• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I just watched an Instagram reel about certain V6 engines in Kias where the head bolts they used aren't long enough and they strip out the aluminum block leading to what appears to be a head gasket failure diagnosis. But it is obviously much worse. Could be something to look into.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I just watched an Instagram reel about certain V6 engines in Kias where the head bolts they used aren't long enough and they strip out the aluminum block leading to what appears to be a head gasket failure diagnosis. But it is obviously much worse. Could be something to look into.
    Honda stamped out something like 80k heads where the press for the valve seats was set on kill and cracked the heads. With a few thousand miles they start sucking down oil. Toyota replaced almost every 3.0V6 for a several year period for almost a decade.

Simple fact: every car maker sucks. Find one that you like and deal with it. I think Kia and Hyundai are building fun cars people want at a reasonable price which is why they're popular.

Spike10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2024
    Chicago
    I am considering a Kia. I would appreciate opinions based on personal experience...good or bad.
    Thanks, in advance.
    Just be very careful. I purchased a Hyundai from the Michigan City, dealer. We sat and talked price. I was offered a $47,000 for $40,000. They showed me a copy of the window sticker. I agreed. When I received the car after their prepared it. I asked where is the window sticker. I was told it is in the glove compartment. This was a late night sales. I parked in my garage. The next day Sunday I checked for the sticker. NONE. Then I went on the internet of the dealer. I researched the VIN #. I paid $40,000. for a $36,000.
    Monday Words were discussed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just be very careful. I purchased a Hyundai from the Michigan City, dealer. We sat and talked price. I was offered a $47,000 for $40,000. They showed me a copy of the window sticker. I agreed. When I received the car after their prepared it. I asked where is the window sticker. I was told it is in the glove compartment. This was a late night sales. I parked in my garage. The next day Sunday I checked for the sticker. NONE. Then I went on the internet of the dealer. I researched the VIN #. I paid $40,000. for a $36,000.
    Most dealerships suck. If you aren't careful, they probably all do.

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    We have three in my household. The first is a 2010 Kia Soul - currently at 145K miles and chugging along without a single major maintenance issue. The second is a 2021 Kia Seltos that my son, the basement troll, drives very sparingly. It only has about 25K miles on it, again, no maintenance issues of any kind. Last is a 2021 Soul that's at 40K miles, most of them driven in hard winter climates while my daughter was away at school. Again, not a single maintenance issue.

For me, the major concern with Kia and Hyundai is the "Kia Boys." For a while, certain Kia vehicles had a very specific and very easy to exploit security issue. Basically, if someone would get into the car, they could "hot wire" it almost immediately. As a result, anything with a Kia or Hyundai badge on it is at a much higher risk of being targeted by car thieves and miscreants. To whit, my daughter's 21 Soul was nearly stolen out of a parking garage in Milwaukee a couple of months ago - probably would have been if the on-site security hadn't seen the idiots and interrupted them. Still required replacement of the driver's door skin and handle mechanism - about $2500 worth of repairs. And yes, that car is "post upgrade" and has stickers reflecting same.

I was talking to a local LE guy in the Indy area, and he says stolen Kias are one of their most common property crime calls.

It's a shame, because Kia and Hyundai really do make some quality vehicles at reasonable prices with fantastic warranties.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We have three in my household. The first is a 2010 Kia Soul - currently at 145K miles and chugging along without a single major maintenance issue. The second is a 2021 Kia Seltos that my son, the basement troll, drives very sparingly. It only has about 25K miles on it, again, no maintenance issues of any kind. Last is a 2021 Soul that's at 40K miles, most of them driven in hard winter climates while my daughter was away at school. Again, not a single maintenance issue.

For me, the major concern with Kia and Hyundai is the "Kia Boys." For a while, certain Kia vehicles had a very specific and very easy to exploit security issue. Basically, if someone would get into the car, they could "hot wire" it almost immediately. As a result, anything with a Kia or Hyundai badge on it is at a much higher risk of being targeted by car thieves and miscreants. To whit, my daughter's 21 Soul was nearly stolen out of a parking garage in Milwaukee a couple of months ago - probably would have been if the on-site security hadn't seen the idiots and interrupted them. Still required replacement of the driver's door skin and handle mechanism - about $2500 worth of repairs. And yes, that car is "post upgrade" and has stickers reflecting same.

