• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My mom has a 2007 Cadillac DTS. She and dad bought it about 10 years ago out of the parking lot of a nursing home in Clermont with 1,500 miles on it. It’s probably got about 40,000 on it now and other than a few easily fixed dings It’s in pretty nice shape. I may end up driving it soon as mom’s driving days are probably done. I’ve driven it many times before and it really is a comfortable way to go down the highway. It was the family’s way of getting down and back to Dale Hollow from Indianapolis every weekend for many summers.

Reactions: Leo

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am at a point in my life that a new car is simply a matter of wanting it. I have driven older cars, bought cash for many years and saved my money for a new one right along.

The sad part is, there is nothing I want to buy. Large 4 door front V8, rear drive with a trunk. None to be had. No more Mercury's, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Catalina's Town Cars, Newports, Fury's, Coupe DeViile, you name it, all gone. I do not want to drive a truck or a SUV.

Now we look at everything that has already been mentioned. Eliminate CVT transmission cars, eliminate itty bitty engines that have to have turbo's and cam phasing to help tiny engines pull the load.

I really want it to Be a FOMOCO or GM product. Chrysler is a foreign brand now and they have pretty much quit making everything. No Chinese produced cars.

What is left? Pretty much nothing except a bank account with the money for my retirement car. Paying $50-$60K for a car I do not like that will be difficult to maintain, IF they can keep it running does not sound fun. Fun would be nice.

It is looking like finding a really nice 1970 Dodge Charger might actually be a rational purchase.

Chrysler was the last one to build something like you want, the 300 had a V8, but you already poopoo'd them.

Ford didn't put a V8 in a non-Mustang car for a long time. You should probably look for some kind of lease turn in that is a couple of years old, lightly driven.

Reactions: Leo

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The sad part is, there is nothing I want to buy. Large 4 door front V8, rear drive with a trunk. None to be had.

They are still out there, but at the very top of the market and in the 6 figures. Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing and Audi S8 come to mind. Fast enough to peel your hairpiece off, but low 6 figures entry price new. I personally dig the looks of the Cadillac, and the previous CTS-V, quite a bit.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I am at a point in my life that a new car is simply a matter of wanting it. I have driven older cars, bought cash for many years and saved my money for a new one right along.

The sad part is, there is nothing I want to buy. Large 4 door front V8, rear drive with a trunk. None to be had. No more Mercury's, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Catalina's Town Cars, Newports, Fury's, Coupe DeViile, you name it, all gone. I do not want to drive a truck or a SUV.

Now we look at everything that has already been mentioned. Eliminate CVT transmission cars, eliminate itty bitty engines that have to have turbo's and cam phasing to help tiny engines pull the load.

I really want it to Be a FOMOCO or GM product. Chrysler is a foreign brand now and they have pretty much quit making everything. No Chinese produced cars.

What is left? Pretty much nothing except a bank account with the money for my retirement car. Paying $50-$60K for a car I do not like that will be difficult to maintain, IF they can keep it running does not sound fun. Fun would be nice.

It is looking like finding a really nice 1970 Dodge Charger might actually be a rational purchase.
    I was going to suggest a Charger, I bought the wife a '08 years ago and loved that car.

Looks like they made V8s all the way through 2023, so you should be able to find a clean one pretty easily...

I've had 5+ vehicles with the 5.7 Hemi and aside from broken exhaust manifold bolts in one of my Rams, they've been trouble free...

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    FWIW, I've been issued two chargers, one a V8/AWD, and they have been my favorite issued vehicle ever that didn't have tracks.
    My son was shopping for a Challenger; I went with him to help work his way through the ********. While he did, I wandered the lot; they had some nice Chargers as well as Challengers. My 2006 Charger Daytona in GoMango orange was my favorite car ever.
    Since 2023 was the last model year for the big ICE Hemis, a lot of dealers were not budging on price all year, and now they're stuck with them. My son got his 5.7 Liter Challenger for under $40 grand out the door. There was a Scat Pack 6.1 Liter Challenger in Sublime green with, get this, a manual transmission. I just had to drive it. It was a blast , but way too much car for me these days!

