• ...and so much more!
  • kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    On the question of Chargers - way back when I was a cool guy, I had to pick up my new take home car from DC, and drive it to my duty station in Tampa. When I picked the car up (Hemi Police Package - the full Monty), our Field Office vehicle coordinator said - "don't try to dog it - it has a governor." My response - "Challenge accepted." If that critter had a governor, I never found it, and I more than doubled the speed limit on a lot of the I95 corridor (when traffic and weather permitted).

My main complaint with OUR Chargers was our agency cheaped out and didn't buy the AWD. I found it VERY eager to break the back end loose whenever driven with any kind of urgency on wet pavement. My second issued Charger was only a V6, also not AWD, and it was still WAY faster than I hardly ever got to drive it (posted in NY at the time). There was one time as duty agent responding to a murder/suicide scene in mid-south NJ that the V6 Charger peeled the paint off the NJ Turnpike in a couple of spots...

I like the Charger, a lot. But, now that I'm retired, I don't NEED a car that can run code and catch bad guys in pursuits. In fact, the last new vehicle we bought was a mini-van for my wife, who's refusing to admit that all of her kids are grown up and moving out of the house...

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    If we're talking about high end cars, I was also privileged to get to drive a LOT of high end vehicles while doing protection in Europe - both hard cars and soft. The top-end Mercedes sedans drive like they're on rails - really spectacular. But, for my money, the Audi's out-performed everything else, so if I was made of money and wanted a REALLY nice sedan that would still get up and go, I'd be shopping for an Audi.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If we're talking about high end cars, I was also privileged to get to drive a LOT of high end vehicles while doing protection in Europe - both hard cars and soft. The top-end Mercedes sedans drive like they're on rails - really spectacular. But, for my money, the Audi's out-performed everything else, so if I was made of money and wanted a REALLY nice sedan that would still get up and go, I'd be shopping for an Audi.

Audis look good and look good on paper, but the maintenance costs seem scary...

Reactions: Leo

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    the last new vehicle we bought was a mini-van for my wife, who's refusing to admit that all of her kids are grown up and moving out of the house...
    The chuckle is for this ^^^^.

SWMBO'd was the opposite. She would NOT be caught dead in a mini-van. We had family truckster SUVs to haul the kids and their friends.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am considering a Kia. I would appreciate opinions based on personal experience...good or bad.
    Thanks, in advance.
    The CVT transmissions are weak and prone to failure. Other cheaper foreign cars use the same transmissions. That’s all I know.

Honda and Toyota make their own and have a much better record.

MidwestLife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2023
    Central Indiana
    I purchased a used Sportage a few years back. It is a 2017 and had 15K miles on it at the time. There have been around three or four recalls on it. I did have one of the rear doors become stuck. I had forgotten, but Kia had sent a letter and said they would cover this door issue until something like 115K miles. When I took it in, I was reminded it was covered.

I was doing 5K oil changes at Walmart until just recently. I would say sometime after 90K miles, it started to really burn oil off. When I would make a sharp left through a roundabout, almost at the 5K change mark, the oil light started to come on. Dip stick was bone dry. Still just enough oil in it to prevent issues I guess. There are no knocks in the engine, still runs good. I am now doing oil changes at 3K miles, but at around 1,800 miles I have to add a quart of oil. I just changed the oil at the 3K mark and was told it was around one quart low. Guy at Walmart said it seems like these newer cars are burning oil a lot more than older cars did.

I am hoping to get to 150K miles before needing a new car. At the mileage I drive, that would likely be another two years. I'm considering taking it to a dealership to have the belts changed out as they are starting to look a little worn. Exterior and interior air filters are easy to change. The interior cabin filter gets very dirty and I likely don't change my often enough, but I never notice a change in the pressure coming out the vents. I also think my breaks might finally need work. It has been a few weeks but I did a slow speed hard break and heard a slight grinding noise. I have yet to hear it again. Basically, all the components in this vehicle have close to 110K miles on them and I've never had an issue so far.

The downside is that I have a model that is the target of the Kia Boyz. When I heard of the first lawsuit, I immediately went out and got the steering wheel lock. It was almost another year before those vehicles were targeted heavily in the Indy area. I use my lock everywhere to get into the habit of using it. I have an alarmed garage so I don't use it at home while it is in the garage. Anywhere else, small town, big city, etc., the lock is used.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Previous ownership is more important on a used car than miles or age or brand. Why do many cheap cars fail early? Well, cheap people buy cheap cars and refuse to maintain them (the stories I can share after almost 20 years in the service side of dealerships). Non-maintained cars don't last no matter the make or brand. Non-maintained, beat cars (think: Nissan Altima) end up being trash in no time flat.

I've been buying, driving and racing Hyundai's and Kia's since 2002. We just put our money where our mouth is last year for two new cars.
    You are 100% correct about owners. I worked a a Volvo dealer in 1978. It was a suburban area that was not far from a high crime area. We would see College professor nerds and very conservative people bring 10 year old cars in for a 200,000 mile inspection, and wanting any maintenance Item fixed. Their cars were in fantastic shape. Then we would see 8 month old models come in for only the free warranty work with all 4 corners damaged, The rims scrapped up and dented. drinks spilled on the interior, the dash screwed up from installing crappy stereos that just did not fit. These people would not even pay for an oil change when we could see that the factory oil filter was still in place.

MidwestLife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2023
    Central Indiana
    Be careful in Indy. Kias and Hyundais are still getting stolen left and right. I’d be curious if the insurance is higher on those because of it.
    My car insurance went up around $300/year. All I heard was other people's insurance also went up, no matter the manufacture. I believe that everyone's insurance went up to cover all the thefts. I know of a theft of a person with I believe was a 2019 year Sportage. Normally the fix is just a few grand or so, but maybe they really screwed his up. All I know if that they totaled out his vehicle and gave him a check just over five figures. I am now wondering if insurance companies are just figuring out it is cheaper to trash these vehicles than have to keep fixing them, unless the thieves total them out fleeing from the cops.
    the thing that has been completely missed in all the sensationalism is all the push button cares are immune.
    It really doesn't matter. The individuals stealing these vehicles lack any sort of logic skills. There are folks who took their Kia circle logos and made them into Ford logos. Some of these kids are so stupid and young, they might not even know the difference between a physical key ignition and push button ignition. There is a reason Kia change their logo. If they hadn't, there would be kids who are now ten years old, starting to try to steal 2023s three years from now because of some video their older sibling shows them from 2021.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Twice now, we have had Kia's and Hyundai's broken into at our work parking lot.
    They wrecked the ignition both times.

Last Friday, they succeeded and stole the car.
    I guess third time is the charm.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The chuckle is for this ^^^^.

SWMBO'd was the opposite. She would NOT be caught dead in a mini-van. We had family truckster SUVs to haul the kids and their friends.
    My wife was the same, until we were pretty much given a minivan. When it was time to replace that... Yep she picked a minivan. If she hadn't I was going to sell my car and keep her old one or sell both and buy a different one. They are handy.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I didn't. BMWs don't look good, especially now with the "need mOOORRRR GRRIIIILLLL!!!!" design. I've never been interested in Mercedes at all. So Audi was exactly what I meant.

The traditional grill looks fairly "classy". The new ones are just HIDEOUS, why would anyone want that look? I just don't get the draw. Granted, all the new models have it now and I'm glad I'm not in the market for any newer car as they all seem to suck. Don't those huge grills hurt aerodynamics catching all the frontal airflow?

Plus all the unwanted "features" (radar, ipads for dashboards, auto-parking, etc.) that just make them more & more unaffordable.
    1722792871673.png 1722792911340.png

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The sad part is, there is nothing I want to buy. Large 4 door front V8, rear drive with a trunk.
    Back in 2019, I was looking for the same thing. I'm a car guy and I like my 4 doors and I wanted back into a V8. Add the extra caveat of having a manual transmission. Talk about narrowing my choices. I settled on a 2008 BMW M3 sedan. 4.0l V8 with a 6 speed manual transmission. Soooooo much fun. I work on my own cars so it's not much different than what I'm already used to (I was driving a 2006 BMW 330i for 9 years when I found my M3). Last NA engine BMW ever made and the ONLY V8 ever installed in a 3 series.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I didn't. BMWs don't look good, especially now with the "need mOOORRRR GRRIIIILLLL!!!!" design. I've never been interested in Mercedes at all. So Audi was exactly what I meant.
    The traditional grill looks fairly "classy". The new ones are just HIDEOUS, why would anyone want that look? I just don't get the draw. Granted, all the new models have it now and I'm glad I'm not in the market for any newer car as they all seem to suck. Don't those huge grills hurt aerodynamics catching all the frontal airflow?

Plus all the unwanted "features" (radar, ipads for dashboards, auto-parking, etc.) that just make them more & more unaffordable.
    View attachment 370838 View attachment 370839
    I think the E90 platform has aged very well. I'm not sure how the current designs will hold up.
    YG8OIv8.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Mehhh most cars are going the larger grill way.

Probably have to have a large grill to cool off all the electronics and turbos.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Mehhh most cars are going the larger grill way.

Probably have to have a large grill to cool off all the electronics and turbos.

I'd say you're right. Lots of hp in smaller packages mean lots of heat in a smaller area. Still, the aesthetics are off putting to me. There are fewer and fewer new cars I have any interest in, which is likely a good thing given what anything I'd be interested in costs new.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Sitting here at the Hyundai stealership for a recall and the guy next to us got the good news/bad news.

Needs a new engine, cost of replacing it to him: $0.00

Top Bottom