• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It appears the jury heard Kyle's own words and chose to believe Ventura over Kyle.

During two weeks of testimony in a federal courtroom in St. Paul, jurors heard a videotaped deposition from Mr. Kyle, who defended his writings as accurate. The jurors were presented an array of statements Mr. Ventura made on topics like religion and war over many years, and defense lawyers suggested that his reputation was already deeply complicated. Most of all, the jurors heard from witnesses with varying memories of one evening in a California bar in 2006 – the scene from the book that Mr. Ventura contended was false.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It appears the jury heard Kyle's own words and chose to believe Ventura over Kyle.

During two weeks of testimony in a federal courtroom in St. Paul, jurors heard a videotaped deposition from Mr. Kyle, who defended his writings as accurate. The jurors were presented an array of statements Mr. Ventura made on topics like religion and war over many years, and defense lawyers suggested that his reputation was already deeply complicated. Most of all, the jurors heard from witnesses with varying memories of one evening in a California bar in 2006 – the scene from the book that Mr. Ventura contended was false.
    Do you really maintain that winning an credibility argument with a dead man's estate is the same thing as winning one with him there in person? You know, where he can respond to your testimony...

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Looking at the history of this, it is a defamation suit. Kyle claimed the incident occurred, Ventura said it didn't. Unfortunately, since we don't know the facts we obviously can't determine who is right or wrong but if Ventura is in the right I don't think he's suing for money as much as he is to clear his name.

On the surface it sounds like a d-bag move on his part but I know if I was falsely accused by someone and their estate stood to make money off it I would go after whomever I needed to in order to clear my name.

Apparently there were witnesses that also said it happened. It's an asshat move but idk how he won?!?!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see the case is really making a big splash on the news this morning. So if he wanted to publicize what a loser douchebag he is, he has succeeded in doing that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So if a jury said it, it must be true? Really?

If a jury says it, it's a verdict. Nothing more.

We have witnesses who told conflicting stories. We have the guy who was at the center of it dead and unable to tell his side, in person, with the jury able to see him and assess him. We have the other guy able to fully explain his side with absolutely no fear that the opposing party will make a better appearance than him. "Kyle's side" is witnesses who do not have near the incentive to prepare for testimony or stick to their guns on cross like the actual defendant would.

Those of you who think that written words are the same as live testimony, you need to turn in your trial lawyer cards....oh wait.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So if a jury said it, it must be true? Really?

If a jury says it, it's a verdict. Nothing more.

We have witnesses who told conflicting stories. We have the guy who was at the center of it dead and unable to tell his side, in person, with the jury able to see him and assess him. We have the other guy able to fully explain his side with absolutely no fear that the opposing party will make a better appearance than him. "Kyle's side" is witnesses who do not have near the incentive to prepare for testimony or stick to their guns on cross like the actual defendant would.

Those of you who think that written words are the same as live testimony, you need to turn in your trial lawyer cards....oh wait.

Here's a thought. How about not going on national tv or writing books making claims against another individual if you have zero evidence to back it up? I realize this was a civil trial but wasn't the burden on Ventura to prove false claims were made and caused him harm? Are we to believe that any random number of potential jurors would be more biased to believe Ventura the kook over war hero Kyle? Please.

Will Kyle's book be moved to the fiction section?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I believe that the outcome would have been much different if Kyle had testified...or the trial had not been in Minnesota with a Minnesota jury (for more than one reason).

As for not writing about something unless you have evidence...c'mon. What was Kyle supposed to do, get notarized affidavits from 3 clergy members before he wrote anything in his book? The witnesses saw Ventura getting up off the ground, threatening Kyle after the fact, and one of them saw someone hit Ventura, but could not identify Kyle. To me, I would be surprised if some, or all, of those 8 jury members leaned towards Ventura because they agreed with what he said that got him hit.

Witnesses rebut Ventura's assertion that fight was a lie | Star Tribune

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Here's a thought. How about not going on national tv or writing books making claims against another individual if you have zero evidence to back it up? I realize this was a civil trial but wasn't the burden on Ventura to prove false claims were made and caused him harm? Are we to believe that any random number of potential jurors would be more biased to believe Ventura the kook over war hero Kyle? Please.