Screenshot_20240802_051159_DuckDuckGo.jpg

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They are still out there, but at the very top of the market and in the 6 figures. Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing and Audi S8 come to mind. Fast enough to peel your hairpiece off, but low 6 figures entry price new. I personally dig the looks of the Cadillac, and the previous CTS-V, quite a bit.
    I didn't get the feeling he was looking for a big sports sedan.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    2013 Corolla, 2001 Camry 3.0 V6, and a 96 Ranger 3.0 V6

Recommend...
    Any Corolla after 2004, except Corolla XRS and 2014-2018 CVT
    Any Camry V6 1993 and up, except 2007 and 2018+
    Any Camry 4 cyl except 2002-2007 or with panoramic roofs
    Any Toyota Hybrid, except 2010-2015 Prius or Lexus variant
    Any Toyota or Lexus, other than exceptions above
    Any Honda or Acura, except https://www.slashgear.com/1545888/used-honda-models-steer-clear-of-at-all-costs/
    Ford V8 (except 5.4 and 4.6 Triton engines)
    GM V8 (except 2003+ displacement on demand)
    Ford Ranger (Any year except hybrid)
    Ford Maverick (except hybrid)
    Nissan Frontier
    Nissan without CVT, except any Versa (no buy)

View attachment 370222
    so you buy the Toyota V6 that dies, the Ranger 3.0 that was a nightmare and a corolla. Interesting. We've seen over a million miles on these terrible horrible cars and the only one that ever not started had 200k miles and required a crank sensor (that cost $20 and took 10 minutes to change). The only one that needed an engine the owner neglected the timing belt for 180k miles (interval was 60k) and bent valves, but I bought it that way intentionally. HAd 2.4's, 2.0's, two 1.6 "problem prone" engines. Then there's the fact that many don't understand, nor know that the engine displacement is not the engine family. I've had 3 different families of 2.0's, two different 1.6's.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    so you buy the Toyota V6 that dies, the Ranger 3.0 that was a nightmare and a corolla. Interesting. We've seen over a million miles on these terrible horrible cars and the only one that ever not started had 200k miles and required a crank sensor (that cost $20 and took 10 minutes to change). The only one that needed an engine the owner neglected the timing belt for 180k miles (interval was 60k) and bent valves, but I bought it that way intentionally. HAd 2.4's, 2.0's, two 1.6 "problem prone" engines. Then there's the fact that many don't understand, nor know that the engine displacement is not the engine family. I've had 3 different families of 2.0's, two different 1.6's.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information about Toyota 3.0s... I've been an owner of this engine and active in the Toyota community almost as long as I've been active in this community, almost 15 years. Including being on the staff of very large web forms and Facebook groups. The only major problem this engine has is sludge build up when using conventional oil and not following recommended oil change intervals. That's not the fault of the engine. The Toyota MZ family has been a rock solid.

The Ford 3.0 OHV in the Ranger and Taurus is a good motor, although underpowered. It doesn't have many major issues.

Yes, engine displacement does not mean the engines are the same across different manufacturers... Except for the World Engine used in Hyundai's Kia Mitsubishis Chrysler Jeeps and Dodges. They're all a common design from originally by Hyundai and they suck. The Toyota 2.4 is a completely different engine, but has its own set of problems, head bolt threads in the block strip.

If you want to know what used car not to buy, look at the little subprime car lots on Keystone Ave in Indy and don't buy what's most commonly on them... Fusion, Focus DPS6 auto, Fiesta DPS6 auto, Malibu, Cruze turbo, Trax turbo, Encore turbo, Terrain 2.4, Equinox, Traverse, Acadia, Escape turbo, Fiat, new Cherokee, Caliber, Patriot, Compass, Dart, 200, 300 V6, Grand Cherokee V6, Optima 2.4 GDI, Sonata 2.4 GDI, Santa Fe 2.4 GDI, Sorento 2.4 GDI, Soul.

The place I work for won't even buy Kia/Hyundai, hasn't for years.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm not sure where you're getting your information about Toyota 3.0s... I've been an owner of this engine and active in the Toyota community almost as long as I've been active in this community, almost 15 years. Including being on the staff of very large web forms and Facebook groups. The only major problem this engine has is sludge build up when using conventional oil and not following recommended oil change intervals. That's not the fault of the engine. The Toyota MZ family has been a rock solid.

The Ford 3.0 OHV in the Ranger and Taurus is a good motor, although underpowered. It doesn't have many major issues.

Yes, engine displacement does not mean the engines are the same across different manufacturers... Except for the World Engine used in Hyundai's Kia Mitsubishis Chrysler Jeeps and Dodges. They're all a common design from originally by Hyundai and they suck. The Toyota 2.4 is a completely different engine, but has its own set of problems, head bolt threads in the block strip.

If you want to know what used car not to buy, look at the little subprime car lots on Keystone Ave in Indy and don't buy what's most commonly on them... Fusion, Focus DPS6 auto, Fiesta DPS6 auto, Malibu, Cruze turbo, Trax turbo, Encore turbo, Terrain 2.4, Equinox, Traverse, Acadia, Escape turbo, Fiat, new Cherokee, Caliber, Patriot, Compass, 200, 300 V6, Grand Cherokee V6, Optima 2.4 GDI, Sonata 2.4 GDI, Santa Fe 2.4 GDI, Sorento 2.4 GDI, Soul.

The place I work for won't even buy Kia/Hyundai, hasn't for years.
    Funny, I've had zero problems with my Equinox's ('20 and '23). 182k miles on the one with the 2.0T, current one has the 1.5T with 54k miles and climbing...

You're likely talking older models, not the latest generation though...

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Funny, I've had zero problems with my Equinox's ('20 and '23). 182k miles on the one with the 2.0T, current one has the 1.5T with 54k miles and climbing...

You're likely talking older models, not the latest generation though...
    Yes, I am referring to used vehicles 5 to 15 years old.

The '18 and up Equinoxs are completely different than the older ones with the major engine problems. I don't have enough experience with them yet.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yes, I am referring to used vehicles 5 to 15 years old.

The '18 and up Equinoxs are completely different than the older ones with the major engine problems. I don't have enough experience with them yet.
    From my experience, they are flawless.

This thread has drifted quite a bit from the OP, who was looking at 2-4 year old cars.

Personally, I don't but anything more than a handful of years old (unless it's something specific I want that's no longer made). IMO anything more than 5+ years old or with a lot of miles, how it was taken care of (or not) plays a huge role in its reliability and major mechanical issues.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

This thread has drifted quite a bit from the OP, who was looking at 2-4 year old cars.

Personally, I don't but anything more than a handful of years old (unless it's something specific I want that's no longer made). IMO anything more than 5+ years old or with a lot of miles, how it was taken care of (or not) plays a huge role in its reliability and major mechanical issues.

You are correct, and pre-COVID it was easy to pick up a used vehicle fresh off lease for as little as half the price of the comparable vehicle sold new. Not the case anymore. Older vehicles are more desirable due to cost.

The 2013 Corolla I'm driving today cost me $12,900 in 2016 with 39,000 miles... I have 105k now while most comparables have 120k and they're selling for around $11,000-13000.

Just before COVID my wife and I were going to buy a 2015 or 16 Camry for $17k... They are still selling for that price with 50,000 more miles... So we're keeping the 2001 which works just fine.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Previous ownership is more important on a used car than miles or age or brand. Why do many cheap cars fail early? Well, cheap people buy cheap cars and refuse to maintain them (the stories I can share after almost 20 years in the service side of dealerships). Non-maintained cars don't last no matter the make or brand. Non-maintained, beat cars (think: Nissan Altima) end up being trash in no time flat.

I've been buying, driving and racing Hyundai's and Kia's since 2002. We just put our money where our mouth is last year for two new cars.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You are correct, and pre-COVID it was easy to pick up a used vehicle fresh off lease for as little as half the price of the comparable vehicle sold new. Not the case anymore. Older vehicles are more desirable due to cost.

The 2013 Corolla I'm driving today cost me $12,900 in 2016 with 39,000 miles... I have 105k now while most comparables have 120k and they're selling for around $11,000-13000.

Just before COVID my wife and I were going to buy a 2015 or 16 Camry for $17k... They are still selling for that price with 50,000 more miles... So we're keeping the 2001 which works just fine.
    Yep, covid drove up the cost and limited the availability of good, clean used cars with how many fewer new cars were produced.

Add in how many recalls new ones have and it's a crapshoot...which is why I'm piling the miles on my Equinox and letting the Ram sit, let her last a long while!
    Previous ownership is more important on a used car than miles or age or brand. Why do many cheap cars fail early? Well, cheap people buy cheap cars and refuse to maintain them (the stories I can share after almost 20 years in the service side of dealerships). Non-maintained cars don't last no matter the make or brand. Non-maintained, beat cars (think: Nissan Altima) end up being trash in no time flat.

I've been buying, driving and racing Hyundai's and Kia's since 2002. We just put our money where our mouth is last year for two new cars.
    100%. It's amazing how many people treated their cars like crap and wonder why they have issues.

I can't recall the last "major" car problem I've had, it's easily been over 10-15 years ago...and I drive a lot more than the average American.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    There's another problem, especially to the truck and SUV market. Negative equity. Many new truck buyers are in over their head because they paid inflated pricing for pickup trucks and SUVs during and after COVID and are now unable to offload them to the latest models due to owing more money than they're worth in trade... and new trucks are starting to build up on dealer lots.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Interesting. I crossed shopped them once upon a time and picked the Taurus SHO. The Charger felt more like driving a tank. The Taurus was like driving in a bubble.

I've driven tanks but never driven a bubble, so maybe that's why I like it.

We had a personal Taurus, an '08 IIRC, for about 7 years and it was a nice family sedan. Whatever year they went back to the Taurus name from the 500.

Top Bottom