• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The way I read this, is he suspects it would have just been a matter of time before his bolt fell apart anyway, even if he had never taken it apart.

The problems I see with this,
    1) You're assuming that's what he meant
    2) We will never know because he DID take it apart first
    3) He hasn't posted back to say if he got it fixed and what he did, new bolt? proper fitting of the USGI parts? Assembled correctly?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The problems I see with this,
    1) You're assuming that's what he meant
    2) We will never know because he DID take it apart first
    3) He hasn't posted back to say if he got it fixed and what he did, new bolt? proper fitting of the USGI parts? Assembled correctly?

Those are valid points. The only way I myself would buy a Polytech M1A is if I could get it for under $800 dollars. As for this thread I am done posting.
    I'll just go back to my original statement, and say if I knew where to buy one cheap, I sure as h*ll would not tell anybody and I would just go buy it myself.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    223gunner is just one of those people who will snob up a conversation. Im sure he is of the Steel is bad,anything not a busse or a kimber is junk class of people. (probably why he is on my ignore list)

There seem to be those everywhere. Yes steel will break and extractor.... But after how many rounds and how many extractors can you afford with the money you saved?

Everything breaks, Even USGI but lets not spread internet rumors to new shooters. And I dont have a dog in this fight other than I am an M14 addict. Wont sell any of my EBR's, Wont sell my $2500+ dollar scout, and dont own any polytech's.

But for the money the OP is looking to spend polytech and Norinco are in his price range. I advise the OP to research and form his own opinion. I certainly did.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    223gunner is just one of those people who will snob up a conversation. Im sure he is of the Steel is bad,anything not a busse or a kimber is junk class of people. (probably why he is on my ignore list)

There seem to be those everywhere. Yes steel will break and extractor.... But after how many rounds and how many extractors can you afford with the money you saved?

Everything breaks, Even USGI but lets not spread internet rumors to new shooters. And I dont have a dog in this fight other than I am an M14 addict. Wont sell any of my EBR's, Wont sell my $2500+ dollar scout, and dont own any polytech's.

But for the money the OP is looking to spend polytech and Norinco are in his price range. I advise the OP to research and form his own opinion. I certainly did.

I will defend myself here a little bit.
    1. We've never met.
    2. I am one of the most down to earth people you would ever meet.

For anyone that may need proof:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=3134
    and here: GunBroker.com - View User Feedback: .223gunner

People that have met me "know better" and my feedback speaks for itself.
    Yes I know you put me on your ignore list. And to test that, several months ago when you were looking for AR risers I tried to PM you.
    No response, I was willing to give you a deal on them, even though you take every opportunity to "bash" me, that my friend is why you get it back.

And yes I do not shoot steel cased ammo through $1000 dollar AR's, so for the purists out there, if you ever buy one from me you know it has never fired steel.
    They are not AK's.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    From my limited research, this stock costs upwards of $800 and you're worried about spending $1500 on the rifle to put it in?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Hum. Let's see:

Springfield Armory Loaded 1998 vintage. 10" groups at 1,000 yards, zero issues ever. 'nuf said.

DSCN2606_zps4376dda2.jpg

M1AScoped_zpsa5257961.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    And if you question the 10" groups at a 1,000 yards statement, walk 10 football fields from your house, turn around and hold your kid's school ruler across your chest.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If you stay glued to the auction sites one can be had for around $1200 but it will take time.

Exactly. And when they do pop up for that price, I buy them.
    $1650 as someone else suggested, is crazy. To the OP, good luck, because when they're "cheap", you better have cash on hand and pull the trigger. They go quick.
    And if you can get a Poly Tech for under $800, maybe you should. Anything higher than that is too much.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    And if you question the 10" groups at a 1,000 yards statement, walk 10 football fields from your house, turn around and hold your kid's school ruler across your chest.

Wow! Great shooting!:yesway:

And I bragged about getting all 20 rounds from one magazine inside an eight inch circle at 100 yards, using iron sights. When I showed the target to a friend, they said, "You didn't hit the bulls-eye!". So, I held the target up to my chest and asked them, "Tell me. Which one is the 'kill-shot'?"

All they were able to say was, "Oh...".

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Those are in hiding with the $300.00 Browning's, Colt's and S&W's..............

THIS! I've wanted to go the M1a route for a long time but looking at it, diminishing returns after a point. Gave up when a local dealer had a Polytech for 1K (and beat up, no additional parts and didn't even have a magazine), wouldn't be talked down, wouldn't go lower, then next week, it was gone, someone snapped it up. Truely a $700 M1A and someone overspent on it. THAT's why I abandoned that route. lol The platform is nice, but if I want to do long range, I'll stick to a bolt gun and spend UNDER a stock M1A for a supergun, lol And yes, I've shot many M1As including a dealer sample M14, they are nice, but not THAT nice for the price.

It's kind of like the Smith model 10: Millions made, most prolific handgun in history, can't find used ones for sale and if you do, they want $450 for a no box 70% condition model, even on auction sites. Heck, I put in an ad recently WTB a Smith model 10 and had nothing but offers for pitted revolvers that they wanted $400+ for b/c it was their dad's or similar sentimental stuff. I remember the $250 a gun days, but long gone. Maybe if a bunch of grandparents die off, we can start getting them again... :(

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    THIS! I've wanted to go the M1a route for a long time but looking at it, diminishing returns after a point. Gave up when a local dealer had a Polytech for 1K (and beat up, no additional parts and didn't even have a magazine), wouldn't be talked down, wouldn't go lower, then next week, it was gone, someone snapped it up. Truely a $700 M1A and someone overspent on it. THAT's why I abandoned that route. lol The platform is nice, but if I want to do long range, I'll stick to a bolt gun and spend UNDER a stock M1A for a supergun, lol And yes, I've shot many M1As including a dealer sample M14, they are nice, but not THAT nice for the price.

It's kind of like the Smith model 10: Millions made, most prolific handgun in history, can't find used ones for sale and if you do, they want $450 for a no box 70% condition model, even on auction sites. Heck, I put in an ad recently WTB a Smith model 10 and had nothing but offers for pitted revolvers that they wanted $400+ for b/c it was their dad's or similar sentimental stuff. I remember the $250 a gun days, but long gone. Maybe if a bunch of grandparents die off, we can start getting them again... :(

You must have missed the relatively recent (in the last year) S&W Model 10 reimport. Bud's was selling them for about $250 (I think they were Brazilian police guns or something), with a round or square butt option. I picked up two and gave the more reliable one to my brother as a HDW (he's not really a gun guy, so I figured a solid S&W Mod 10 with some low recoil .38 hollow points would be good for him and his wife to use). I kept the other one and had to do some tinkering on it. But it's rock solid now.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom