and inflation in certain sectors, but not overall increasing unemployment and inflation at the same time....yet​. This is not to say that the economy has been all smiles. Far from.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    It refers simply to "stagflation" which was a phenomenon unheard of to Keynesians pre-Carter. We have not yet experiences significant stagflation during the Obama presidency. We have seen increasing unemployment at times, slight employment recoveries and inflation in certain sectors, but not overall increasing unemployment and inflation at the same time....yet​. This is not to say that the economy has been all smiles. Far from.

The stagflation era didn't really go away until Reagan's 2nd term. And to think stagflation my occur again is a little shaky. Inflation right now is being kept at bay by many factors, most notably being the money supply as it stands now and the value of the dollar has increased lately. Spending by most Americans has been slowly ticking up but not really fast enough to warrant any crazy inflation. Most cases of inflation now are due to predictable cost increases.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I say let's take the government out of it right now. I am going to start paying my employees company scrip they can only spend in my brand new company store.
    You don't think Walmart wouldn't pay their employees with vouchers only redeemable at their stores if they could get away with it?

We all know the government has overstepped the boundaries in a lot of ways. But you have to think about why and where these things start.
    For example why do we have an EPA...it wasn't because Big Business made a mistake, owned up to and quit. It's because even after they realized they were killing the environment they denied everything and continued polluting.

We wouldn't need a lot of the rules if we as a society would live under "Treat others like I liked to be treated" rule would we?

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    So what is a Khuana Burger going to cost me in LA when this is in effect?
    It's atasty burger and all but I am not paying $17 for a drive thru meal.

Top Bottom