I was talking to a local LE guy in the Indy area, and he says stolen Kias are one of their most common property crime calls.

It's a shame, because Kia and Hyundai really do make some quality vehicles at reasonable prices with fantastic warranties.
    the thing that has been completely missed in all the sensationalism is all the push button cares are immune.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Friend had one, wouldn't start one day. Towed to his Mechanic, 2 Weeks there, scratching their heads. Towed to the Dealer, 3 Months later it has a new Main Wiring Harness. He's is out $7,000+ for the Repair......

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    We all know someone who has had problems with Kia, Ford, Chevy, Lexus......

It's a roll of the dice. Take care of it and chances are it will last a while.

Reactions: KLB

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Friend had one, wouldn't start one day. Towed to his Mechanic, 2 Weeks there, scratching their heads. Towed to the Dealer, 3 Months later it has a new Main Wiring Harness. He's is out $7,000+ for the Repair......
    Hate to know what my dad paid for that at blossom chevy. His chevy was in every couple weeks for a faulty cam shaft sensor.

They took him for alot. I do place some blame on him for going there in the first 50 times. Told him never to go there.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Don't. I buy car parts for a living. I bought a Hyundai / Kia engine for a customer's 2015 Sonata today. Knocking, out of warranty. I've lost count of how many I have bought, GM 2.4s too. So many.

The 2.4s are hot garbage, if they haven't failed, they will. The 1.6 are problem prone. The 2.0 are also garbage.

Take it form me, a professional car parts buyer... Never buy a...

Hyundai or Kia (bad engines, theft)

Nissan with a CVT (they all fail)

Any vehicle with a CVT (they all fail) except a Prius or 2019+ Corolla
    (Corollas from 2019 and up have combination 1 speed+CVT with a physical 1st gear to reduce wear)

A Prius from 2010 to 2015 (head gaskets fail around 150k miles)

Any vehicle from any brand with a 2.4 liter engine made after 2005
    (Toyota, GM, Chrysler, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, doesn't matter... they all have fatal flaws)
    ( ( Kia, Hyundai, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Fiat, and Mitsubishi 2.4s are the same engine block ) )

Any domestic hybrid (they're problem prone and not cheap to fix)

Ford V8 Triton 3 valve, 1.5 turbo, 1.6 turbo, 2.0 turbo, 3.5 V6, 3.7 V6, 3.5 V6 Turbo (garbage)

Ford Focus or Fiesta with the DPS6 dual clutch auto (actuators and and clutches fail)

GM V8 with displacement on demand

GM 3.6 or 3.0 V6 (timing issues), 2.4 (oil burning, timing), 1.4 Turbo (cracked turbos)

Chrysler V8 (bad lifters)

Chrysler 2.4 or 2.0 (hot garbage, electrical issues, thermostats, head gaskets)

Chrysler 3.6 V6 (oil coolers self destruct, killing the engine)

Chrysler based on a Fiat or any Fiat (problem prone)

Toyota 2.4 from 2002-2007 (stripped head bolts)

Toyota 1.8 made from 1998 to 2004 (oil burning)

Toyota Camry with panoramic roof (Leak)

Subaru - Used (oil burning, rust seized bearings)

Mitsubishi - Used (problem prone, cheap materials)

European vehicle (Lease them only)

ANY MEDIUM TO LARGE VEHICLE with a small displacement turbo engine
    (Fusion 1.5 Turbo, Malibu 1.5 Turbo, Cruze 1.4 Turbo, Mini Turbo, Kia/Hyundai 1.6 turbo, Silverado 2.7L 4cyl turbo)

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Don't. I buy car parts for a living. I bought a Hyundai / Kia engine for a customer's 2015 Sonata today. Knocking, out of warranty. I've lost count of how many I have bought, GM 2.4s too. So many.

The 2.4s are hot garbage, if they haven't failed, they will. The 1.6 are problem prone. The 2.0 are also garbage.

