• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I wasn't talking about you, but HAHA! Shows how much I know about bottom feeders! I didn't even know the Taurus/Beretta had an external safety:laugh:

Learned something new today: check

My M&P22 trainer has an external safety and I hate it (plus all the other ridiculous mag disconnect stuff. I've been tempted to file it down as I can't find a way to completely take it off. Thankfully my M&P9 has none such features.

I'll go back to my wheelgun world now:D

ETA: Wait- just realized you were talking about your 1911. I know you have ran it but I can't remember seeing you shoot it. Surely I'm not the only one that has seen that safety-on business go down at the buzzer.

Yep I've seen it. More than once this past meet.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Your problem that day was your malfunctions during a string of fire. You usually take your finger off the trigger but leave your finger 'crooked' so it is hard to tell unless you are watching really closely.

Just remember to straighten it out like an arrow because you never know when you might take a spill and bash up your knee :D;)

Ah, I was thinking it was during a mag change. Good to know that my practice is working partially.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    There ain't an RB steels thread and I'm safe from thread jack guilt as you folks ain't talking about nothing, so I figured I'd ask the question here.

On the last run of the last stage of the steels match yesterday the voice in my head said 'try to be smooth this time'. So I did and got my best time of that stage, but it felt slowest.

Is smooth faster because you are basically slowing your muscles down to work at the same pace as your vision - recognition?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Hmmm.

So I've got a SigP229, it has a de-cocker (:eek:) but no external 'safety'.
    Normal carry would be hammer down.

It would give me a competitive advantage to leave the hammer back after chambering a round so that my first round fired would be with a single action 1911 ish trigger pull. This wouldn't matter to TJ but it is significant for mere mortals.

To my reckoning starting with hammer back on this gun would violate the spirit of "mechanical condition of readiness appropriate to their design" as I don't think the gun was designed to be drawn or carried hammer back. But perhaps I'm full of it.

Good question and I see where you're coming from, but I take it a whole different way. If a gun has a external hammer, it is to be carried cocked unless the design will not allow it. A lot of people that carry such guns don't carry them cocked, but that doesn't mean they were designed to be carried decocked.

Doesn't really matter either way. Rulewise if you're in SSP it has to be hammer down. If you're in ESP you can leave the hammer down or cocked, locked and ready to ROCK! Your choice, I know the one I would make:D

It the hammer is cocked, there MUST be a manual safety. If it has a hammer and a safety and is also DA, it is YOUR choice how to compete with it within the rules of your division.

There ain't an RB steels thread and I'm safe from thread jack guilt as you folks ain't talking about nothing, so I figured I'd ask the question here.

On the last run of the last stage of the steels match yesterday the voice in my head said 'try to be smooth this time'. So I did and got my best time of that stage, but it felt slowest.

Is smooth faster because you are basically slowing your muscles down to work at the same pace as your vision - recognition?

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is a car racing term meaning that you can make it around a track or down a dragstrip faster by not upsetting the balance of the car through jerky movement.

When applied here I believe i to mean that you learn the correct way of doing it while you go slow, your movements will be fluid and you will not have to make unnecessary and wasted motion and eventually will speed up by repeating it over and over.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

I don't know about the muscles/vision deal, but I think I can tell you what happened. Most likely you relaxed and shot that stage with your sub-conscious doing the driving. It simply "felt" slow because your active mind wasn't doing the work. It's odd, but when we are more mentally active, it seems faster, but its not, and stages are usually shot dirty. It's best to be mentally active before the stage, but at the line just let all of that mental prep take over. Hopefully everything else comes together as well such sight picture, trigger, reloads, etc. My guess would be that if you tried to remember anything about that stage, you can't. This is good, because it shows that you executed your plan exactly as you wanted to do.:yesway:

The test now is if you can repeat it.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Going smoothly is the key...some people are fast shooters and some people are accurate shooters. If a fast shooter tries to slow down they will just miss slowly, they may not actually see an increase in accuracy. At some point you do have to push yourself to go faster and if you have a breakdown you go back and just check the fundamentals of grip, sight alignment and sight picture. Coupling those with a proper press to the rear of the trigger and you have the building blocks of being a very competent shooter.

I think the idea is to just concentrate on getting the fundamentals down properly by ignoring the notion of going fast for going fast's sake and there is inherent speed in that. Once you get it right, the grip, sights, trigger, then you move to push yourself to go faster.:twocents:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It's odd, but when we are more mentally active, it seems faster, but its not, and stages are usually shot dirty.

All this Jedi talk.....:dunno:

Just shoot, reload, repeat. :draw:

Hmm, mentally inactive does explain some things.

For what it is worth, the gun weirdness curse was still in play Sunday. Out of about 11 shooters we had;
    Glock that didn't want to fire first round
    XDM that didn't want to manually clear last round
    Another STI went down
    More than normal problems with 22 jams.

Might be time to sacrifice a chicken or something.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Hmm, mentally inactive does explain some things.

For what it is worth, the gun weirdness curse was still in play Sunday. Out of about 11 shooters we had;
    Glock that didn't want to fire first round
    XDM that didn't want to manually clear last round
    Another STI went down
    More than normal problems with 22 jams.

Might be time to sacrifice a chicken or something.

Sounds like an exorcism could be in order. Or, folks could just [STRIKE]switch[/STRIKE] convert to Smiths- I see they did not make the fail list:D

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It would be a shame if it made the long trip & didn't visit the custom shop while it was there:)

Me and custom shops don't mix. Somehow, cosmically I'm cursed forever to the world of stock stuff :( I can't even change wiper blades from factory configuration to one of the new Wonder Wipers without having 40 different issues. Now I'll be exceptionally happy if I can get my girl back from there without having to pay like it went through their custom shop. THAT would be a most excellent Father's Day gift!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Off subject but worth knowing I thought.

Was checking what I could find on another ingo member (thinking of a gun trade, I don't own a 40 and that is just wrong) & found out that I could see his past conversations with other ingo members. Even saw stuff from a RB person there.

Didn't see anything anyone should worry about but it seemed obvious that the folks thought they were sharing private communication.

Tightened up all of my security settings to "Friend" but I suspect that if I had private communication with someone then you could still get to whatever I wrote through his personal info, assuming his sercuity settings were set loose.

Top Bottom