Kut's Trump Approval Thread #1 (Starts Out at 100%)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    First of all, I think she is now a paid advisor. If she is unpaid, that makes it worse.

Second, she transferred into Wharton from Georgetown after 2 years. Daddy legacy and transfer do not have SAT requirements.

The top half ain't the way it works. Ever hear of a Princeton or Wharton grad with a C average?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    First of all, I think she is now a paid advisor. If she is unpaid, that makes it worse.

Second, she transferred into Wharton from Georgetown after 2 years. Daddy legacy and transfer do not have SAT requirements.

The top half ain't the way it works. Ever hear of a Princeton or Wharton grad with a C average?
    Is that anything like transferring into Columbia and then not releasing college records that probably didn't qualify for any laudity?
    :)

And yes, I'm just messing with you at this point. :D

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

QFT

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Is that anything like transferring into Columbia and then not releasing college records that probably didn't qualify for any laudity?
    :)

And yes, I'm just messing with you at this point. :D

Yes, you are. Badgering the deponent, counselor. I'll have you for sanctions if you keep it up! :rockwoot:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, I guess what I'm hearing is that the only reason Ivanka is even known is because of whose daughter she is. That may be true. But does that mean that she can't have any positive impact on what she does? I'm not making any argument that she deserved to be in that seat. I'm asking, did it result in anything negative outside of the act itself? In other words, did she cause a worse outcome than any other more qualified person Trump might have sent in his place. Or, even, did she cause a worse outcome than Trump would have?

I think it's fair to argue that Trump putting her in that chair could be seen as a political slight to the people who care more about that cause than he does. It's also fair to argue about the nepotism. But I really don't see the "privilege" argument going anywhere other than just exposing sour grapes. Lots of people have privilege and lots of less qualified people get put in those kinds of positions because of their privilege. Obama got to where he was because of privilege. Trump did too. Why should I whine more about this iteration of privilege than any of the others?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

The basic issue with nepotism is hiring them to give them jobs, which for most people, means money. Unpaid removes the most basic nepotism argument.

"Middle of the pack" (your words) is better than half of the "pack". This particular "pack" happens to be the top 2% of SAT takers. Or are you saying more than half of Wharton graduates with honors? (source, please)

How many high school graduates do you personally know who scored a 1466/1600 (or 2200/2400) on the SAT? Or above 1400/1600 (or 2100/2200) just to get in to Penn?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, I guess what I'm hearing is that the only reason Ivanka is even known is because of whose daughter she is. That may be true. But does that mean that she can't have any positive impact on what she does? I'm not making any argument that she deserved to be in that seat. I'm asking, did it result in anything negative outside of the act itself? In other words, did she cause a worse outcome than any other more qualified person Trump might have sent in his place. Or, even, did she cause a worse outcome than Trump would have?

I think it's fair to argue that Trump putting her in that chair could be seen as a political slight to the people who care more about that cause than he does. It's also fair to argue about the nepotism. But I really don't see the "privilege" argument going anywhere other than just exposing sour grapes. Lots of people have privilege and lots of less qualified people get put in those kinds of positions because of their privilege. Obama got to where he was because of privilege. Trump did too. Why should I whine more about this iteration of privilege than any of the others?
    From what has come out of the meetings, which I do not believe were recorded, she didn't say anything.

Which, based on recent* experience, is probably the best possible outcome.

*I would count "recent" as going back to Colin Powell's last UN presentation.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The basic issue with nepotism is hiring them to give them jobs, which for most people, means money. Unpaid removes the most basic nepotism argument.

so, you think people scramble for senior positions because of the salary? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Middle of the pack" (your words) is better than half of the "pack". This particular "pack" happens to be the top 2% of SAT takers. Or are you saying more than half of Wharton graduates with honors? (source, please)

Yes, I am saying that more than half the Wharton class graduates with honors. If you want to refute my claim, do your own research. Honors vary by class and are based upon GPA, not the median or mean.

How many high school graduates do you personally know who scored a 1466/1600 (or 2200/2400) on the SAT? Or above 1400/1600 (or 2100/2200) just to get in to Penn?

Besides me? Why would I care? Besides, that isn't the same for transfer and legacy students, or did you miss that?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Are we really equating SAT scores to diplomatic qualifications? I had a 1400+ SAT and I think the very notion is freaking ridiculous. I was unaware that high school algebra, geometry, or reading comp etc. had anything to do with foreign affairs...

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Yes, I am saying that more than half the Wharton class graduates with honors. If you want to refute my claim, do your own research. Honors vary by class and are based upon GPA, not the median or mean.

No, if you want to make an unfounded claim and not back it up... that's up to you. Don't expect anyone to buy it, though.

Besides me? Why would I care? Besides, that isn't the same for transfer and legacy students, or did you miss that?

No, I didn't miss that... it's an unknown... what is known is that she graduated with honors, or in your words, "in the middle of the pack." My contention is that is a far from average pack to be in the middle of... it is a quite exceptional pack. Or did you miss that?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are we really equating SAT scores to diplomatic qualifications? I had a 1400+ SAT and I think the very notion is freaking ridiculous. I was unaware that high school algebra, geometry, or reading comp etc. had anything to do with foreign affairs...

Blah SATs are for Yankees. I took the ACT and called it a day.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I had no idea there was a geographical split, I took both. Maybe because North Dakota was just a territory at the time of the Civil War?

I think I remember taking both. That would have been nearly 40 years ago though. Some schools have dropped or are considering dropping test scores as criterion for considering acceptance. GPA, extra curricular activities, etcetera, they say are better indicators of the quality of students.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think I remember taking both. That would have been nearly 40 years ago though. Some schools have dropped or are considering dropping test scores as criterion for considering acceptance. GPA, extra curricular activities, etcetera, they say are better indicators of the quality of students.

I agree with this generally... but I think the standardized tests hold more weight because the vast disparity in schools, grades, and teachers. Not all 3.5s are created equal.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No, if you want to make an unfounded claim and not back it up... that's up to you. Don't expect anyone to buy it, though.

You mean: you don't buy it. Don't assume everyone believes you to be correct. If you're familiar with Ivy League rankings, please feel free to refute my claim. Otherwise, you are just one solitary dissent.

No, I didn't miss that... it's an unknown... what is known is that she graduated with honors, or in your words, "in the middle of the pack." My contention is that is a far from average pack to be in the middle of... it is a quite exceptional pack. Or did you miss that?
    Her father bragged that she graduated "summa cm laude", which is a lie. She graduated well down in the rankings at the lowest honors level.

My point stands. She is not a brilliant star among all of the stars in the heavens. She's at best, an asteroid.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Part of the negatives include SAT preparation, which didn't happen back when a 1400 meant qualification for Mensa (still does for those who took it back then).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I agree with this generally... but I think the standardized tests hold more weight because the vast disparity in schools, grades, and teachers. Not all 3.5s are created equal.

Oh. I agree. The tests really tell the end product of the education student have received up to that point.

Top Bottom