• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Was scrolling the web the other day and found an M1A stock kit that basically turns an M1A or M14 into an M39EMR. I decided this was pretty dang sweet and decided to look for an M1. None in the classifieds and all the ones on Gunbroker are between 1,500-2,000. To me that seems wayyy over priced, anyone know where to get them cheaper?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Was scrolling the web the other day and found an M1A stock kit that basically turns an M1A or M14 into an M39EMR. I decided this was pretty dang sweet and decided to look for an M1. None in the classifieds and all the ones on Gunbroker are between 1,500-2,000. To me that seems wayyy over priced, anyone know where to get them cheaper?

You are going to have a hard time finding one less than that unless it is either well worn or else from a second-rate manufacturer. The Springfield Armory weapon retails within that range new, the things are typically not that easy to find, and I, for one, would tell anyone thinking I would let go of my unfired example for less than I paid for it (which was a very good deal for the rifle I took home) to take a hike. Not trying to be harsh, just addressing the fact that you are likely hunting something you are not going to find short a stroke of incredibly good fortune.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    $1500 sounds about right for a minimum price. I paid $1400 for mine in June 2012 and wouldn't part with it for any amount of money. If I found any that were 'cheaper', I might not tell anyone and buy as many as I could afford.

Happy hunting, my friend!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Like others have stated, if I knew where to get one cheap, I would not tell a soul. And I would try to close that deal as quick as possible, before the owner changed their mind.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I saw one at Bradis for around $1500 new a week ago. Blued or parkerized (dont recall except it wasnt stainless) in synthetic stock.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Yeah about $1400 to $1500 is the entry point for a Springfield armory M1A. Most of the other makers run more. You can get a poly tech for about $1000 maybe a bit less but by the time you add a GI bolt and have it installed you are back to the $1500 range.

So short of building a time machine I don't think you are going to find any much cheaper. Once in a great while someone posts one around $1250 to $1300 but they are snatched up quick

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Yeah about $1400 to $1500 is the entry point for a Springfield armory M1A. Most of the other makers run more. You can get a poly tech for about $1000 maybe a bit less but by the time you add a GI bolt and have it installed you are back to the $1500 range.

So short of building a time machine I don't think you are going to find any much cheaper. Once in a great while someone posts one around $1250 to $1300 but they are snatched up quick

you dont need a gi bolt.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Chinese bolts are known to be soft. There is tons of info on it online.

Yeah no.... The places pushing that are the places trying to make you buy something....

Got a proof of a poly or norinco failure?

There are polytech's in excess of 10'000 rounds.

Dont feed a new shooter mythes and gunshop baloney

Soft metal being inferior is just a stupid myth that some magazines conjured up years ago. Yes the chinese recievers are softer, but it is not drastically soft where it wears out prematurely or effects function or have the heels blown out. I have read that article you talk about, all it states is the chinese receiver they tested "was softer" than that of the SA Reciever. Also, that same magazine article they took the chinese rifle and tested it un-oiled, out the box, with cosmoline all over it, saying "we want to see what these rifles do out of the box". That is just about the dumbest comparison you can do with any firearm. The chinese rifle caught fire later. :rolleyes: People have this mentality that everything must be built close to USGI specifications and tolerances, that isnt true...SA recievers are cast(which is normally frowned upon) and MOST SA receivers you can not even fit a standard USGI spec scope mount! Norinco/Polytechs are built closer to standard, but with softer metal...they can not even prove the softer metal makes it inferior! Many people are already jumping on the Chinese bandwagon.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yeah no.... The places pushing that are the places trying to make you buy something....

Got a proof of a poly or norinco failure?

There are polytech's in excess of 10'000 rounds.

