• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    THIS! I've wanted to go the M1a route for a long time but looking at it, diminishing returns after a point. Gave up when a local dealer had a Polytech for 1K (and beat up, no additional parts and didn't even have a magazine), wouldn't be talked down, wouldn't go lower, then next week, it was gone, someone snapped it up. Truely a $700 M1A and someone overspent on it. THAT's why I abandoned that route. lol The platform is nice, but if I want to do long range, I'll stick to a bolt gun and spend UNDER a stock M1A for a supergun, lol And yes, I've shot many M1As including a dealer sample M14, they are nice, but not THAT nice for the price.

I hate that has been your experience. It has been such a great gun to me. Won ISRPA Highpower Rifle State Champion in my class the 2nd year I had it (a long, long time ago and it wasn't the overall win). I love the platform and think every rifleman at some time in their life needs to have the experience of shooting it, or better yet owning it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Indyjohn, I won the prone rapid stage of the M1A match one year at Camp Perry. 100 with 7X's. The prize was a XD 9 pistol. The biggest prize I ever won with a rifle. I still have the pistol.

Seems like this thread has turned into an oldtimer reminiscing thread about an antique rifle.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Indyjohn, I won the prone rapid stage of the M1A match one year at Camp Perry. 100 with 7X's. The prize was a XD 9 pistol. The biggest prize I ever won with a rifle. I still have the pistol.

Seems like this thread has turned into an oldtimer reminiscing thread about an antique rifle.

Ah, back when I had good eyes... You had better luck than I at Perry. I really want to go back there one more time, it's been 13 years. Still raises the hair on the back of my neck..

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I hate that has been your experience. It has been such a great gun to me. Won ISRPA Highpower Rifle State Champion in my class the 2nd year I had it (a long, long time ago and it wasn't the overall win). I love the platform and think every rifleman at some time in their life needs to have the experience of shooting it, or better yet owning it.

Sadly, that and Garands. Love the Garands, great sights, amazing trigger for a military rifle, but even basement models are around 900+ for a good one (not some rattle trap, mismatched number, sewer pipe barrel model). 1903? Forgeddabout it, all the ones I've seen had shot out barrels or were barely recognizable in their sporterized form (one made me almost cry, they actually belt sanded off the sight bases, then cold blued it, looked terrible). And heaven forfend if I wanted a stock model M1 Carbine, everyone thinks theirs shot Hitler personally and want beaucoup bucks. Yeah, I could get a reproduction from Kahr, but I've shot the new ones and the originals, no comparison.

Yeah, I could join the CMP, but the time to do it has gone: The past two panics have cleared out any good shooters from their stocks, most of what I see on there now is meh. If I'm going to do it, I might as well do it well.

I have my iron sighted 1:7 twist 20" AR if I want to do "riflemanry", but I feel that those rifles have sunsetted to me. The old values of marksmanship seem to be elevated to whomever has 2k to spend. Kinda turns my stomach. Yeah, you're paying for quality, but how much of that 600-700 dollars of materials and labor are you actually getting for 1.5k?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I compete with AR's that I have far less than a grand into. I reject the whole concept of the "quality, high end" AR. That is all marketing talk.

A good barrel is really all that is needed for an accurate AR. One of mine still uses the stock Colt 1x7 chrome lined barrel.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I compete with AR's that I have far less than a grand into. I reject the whole concept of the "quality, high end" AR. That is all marketing talk.

A good barrel is really all that is needed for an accurate AR. One of mine still uses the stock Colt 1x7 chrome lined barrel.

Ha! With that same M1A I tried and tried and tried to get my NRA Expert card to no avail. One of the "old timers" Mr. Cheney if I remember correctly at one match told me "Go get yerself an AR and you'll solve that problem". 300 rounds later I had my Expert card. I think that was 2002 or 2003.

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks all!! i guess this project is going out the window due to lack of funds. I was just thinking since the military used them and no longer do then there would be a lot of them floating around. anyways thanks for awnsering the question!!

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Good thing about a Springfield is that it has a transferrable Lifetime warranty whereas the Norinco/Polytech doesn't. If something would ever go south, a M1A can be expensive to fix. The extra money to spend on a quality M1A w/a warranty is worth the little extra paid. Just my 2 pennies. YMMV

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Springfield does have a lifetime warranty that follows the weapon, not the owner. How do I know you ask? I called Springfield when I bought a used M1A, that had nothing with it, I wanted an owners manual. They sent me out nothing short of a "care package", that had a manual among other items. And the person on the phone told me of the warranty with out me asking about a warranty. To some it may not matter, to me it does.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Bradis had this M1A Standard Synthetic for $1209 to the door in 5/12/2012.
    IMG00261.jpg

It now looks like this.
    IMG00433.jpg

IMG00516.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph