• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Sensible thoughts. I read the man's books and also some other things he claimed that don't seem likely. I'm no Ventura fan, but I think it's likely that this is a complicated and sad tale. With no way of actually knowing myself, my tendency is to believe that Kyle was a great warrior who sometimes gave in to the Texas Tall Tale when it suited the story. I have my doubts about the Venture story for a variety of reasons, and again, Kyle has claimed some other things which are unlikely, like killing a couple of car jackers for which there appears to be no record.

It's possible to be great and to be flawed. We are not the best thing we've ever done, we're not the worst thing we've ever done. We're all mostly just a bunch of goofy folks trying to make it through the day.

Well said. I've always thought that we sell others short by overly indulging in hero worship. It is possible to have profound respect for a person while also realizing that they may be prone to the common human foibles that we all are subject to.

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    To all the people slamming Ventura and sticking up for Kyle & vice versa, I have one question. Were you there? A jury heard the evidence and sided with Ventura. Furthermore, the settlement is being paid by the publisher of the book. Not the widow.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    To all the people slamming Ventura and sticking up for Kyle & vice versa, I have one question. Were you there? A jury heard the evidence and sided with Ventura. Furthermore, the settlement is being paid by the publisher of the book. Not the widow.

I don't group myself with those who side with Kyle. EVEN ASSUMING that Ventura was correct in his assertion that the truth was not told - I think that continuing to sue after the other party died was classless and without dignity. You are correct - I have no basis to judge whether the statements were true or false. And I have deliberately avoided that question.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't group myself with those who side with Kyle. EVEN ASSUMING that Ventura was correct in his assertion that the truth was not told - I think that continuing to sue after the other party died was classless and without dignity. You are correct - I have no basis to judge whether the statements were true or false. And I have deliberately avoided that question.

And if the printed story wasn't true, Kyle was no less classless and without dignity than Ventura. If Ventura suffered real damages, why should his case die with Kyle when his survivors are still profiting from the lie?

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Chris kyle could have left the details of the altercation out of his book and it would have still been an excellent read. The story was included to convey to the reader that he was a bad ass. It added nothing. The story diminished the book a bit as I sat there wondering why a young man at the peak of physical conditioning would beat on an old man?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    OK I just got on here....and didn't see anything about this so in case some of you didn't read the trial. The Jury was a hung jury and told the judge they couldn't decide and wouldn't be able to make a decision. The Judge ordered them to keep trying...then this is where it goes bad....the lawyer for Chris's widow who didn't have to decided to agree that that the majority of jurors can decide....I guess the idiot lawyer figured most were on his side.....they weren't. The lawyer said it was his decision....he gambled and lost. If he hadn't it would of ended in a hung jury, case over, Jesse has to decide if he whats to keep after it again. I think this is crap and never heard of this before, I always thought juries had to all or done either way.....no wonder so many hate lawyers, this one for Chris's widow was a idiot IMHO.
    So lets remember, not all the jurors believed Jesse either, and not all that heard the case thought Chris was a liar.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    And if the printed story wasn't true, Kyle was no less classless and without dignity than Ventura. If Ventura suffered real damages, why should his case die with Kyle when his survivors are still profiting from the lie?
    Yes, yes, going after the widow and child screams class and dignity! Especially when you are already wealthy and claim it isn't about the money...

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    OK I just got on here....and didn't see anything about this so in case some of you didn't read the trial. The Jury was a hung jury and told the judge they couldn't decide and wouldn't be able to make a decision. The Judge ordered them to keep trying...then this is where it goes bad....the lawyer for Chris's widow who didn't have to decided to agree that that the majority of jurors can decide....I guess the idiot lawyer figured most were on his side.....they weren't. The lawyer said it was his decision....he gambled and lost. If he hadn't it would of ended in a hung jury, case over, Jesse has to decide if he whats to keep after it again. I think this is crap and never heard of this before, I always thought juries had to all or done either way.....no wonder so many hate lawyers, this one for Chris's widow was a idiot IMHO.
    So lets remember, not all the jurors believed Jesse either, and not all that heard the case thought Chris was a liar.

Eeeeeeee penalty buzzer! This post violates the INGO "all or nothing rule." Mods please strike the post from the annals. Thank you.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, yes, going after the widow and child screams class and dignity! Especially when you are already wealthy and claim it isn't about the money...

If I'm driving and I hit your car, you want me to pay for it, correct? I have no insurance so you sue me. While awaiting trial, I die. Will you drop the suit and eat the loss or will you sue my estate (my wife and kid)?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It depends on what the "cost" is to continue the suit.

In conservative circles, Kyle called Ventura the equivalent of a kid toucher. He hates our troops. If that was said about you and it were untrue, wouldn't you seek damages?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If I'm driving and I hit your car, you want me to pay for it, correct? I have no insurance so you sue me. While awaiting trial, I die. Will you drop the suit and eat the loss or will you sue my estate (my wife and kid)?

If I'm independently wealthy and publicly stating it isn't about the money, then no I wouldn't proceed. Why would I?

Ventura made it abundantly clear that the suit was about a personal issue he had with Kyle and his story. Kyle is dead. Neither Kyle's kid or wife was a part of their beef.

Ventura did far more to damage his own reputation through this suit than was done by the story. Why do you think he is now back pedaling and claiming he was really only going after his insurance?

Just because you legally can, doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If Ventura thought a judgement would restore his reputation, he was wrong. It did bring him a lot of publicity and $1.8M...I guess you can't have everything.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    In conservative circles, Kyle called Ventura the equivalent of a kid toucher. He hates our troops. If that was said about you and it were untrue, wouldn't you seek damages?

Well, thats not exactly what you asked, but I will play. I think Ventura did far more damage to himself. At least more than he will recover from the Kyle family. He had an easy out and a chance to be the bigger man. He could have saved a ton of face but chose the low road.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only thing certain in my mind about this whole debacle is this: Pressing the issue (whether justified or not, whether right or wrong) after Kyle's murder plus the ensuing publicity has done more to damage Ventura's reputation than the claim made in the book ever could.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hey in the end, right or wrong is not the point. At least its not what is going to be remembered by the majority of the public. What will be remembered is that Jesse Ventura took an American hero's wife to court to clear his name and profited off of it. If all Ventura wanted to do was clear his name that would have been one thing, still not a classy move but it would be better than to walk away with big bucks. Like I said, at this point its not about right and wrong anymore. Its about perception and perception is everything. Ventura looks like a jerk and that is the image that most people will come to know him by.

Top Bottom