Will Kyle's book be moved to the fiction section?

To address your first point: Kyle said Ventura said those things; Ventura said it never happened. Kyle wasn't around to make his case.

To address your second point: The publishers have said that future editions of the book will not contain the contested material.

Personally, I think Ventura's claim is crap; the jury should have awarded him $1 in damages - and a boot to the head for being an unrepentant *******.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I believe that the outcome would have been much different if Kyle had testified...or the trial had not been in Minnesota with a Minnesota jury (for more than one reason).

As for not writing about something unless you have evidence...c'mon. What was Kyle supposed to do, get notarized affidavits from 3 clergy members before he wrote anything in his book? The witnesses saw Ventura getting up off the ground, threatening Kyle after the fact, and one of them saw someone hit Ventura, but could not identify Kyle. To me, I would be surprised if some, or all, of those 8 jury members leaned towards Ventura because they agreed with what he said that got him hit.

Witnesses rebut Ventura's assertion that fight was a lie | Star Tribune

So I can go pick any random 8 people in Minnesota and the majority or all believe that more SEALs should die? BULL****.

Personally, I think profiting off your veteran status is no less douchy than suing a dead mans widow. I give zero credibility to any veteran who wants me to pay him to tell me what a Billy bad ass war hero he is.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What makes you think juries are picked randomly? I assure you that Ventura's attorneys did everything they could to identify and keep prospective jurors who their research told them would be anti-war and pro former Governor. As for Minneapolis residents....80% anti-war? Not hard to believe.

I don't know what happened in that bar, so true or not, I have no opinion. What i do have an opinion on is the dynamics of how a trial works. I firmly believe a trial is a search for truth, but I know with certainty, from personal experience, that there are numerous factors which conspire to keep it from always finding the truth. That is why a verdict may be how cases are decided, but it doesn't necessarily mean that's what happened....which we will never know.

As for profiting off of veteran status, I have a tendency to agree, but that goes for both sides in this case....and numerous politicians including Dwight Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt, John Kennedy, Richard Nixon, etc.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What makes you think juries are picked randomly? I assure you that Ventura's attorneys did everything they could to identify and keep prospective jurors who their research told them would be anti-war and pro former Governor. As for Minneapolis residents....80% anti-war? Not hard to believe.

I don't know what happened in that bar, so true or not, I have no opinion. What i do have an opinion on is the dynamics of how a trial works. I firmly believe a trial is a search for truth, but I know with certainty, from personal experience, that there are numerous factors which conspire to keep it from always finding the truth. That is why a verdict may be how cases are decided, but it doesn't necessarily mean that's what happened....which we will never know.

As for profiting off of veteran status, I have a tendency to agree, but that goes for both sides in this case....and numerous politicians including Dwight Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt, John Kennedy, Richard Nixon, etc.

Does Voire Dire not exist in civilian trials? If Ventura's lawyers were able to slate the jury that heavily in his favor, Kyle's wife picked a **** poor attorney.

Lets say I start a thread here about an INGO advertiser. I make the claim that while in his shop, the advertiser told me that he's rooting for Al Qaeda to win and does a cartwheel every time an American soldier is killed. After all the subsequent posts stating that they'll never set foot in that advertisers store again and he sues me for damages, do I have any burden to prove he said those things? I made the claim that caused him damage, why should he have to suffer damage if I have zero proof of the claim?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes, there is voir dire, but you don't get to exclude everyone you don't like and even if people answer truthfully: "but do you think you can be fair" seems to cure everything.

Kyle did not have "0" proof. Had be been alive he would have had his own testimony....which is all that Ventura had.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes, there is voir dire, but you don't get to exclude everyone you don't like and even if people answer truthfully: "but do you think you can be fair" seems to cure everything.

Kyle did not have "0" proof. Had be been alive he would have had his own testimony....which is all that Ventrua had.

It amazes me how difficult it is to get the point across that it is remarkably easy to win an argument against someone who is already dead.

Top Bottom