• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It would appear kudos from Ventura's haters.
    You'll stoop to any level to poke the bear.

He didn't win anything but money. The jury was not to determine whether the incident happened or not. Their job was to determine whether or not his reputation had been damaged. I love how he claims this proves he's right. Na, it proved nothing like the such.
    How is the reputation of a man who wasn't named in the book damaged? /rhetorical

Even assuming it was obvious to all the readers that the unnamed individual was indeed Ventura, exactly how was his reputation damaged? Exactly what harm did he suffer? (Did the legal standard not require him to show tangible harm to justify the claim?)

I'm going to chalk it up to one of those differences among the sexes, but getting upset that someone related an anecdotal story in his book that painted you in a bad light hardly makes me want to jump out a start calling attorneys to represent me in civil lawsuits. Particularly if there is no concrete evidence of harm. Yes, even if that story weren't true.

Chris kyle could have left the details of the altercation out of his book and it would have still been an excellent read. The story was included to convey to the reader that he was a bad ass. It added nothing. The story diminished the book a bit as I sat there wondering why a young man at the peak of physical conditioning would beat on an old man?
    Young enough to do the crime, young enough to do the time. Or in this case, accept the beat-down that his tongue earned him. Age doesn't have much to do with it. It's just a tactic to win sympathy for one side. A 20-year-old in a wheelchair is less capable of defending himself than Ventura was.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Appeals court weighs $1.8M award to Jesse Ventura in 'American Sniper' case | Dallas Morning News

SNIPER_AUTHOR-VENTURA_46778067.JPG

An attorney for the estate of slain "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle has asked a federal appeals court to overturn a $1.8 million defamation judgment for Ventura.

...An appeals court indicated Tuesday that it might agree to order a new trial in Jesse Ventura’s defamation lawsuit over the book “American Sniper” because jurors were told the publisher’s insurer would be “on the hook” for the $1.8 million they awarded him.

An attorney for author Chris Kyle’s estate said in oral arguments to a three-judge panel of the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that the comments were so prejudicial that the judges should order a new trial at the least. Lawyer Lee Levine also asked the panel to throw out the entire judgment on First Amendment and other legal grounds...

...Ventura said he stands by his statement that if he loses he’ll probably move to Mexico, where he now spends his winters.

“I don’t think I’d want to live in a country where you can profit from wrongdoing and the courts allow that,” he said.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Appeals court weighs $1.8M award to Jesse Ventura in 'American Sniper' case | Dallas Morning News

SNIPER_AUTHOR-VENTURA_46778067.JPG

An attorney for the estate of slain "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle has asked a federal appeals court to overturn a $1.8 million defamation judgment for Ventura.

...An appeals court indicated Tuesday that it might agree to order a new trial in Jesse Ventura’s defamation lawsuit over the book “American Sniper” because jurors were told the publisher’s insurer would be “on the hook” for the $1.8 million they awarded him.

An attorney for author Chris Kyle’s estate said in oral arguments to a three-judge panel of the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that the comments were so prejudicial that the judges should order a new trial at the least. Lawyer Lee Levine also asked the panel to throw out the entire judgment on First Amendment and other legal grounds...

...Ventura said he stands by his statement that if he loses he’ll probably move to Mexico, where he now spends his winters.

“I don’t think I’d want to live in a country where you can profit from wrongdoing and the courts allow that,” he said.
    It's in the damn rules of evidence that the existence of insurance is generally strictly inadmissible. I wonder WTH happened at this trial.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Honestly I think he's grossly overestimating his value. Who is he that anyone can make a significant "profit" from disparaging him. It seems like that market has too much supply and little demand.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I'm in for $50 to cover his one way plane ticket.

Sorry, its one thing to go after a man who disrespected you. Its entirely another to continue to attack his estate, nee' his widow, for those attacks.

Had his book referenced himself AND his wife disparaging him I could see where assmunch would be justified in pursuing this beyond Kyle's death. But given the facts, I just have to say this [STRIKE]man[/STRIKE] freak of nature went too far.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Man, really sad to see this one work out as it has, at least so far... However, I'd say that it might be a good idea for Ventura to go win or loose at this point!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Can one still have respect for law and not advocate punishment for his best friend, who harmed his worst enemy?

It's a civil action. Ventura initiated this. He's trying to use law to exploit a situation. I doubt Chris Kyle and his estate made any more money off this than if the alleged event with Ventura had never been mentioned.

