Not open for further replies.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is a community first, more than a forum or anything else. Like brothers, we argue, but we shake hands and carry on. And when someone is hurting, we circle around them and do our best to help them along. If you can't see that, perhaps....well, it isn't my place to say. Doc will always have a place here when he wants it. As long as he is gone we will miss him, but I wish him the very best and hope he is well, peaceful and happy.

Someone rep this boy, I am out for the day!

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Obviously not. His comments are seldom constructive anyways. Is it election time? That's usually the only time we hear from him. Usually begging for votes.

This isn't about me, it's about John Kerry. Nor is it about Hoosierdoc. Who I feel bad for, by the way. Nobody should outlive their children.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I feel sorry for John Kerry. I sure hope he gets the best medical care that money can buy.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'm sorry to see such an unfortunate and painful accident happen even to a scumbag like John Kerry. But I agree that the hypocrisy is in full view. Kerry and other elites do NOT get healthcare in the same way that we peons do. He has what is essentially concierge medicine at taxpayer expense. In true elitist style he advocates for how all the rest of us should live (or die) but himself lives as royalty.

But as always, his diehard brain-dead liberal followers will hold a candle vigil for his speedy recovery so he can get back to the important business of giving the ayatollahs in Iran all the help they need to get atomic weapons.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You do realize the guy just finished burying his baby daughter, right? The rest of my thoughts on your post would truly earn me a vacation.
    What? That's the first I've heard of this. Well crap, that puts an entirely different light on things. He and his family will be in my thoughts. I certainly do not want to add to ANY family grief. If I did, I am truly sorry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, I've traveled and lived abroad a bit.

Universal healthcare is generally for residents and those on permanent visas. I've still got my Qatari medical care card somewhere. Once I was established on a worker visa, I could see the local doc for free. Prior to that, I had to pay out of pocket. I never had to see the local doc, because we had access to the military TMC on base and I never got hurt or ill beyond their capabilities. We did have some contractors injured in car wrecks and one in a stabbing. They did see local docs and had surgery in a few cases (the stabbing for sure, it was nearly fatal) and it was free and the level of care was fine.

When we travel to Europe, we buy travel insurance. The insurance will pay for some treatment in country, but if deemed needed they will medevac you back to the US with a cap of $1,000,000 for flight, ambulance waiting on the tarmac, and subsequent transportation and treatment. If you can't be moved, they'll pay to fly one person to your bedside (and your children, which don't count against the limit). If things go real bad, they'll repatriate your remains with the same limits.

The insurance costs about $100 a person for a two week trip. I'd expect that anyone of reasonable wealth or position would have the same options.

So let me ask this. Once the surgery is done, what's the rehab going to be like? I would guess that most of us would prefer to be home for that rehab, and would want to be able to have access to our friends, families, and perhaps our jobs. I know I'll be using my insurance to get home if the same happens to me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ZA Now
    Top Bottom