Dont feed a new shooter mythes and gunshop baloney

Soft metal being inferior is just a stupid myth that some magazines conjured up years ago. Yes the chinese recievers are softer, but it is not drastically soft where it wears out prematurely or effects function or have the heels blown out. I have read that article you talk about, all it states is the chinese receiver they tested "was softer" than that of the SA Reciever. Also, that same magazine article they took the chinese rifle and tested it un-oiled, out the box, with cosmoline all over it, saying "we want to see what these rifles do out of the box". That is just about the dumbest comparison you can do with any firearm. The chinese rifle caught fire later. :rolleyes: People have this mentality that everything must be built close to USGI specifications and tolerances, that isnt true...SA recievers are cast(which is normally frowned upon) and MOST SA receivers you can not even fit a standard USGI spec scope mount! Norinco/Polytechs are built closer to standard, but with softer metal...they can not even prove the softer metal makes it inferior! Many people are already jumping on the Chinese bandwagon.

Really? Here's your proof. Polytech M14 Bolt Falling Apart. - M14 Forum

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I dont need to read his post... All I need is what Gus Fisher said...

"I would bet the extractor post was sticking out from the bottom of the bolt and the cartridge case hit it and popped it loose. You have to ensure the post sits below the level of the bottom of the bolt and if it sticks out, grind/file it down until it doesn't stick out.

HOWEVER, you may ALSO have a lot of carbon build up in the chamber if you don't clean it out well with the bronze chamber brush."

Failure to assemble or carbon build up

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I dont need to read his post... All I need is what Gus Fisher said...

"I would bet the extractor post was sticking out from the bottom of the bolt and the cartridge case hit it and popped it loose. You have to ensure the post sits below the level of the bottom of the bolt and if it sticks out, grind/file it down until it doesn't stick out.

HOWEVER, you may ALSO have a lot of carbon build up in the chamber if you don't clean it out well with the bronze chamber brush."

Failure to assemble or carbon build up

"I would bet blah blah blah" is the same as saying "I wasn't there and didn't examine it and therefore have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to pretend I know what happened anyway."

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I read the entire post from M14 forum, the guy said it shot fine till he added a scope mount. So he tore his bolt apart, then he started having issues.
    Really, this is your example of "soft metal" ? He clearly stated it shot fine until he added parts and then tore other parts apart.
    If you do some reading over there you'll see most of the problem is with parts being in/out of Mil spec, especially with older poly's/ Norinco's. Most of the guys from Canada, where you can get newer ones don't have much bad to say.
    That said if S&S can get what he's asking for his rifle more power to him. Just a quick look at the Springfield web sight , the standard in the plastic stock is going for $1650 , where their link takes you.

gunwatcher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    United States
    check out gunwatcher.com . We have over 60 stores, 2 auction sites, and 2 classifieds that you can pretty much search instantly. I saw a Springfield M1a standard model for $1287

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I read the entire post from M14 forum, the guy said it shot fine till he added a scope mount. So he tore his bolt apart, then he started having issues.
    Really, this is your example of "soft metal" ? He clearly stated it shot fine until he added parts and then tore other parts apart.
    If you do some reading over there you'll see most of the problem is with parts being in/out of Mil spec, especially with older poly's/ Norinco's. Most of the guys from Canada, where you can get newer ones don't have much bad to say.
    That said if S&S can get what he's asking for his rifle more power to him. Just a quick look at the Springfield web sight , the standard in the plastic stock is going for $1650 , where their link takes you.

This is straight from the M-14 forum post.
    I don't really think the different ammo had anything to do with it, and I swear I'm putting the bolt together correctly. I think it was just a matter of time before the plunger spring came loose again. This is really aggravating. The bolt itself is fine, and I don't have the kind of money to buy a brand new USGI bolt (about $200), and then have the gun converted to fit it for over $200.

The way I read this, is he suspects it would have just been a matter of time before his bolt fell apart anyway, even if he had never taken it apart.
    As far as that $1650 price tag, they can be had new at full retail at a LGS for between $1400 and $1500.
    That is probably suggested retail.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    check out gunwatcher.com . We have over 60 stores, 2 auction sites, and 2 classifieds that you can pretty much search instantly. I saw a Springfield M1a standard model for $1287

Thanks for the link, I was trying to think of this the other day. I thought I had saved it to my favorites, but apparently did not.
    It will be now.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom