• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    There is nothing that could make me own a Kia now.

It's not even about the cars. The word is out that Kias are easy to steal. It doesn't matter if yours is fixed or not. They'll smash your window and wreck up the interior anyway. Insurers have wiped out any cost savings on purchase price by jacking up rates.
    I would think that, by now, even the TikTok ***holes know that this applies to older models that still use a physical key.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Be careful in Indy. Kias and Hyundais are still getting stolen left and right. I’d be curious if the insurance is higher on those because of it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder what real world "higher insurance" costs really are?

Hell, my old vehicles PL/PD insurance cost went up by 20% during Bidenomics.

:spend:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I would think that, by now, even the TikTok assholes know that this applies to older models that still use a physical key.
    No Way Disbelief GIF (GIF Image)

• Haha
    Reactions: oze

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's pretty crazy that they didn't do ANY type of secondary key validation. I mean GM implemented it on nearly all their vehicles back in the 90's with the resistors. I don't know why they even bother taking the column apart, a screwdriver jammed into the lock cylinder should do the job.

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    I have had 7 different KIA's
    2 Souls, 2 Sportages, 2 Sorento's and 1 Niro hybrid
    Never any major issues with any of them. Just normal maintenance
    Right now I have my original Soul with 85,000 on it and my Niro which has about 70,000(and I get 50 mpg)
    Recommend to anyone
    The cars you don't keep long are always "The best car I ever owned" Let's see what happens when you get into what I call the bonus. Over 150,000 miles.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up my br-in-law from the kia dealership last week. His daily driver--no clue what model kia--had to go in for a total engine replacement. Still under warranty thank goodness, but the dealership was pretty blase about it, as if this happens fairly frequently.

Personally, I'd stay FAR away from any brand that has a habit of using self-cannibalistic engines.
    Makes me even happier we became a Toyota family.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The cars you don't keep long are always "The best car I ever owned" Let's see what happens when you get into what I call the bonus. Over 150,000 miles.
    Most cars nowadays will barely make it past 100k without major repairs. Heck. Just this week I'll be rebuilding or replacing (cvt transmissions get remans) 1) 2018 Chevy Equinox with just under 60k miles. 2) 2019 Nissan Murano (cvt transmission) with 46k miles. 2018 Ram 2500 with 99k miles, and a 2018 Yukon with 98k miles.

I see alot of Kias as well but they usually make it 150k miles. I also get alot of Kias where the customer thinks it's a trans problem but the catalytic converters are plugged causing a lack of power that's perceived as a transmission issue. Apparently kia had some issues with programming (at least that's their story) that the engines run rich resulting in the premature cat failure, but they did extend coverage on that issue

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have seen reports online you can be in the car and gone within a few seconds.
    With a free recall service, its fixed. And they clearly mark your car to show it cant be stolen with a screwdriver and USB cable.

They cheaped out and didnt put transponders in the keys.
    The fix is to reprogram the computer so that if you double press the lock fob twice to get positive confirmation with the horn beep, it disables the starting circuit and power door locks until its unlocked again with the fob.

Newer keys (at least 2019 up) have a circuit in it so that the previously used keys will still start it anyway and bypass it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's pretty crazy that they didn't do ANY type of secondary key validation. I mean GM implemented it on nearly all their vehicles back in the 90's with the resistors. I don't know why they even bother taking the column apart, a screwdriver jammed into the lock cylinder should do the job.
    The keyed cylinder just turns a rectangular lug to actuate the switch. Its coincidentally roughly the size of the gap in a USB A cable. The kids would pop the keyway off the column, then take the charging cable you left in the car and use it as a handle to turn the switch. :):

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Since we're throwing in other brands, I'll add this.

I'm on my third Chevy Equinox as a company car, 53k on her since May of last year. Just oil, filters, and wiper blades.

I put 182k on my 2020, with the same basic maintenence except that one got a new set of tires or two.

Unless I'm picking up a LOT from Menards, I take it over the Ram.

For reliable, cheap transportation, IMO it can't be beat.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Most cars nowadays will barely make it past 100k without major repairs. Heck. Just this week I'll be rebuilding or replacing (cvt transmissions get remans) 1) 2018 Chevy Equinox with just under 60k miles. 2) 2019 Nissan Murano (cvt transmission) with 46k miles. 2018 Ram 2500 with 99k miles, and a 2018 Yukon with 98k miles.

I see alot of Kias as well but they usually make it 150k miles. I also get alot of Kias where the customer thinks it's a trans problem but the catalytic converters are plugged causing a lack of power that's perceived as a transmission issue. Apparently kia had some issues with programming (at least that's their story) that the engines run rich resulting in the premature cat failure, but they did extend coverage on that issue
    I wonder how much of that is driver induced due to lack of maintenence (or how they drive it)...

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I wonder how much of that is driver induced due to lack of maintenence (or how they drive it)...
    Anything with a cvt transmission in my experience is junk. Nissan especially.

And when manufacturers tell people the don't ever need to change transmission fluid or it doesn't need changed till 100k miles, that's what people do. It's not so much lack of maintenance as it is manufacturers saying you don't need to change these fluids.

When it comes to transmissions, change your fluid every 30k miles. Average person, that's every 2 years. Will cost ya somewhere between $180-500 depending what you're driving. Cheap insurance in my opinion. That being said there's a lot of ****** designs that aren't gonna last no matter how well ya maintain them (ahem, GM 6 speeds and anything with a cvt).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Is it used? If yes, is it a 2015-2021? If yes, I see you live in Indy. Is IMPD still giving out The Club? If not, stop by an O'Reilly Auto Parts and get one from the impulse buy area.

If 2015-2021, is it a stick shift? That'll stop most millennial Kia Boyz.
    Push button start models also don’t suffer from that ailment.

Kia/hyundai owner since 2002. Had many versions and put hundreds of thousands of miles on them and a few thousand track miles as well. The answer is: depends.

We bought the wife a 23 Seltos fwd in December 22, now has 22k miles on it. Bought myself a 23 forte gt manual in April 23. Both are fantastic vehicles. Modern amenities, comfortable, fun etc. brand new loaded sedan with a turbo and manual for $25k is hard to beat. CUV that gets 35mpg and fits us and the dogs confortablt for $24k new is also hard to beat. Both come with navigation, apple car play (android auto for the troglodytes) and all of the latest safety equipment

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I can’t comment on service side. No one touches my cars outside of a warranty fix but me. All dealers have some shady people in them
    I'm the same.

I have a couple recalls I want to have taken care of which means I have to take the car in. Not looking forward to it.

When the car got a flat it took out the tpms for that tire. Not spending the $$ to replace it but since the light is on I know they will try their hardest.

Top Bottom