(Corollas from 2019 and up have combination 1 speed+CVT with a physical 1st gear to reduce wear)

(Toyota, GM, Chrysler, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, doesn't matter... they all have fatal flaws)

Ford 5.4 Triton 3 valve, 1.5 turbo, 1.6 turbo, 2.0 turbo, 3.5 V6, 3.7 V6, 3.5 V6 Turbo (garbage)

GM 3.6 or 3.0 V6 (timing issues), 2.4 (oil burning, timing), 1.4 Turbo (cracked turbos)

Toyota 2.4 of any year (stripped head bolts)

Toyota Camry V6 from 2018 (panoramic roofs leak)

(Fusion 1.5 Turbo, Malibu 1.5 Turbo, Cruze 1.4 Turbo, Mini Turbo, Kia/Hyundai 1.6 turbo, Silverado 2.7L 4cyl turbo)
    Ok then, what do you drive and what do you recommend?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

( ( Kia, Hyundai, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Fiat, and Mitsubishi 2.4s are the same engine block ) )

Ford 5.4 Triton 3 valve, 1.5 turbo, 1.6 turbo, 2.0 turbo, 3.5 V6, 3.7 V6, 3.5 V6 Turbo (garbage)

Toyota 2.4 of any year (stripped head bolts)

Toyota Camry V6 from 2018 (panoramic roofs leak)

Yes, please say what you would recommend!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Ok then, what do you drive and what do you recommend?

2013 Corolla, 2001 Camry 3.0 V6, and a 96 Ranger 3.0 V6

Recommend...
    Any Corolla after 2004, except Corolla XRS and 2014-2018 CVT
    Any Camry V6 1993 and up, except 2007 and 2018+
    Any Camry 4 cyl except 2002-2007 or with panoramic roofs
    Any Toyota Hybrid, except 2010-2015 Prius or Lexus variant
    Any Toyota or Lexus, other than exceptions above
    Any Honda or Acura, except https://www.slashgear.com/1545888/used-honda-models-steer-clear-of-at-all-costs/
    Ford V8 (except 5.4 and 4.6 Triton engines)
    GM V8 (except 2003+ displacement on demand)
    Ford Ranger (Any year except hybrid)
    Ford Maverick (except hybrid)
    Nissan Frontier
    Nissan without CVT, except any Versa (no buy)

1722558086718.png

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    There is nothing that could make me own a Kia now.

It's not even about the cars. The word is out that Kias are easy to steal. It doesn't matter if yours is fixed or not. They'll smash your window and wreck up the interior anyway. Insurers have wiped out any cost savings on purchase price by jacking up rates.
    Friend had his KIA broken into; he had a sticker on the window showing the "hack" was fixed. What thief is going to take time to read a sticker. $950.00 worth of damage done.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Oh man, sorry to hear that. Too late this time, but I recommend lots of homework and eternal vigilance while at the dealership. Do most of the early negotiations upfront, via email. And by all means, demand an OTD (Out the Door) price in writing. Get the Car Fax report. Make sure all documents match the VIN of the car that you are interested in. I used a web site called Car Edge, and highly recommend it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am at a point in my life that a new car is simply a matter of wanting it. I have driven older cars, bought cash for many years and saved my money for a new one right along.

The sad part is, there is nothing I want to buy. Large 4 door front V8, rear drive with a trunk. None to be had. No more Mercury's, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Catalina's Town Cars, Newports, Fury's, Coupe DeViile, you name it, all gone. I do not want to drive a truck or a SUV.

Now we look at everything that has already been mentioned. Eliminate CVT transmission cars, eliminate itty bitty engines that have to have turbo's and cam phasing to help tiny engines pull the load.

I really want it to Be a FOMOCO or GM product. Chrysler is a foreign brand now and they have pretty much quit making everything. No Chinese produced cars.

What is left? Pretty much nothing except a bank account with the money for my retirement car. Paying $50-$60K for a car I do not like that will be difficult to maintain, IF they can keep it running does not sound fun. Fun would be nice.

It is looking like finding a really nice 1970 Dodge Charger might actually be a rational purchase.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom