• ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    And the other thing.

Was practicing mag changes the other day & I dropped my gun in the grass.

I did not like this and would have liked it less in public. This was a first but usually firsts are precursors of either changes or seconds and thirds.

If I change so that I hit the mag release button with my weak hand thumb instead of using my strong hand thumb or middle finger things feel a lot better (more secure and never lose good position of strong hand) and the potential for bobbling the gun around in one hand seems to be eliminated.

Anyone know if there is a major drawback to the change?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    And the other thing.

Was practicing mag changes the other day & I dropped my gun in the grass.

I did not like this and would have liked it less in public. This was a first but usually firsts are precursors of either changes or seconds and thirds.

If I change so that I hit the mag release button with my weak hand thumb instead of using my strong hand thumb or middle finger things feel a lot better (more secure and never lose good position of strong hand) and the potential for bobbling the gun around in one hand seems to be eliminated.

Anyone know if there is a major drawback to the change?

I personally wouldn't get too shook-up about drops becoming habit forming. We tend to get lax when practicing (which is a strong sign we need to hang it up for the day) compared to a match. Having said that, if support hand releases make you feel more confident and secure, then that's the way to go.

I do see a drawback. Reloads will be slower because the support hand is wasting a fraction of time staying on the gun, rather than reaching/drawing a mag. I would guess something around 3-4 seconds over the course of match. Of course, this time is nothing compared to a DQ for dropping a gun:D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I do see a drawback. Reloads will be slower because the support hand is wasting a fraction of time staying on the gun, rather than reaching/drawing a mag. I would guess something around 3-4 seconds over the course of match. Of course, this time is nothing compared to a DQ for dropping a gun:D

Was afraid of that.

Think I'll go with what feels most secure for now. Maybe one day in the distant future 3 - 4 seconds per match will be more important to me.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Without trying to sound like I am an instructor, you do a kind of funky mag change where you change the way you grip the gun...from it's natural position of resting in the palm of your hand to where you'll grab over the top of the slide to hold it while you work the magazines. Did you drop it doing that type of hold? You'd be tons faster if you kept the gun up and your head up and worked your mag changes that way.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Without trying to sound like I am an instructor, you do a kind of funky mag change where you change the way you grip the gun...from it's natural position of resting in the palm of your hand to where you'll grab over the top of the slide to hold it while you work the magazines. Did you drop it doing that type of hold? You'd be tons faster if you kept the gun up and your head up and worked your mag changes that way.

This. 100% this right here.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

"It was such a simple thing, but like the jitterbug it plumb evaded me"
    J.Buffet

I think the answer to your question is yes, rolling the gun enough to work the clip release with middle finger of strong hand, thumb ends up over slide while finger is on button.
    Next time I catch one of you folks in a demonstrating kind of mood I will try to con you into showing me your mechanics slow motion, there is good stuff on the internet but it is not like seeing things real time.

Inherent funkiness might be related to broken right wrist that ended up aligned a bit different after all was said and done, and might not.

Thanks.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    J.Buffet

I think the answer to your question is yes, rolling the gun enough to work the clip release with middle finger of strong hand, thumb ends up over slide while finger is on button.
    Next time I catch one of you folks in a demonstrating kind of mood I will try to con you into showing me your mechanics slow motion, there is good stuff on the internet but it is not like seeing things real time.

Inherent funkiness might be related to broken right wrist that ended up aligned a bit different after all was said and done, and might not.

Thanks.

Ut oh, I'll save TF some time. Clips won't work in your gun. But mags will.
    Thus you have a mag release. :D

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    J.Buffet

Thanks.

There is almost no mechanics to it, that's the point. Use as little movement as possible while performing tasks and you will be rewarded with quicker times and fewer mistakes.

If you have a proper two hand grip on the pistol you should be able to hit the MAG release with your strong hand thumb without adjusting your grip much if any. And I don't have large hands so anybody should be able to do it.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    J.Buffet

Thanks.

Next time we are there just give a shout! It is possible to use the thumb on the support hand to hit the mag release so you don't have to shift anything in your weapon hand if it turns out that you aren't able to really manipulate the mag release with the weapon-hand thumb. The big key is to keep your head UP and the gun up in your workspace!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you have a proper two hand grip on the pistol you should be able to hit the MAG release with your strong hand thumb without adjusting your grip much if any. And I don't have large hands so anybody should be able to do it.

Ah Ha!!! It is a you busted your wrist thingie.

Griping as if I were a southpaw (:poop:) makes your assertion play out, the left thumb lays where the clip (this is still is a free country you know) release would be on a southpaw (:poop:) gun.
    Griping right handed (:bacondance:) puts the right thumb back toward the body. Twisting the right hand enough to get the thumb in the same relative position would put the wrist at a really awkward angle that would not be bone/joint healthy to shoot from.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ah Ha!!! It is a you busted your wrist thingie.

Griping as if I were a southpaw (:poop:) makes your assertion play out, the left thumb lays where the clip (this is still is a free country you know) release would be on a southpaw (:poop:) gun.
    Griping right handed (:bacondance:) puts the right thumb back toward the body. Twisting the right hand enough to get the thumb in the same relative position would put the wrist at a really awkward angle that would not be bone/joint healthy to shoot from.

I don't know what dream world I was in but I just tried it and I have to shift the gun in my hand as well when I hit the mag release.

I guess there is so much muscle memory involved I don't consciously move it around anymore.

But I never end up with my fingers on top of the slide, I just rotate the pistol slightly and reseat the gun in my hand when I slap the magazine home and bring the sights back on target.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    HUH? I'm lost.

It's perfectly acceptable to have to break your weapon-hand grip on your pistol in order to bring the gun back towards you a tad in order for you to hit the mag release button. I don't quite understand how you are releasing the mags on yours...you'll have to show me next time we are out. you going to be at the Appleseed weekend after next?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    HUH? I'm lost.

It's perfectly acceptable to have to break your weapon-hand grip on your pistol in order to bring the gun back towards you a tad in order for you to hit the mag release button. I don't quite understand how you are releasing the mags on yours...you'll have to show me next time we are out. you going to be at the Appleseed weekend after next?

I was the one who was confused. I have to break my grip I just do it completely subconsciously and didn't thought I didn't have to.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I was the one who was confused. I have to break my grip I just do it completely subconsciously and didn't thought I didn't have to.

LOL I was about to ask him how many thumbs and in what directions they are pointing in :D from the initial read it sounded like his thumbs were on either side of the gun and he didn't have a grip around the mainspring housing/back strap LOL

I have to slightly break my grip and I do with when I bring the gun up into my work space. There are a couple of tricks that you can do with your support hand to help get it into position.

Top Bottom