• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'm right handed. I use my middle finger of my strong hand to press the mag release. Works for me, I could never get using the strong hand thumb method to work for me.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've only ever saw you do your gun grab on your 1911's and not your Glocks. If you do have something that does prevent you from getting your thumb to the mag release it is actually easy to do with your support hand thumb. That way your weapon hand never has to move. It's not perfect or pretty but it does work.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've only ever saw you do your gun grab on your 1911's and not your Glocks. If you do have something that does prevent you from getting your thumb to the mag release it is actually easy to do with your support hand thumb. That way your weapon hand never has to move. It's not perfect or pretty but it does work.

Not perfect or pretty is home to me.
    Will try it for real at Owensboro, 25 - 35 round stages should provide some good practice.
    I think the Gumby grip thing sort of was not much of an issue with a G34 just due to the geographics of the grip & controls.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you are going to be at the Appleseed shoot the weekend after this, I'll be there and maybe I can see what you are having an issue with and maybe give a pointer or something to help you get past it if you'd like.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That looks like a plan! Thanks!

Ever seen a stage where you had to tack reload & then eventually re-use the clip that you put in your pocket?
    I have no idea why I wonder about these things.

Actually, I have--although the stage was not designed that way:laugh: First match out at WSSC. Had a brain break and tried to reload with two left in the cylinder. Realized two were left, pocketed it, loaded up, struggled on head shots, had to go back to those two to finish the course. It was the definition of a "duh" moment. I'm just glad I wasn't shooting 38 that day:D

That was the last time I planned my stages by mentally calling a reload. Now I just plan them 1-6, 1-6 instead of 1-6 reload 1-6. That day at WSSC I planned a reload after engaging a certain target. Instead, when I turned on that target my mind instantly said "this is the point- reload!" Good lesson learned the hard way.

As to the Bowling Green match, the range looks located at about 65 miles east of Owensboro. From my house, that's about a 1.5 hr drive. Not too bad.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've had to go back to a mag I tac loaded myself. It wasn't in the course description, but I changed out to insure I had enough in the gun to get a popper and a moving target and if it weren't for the 2 or 3 rounds left i that magazine I never would have been able to clear the stage. I was struggling on a particular reactive target and it took every round in the gun to get through the stage so it is possible!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That looks like a plan! Thanks!

Ever seen a stage where you had to tack reload & then eventually re-use the clip that you put in your pocket?
    I have no idea why I wonder about these things.

:facepalm:

Actually, I have--although the stage was not designed that way:laugh: First match out at WSSC. Had a brain break and tried to reload with two left in the cylinder. Realized two were left, pocketed it, loaded up, struggled on head shots, had to go back to those two to finish the course. It was the definition of a "duh" moment. I'm just glad I wasn't shooting 38 that day:D

That was the last time I planned my stages by mentally calling a reload. Now I just plan them 1-6, 1-6 instead of 1-6 reload 1-6. That day at WSSC I planned a reload after engaging a certain target. Instead, when I turned on that target my mind instantly said "this is the point- reload!" Good lesson learned the hard way.

As to the Bowling Green match, the range looks located at about 65 miles east of Owensboro. From my house, that's about a 1.5 hr drive. Not too bad.

TJ is about the closest guy to even using the "c" word and his are MOONclips... :xmad::xmad::xmad:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    :facepalm:

TJ is about the closest guy to even using the "c" word and his are MOONclips... :xmad::xmad::xmad:

There is a lot to be said for a high fiber diet.

Sounds like it would be good to have a better plan for the retained ammo than just cramming it in the most convenient pocket of whatever I happen to be wearing.
    Hate to buy one of those special garments with the big pockets because it seems real gamey to wear something for IDPA that you'd never wear otherwise.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    There is a lot to be said for a high fiber diet.

Sounds like it would be good to have a better plan for the retained ammo than just cramming it in the most convenient pocket of whatever I happen to be wearing.
    Hate to buy one of those special garments with the big pockets because it seems real gamey to wear something for IDPA that you'd never wear otherwise.

It is also against the rules to have special pockets for dropping magazines. They can't be held open, however standard vest pockets are AOK.

Top Bottom