Whatever happened to the gentleman's way of settling disputes of so-called honor? If Ventura wanted to defend his honor, why not do it the way men have settled such squabbles for millennia? If Chris Kyle damaged Ventura's ego, defend it. The suit was filed before Kyle was killed. So man up and punch Kyle in the face while he's alive.

Instead, Ventura pussied down and continued the suit against a dead man's wife. I think that's cowardice. It has nothing to do with respect for law. And Ventura would probably be a better fit for Mexico anyway.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's a civil action. Ventura initiated this. He's trying to use law to exploit a situation. I doubt Chris Kyle and his estate made any more money off this than if the alleged event with Ventura had never been mentioned.

Whatever happened to the gentleman's way of settling disputes of so-called honor? If Ventura wanted to defend his honor, why not do it the way men have settled such squabbles for millennia? If Chris Kyle damaged Ventura's ego, defend it. The suit was filed before Kyle was killed. So man up and punch Kyle in the face while he's alive.

Instead, Ventura pussied down and continued the suit against a dead man's wife. I think that's cowardice. It has nothing to do with respect for law. And Ventura would probably be a better fit for Mexico anyway.

So.....................yes.......but you gotta rationalize it well?

(sorry, I'm mostly kidding)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If Chris Kyle damaged Ventura's ego, defend it. The suit was filed before Kyle was killed. So man up and punch Kyle in the face while he's alive.

This tread opened when I was relatively new here, and also about the same time that there were other threads filled with people defending George Zimmerman for shooting Trayvon Martin. Both stories involved one guy assaulting another (according to the known info), and I thought it was interesting that we thought one man probably deserved to have been assaulted while we thought it was good that the other man shot the one who assaulted him.

And, if you carry your gun to defend yourself, I'm pretty sure how you feel about your possible participation in a fist fight with another guy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This tread opened when I was relatively new here, and also about the same time that there were other threads filled with people defending George Zimmerman for shooting Trayvon Martin. Both stories involved one guy assaulting another (according to the known info), and I thought it was interesting that we thought one man probably deserved to have been assaulted while we thought it was good that the other man shot the one who assaulted him.

And, if you carry your gun to defend yourself, I'm pretty sure how you feel about your possible participation in a fist fight with another guy.

It's not the same thing though. Zimmerman was at fault in that he should have just stayed in the truck. But he didn't. When Martin attacked him Zimmerman thought his life was in danger. Justified shooting.

Both Ventura and Kyle are (were) some pretty tough guys. Someone uses fighting words and you're all that butt hurt over it, you settle it honorably. That doesn't mean it's a death match. And that doesn't mean Ventura needs to sucker punch Kyle in the same way Martin sucker punched Zimmerman.

And with either situation, if Martin or Ventura were so butt hurt, call the antagonist out. If he doesn't play, call it a win and go home. Sucker-punching and wife suing are for spineless pussies.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's not the same thing though. Zimmerman was at fault in that he should have just stayed in the truck. But he didn't. When Martin attacked him Zimmerman thought his life was in danger. Justified shooting.

Both Ventura and Kyle are (were) some pretty tough guys. Someone uses fighting words and you're all that butt hurt over it, you settle it honorably. That doesn't mean it's a death match. And that doesn't mean Ventura needs to sucker punch Kyle in the same way Martin sucker punched Zimmerman.

And with either situation, if Martin or Ventura were so butt hurt, call the antagonist out. If he doesn't play, call it a win and go home. Sucker-punching and wife suing are for spineless pussies.

What would you call someone who makes up a story that you said "Seals deserved to loose a few......" and includes it in a best-selling book?

Kyle is an American hero, but all I'm asking is: Isn't wrong always wrong?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What would you call someone who makes up a story that you said "Seals deserved to loose a few......" and includes it in a best-selling book?

Well, don't think I'm saying more than I'm saying. I don't believe Kyle's service or status as a war hero automatically makes him right. And I'm not siding with Kyle on that. I'm siding against Ventura for acting like a p****-ass ***** about it.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

I don't know who is right or wrong in this suit. That said, let's assume Kyle was wrong.

Once the guy who wronged you is dead, I generally don't think you go after his widow/kids. If you do, I generally don't have much use for you or your indignant righteousness.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm going to put my money on the fresh out of a war zone, 30 year old seal over the 60 year old, fake wraslin' "kinda" seal, for $20, Alex.
    If both wee at their peaks, sure good fight. But 60s vs 30s? C'mon Jamil, not a fight I'd want to see.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm going to put my money on the fresh out of a war zone, 30 year old seal over the 60 year old, fake wraslin' "kinda" seal, for $20, Alex.
    If both wee at their peaks, sure good fight. But 60s vs 30s? C'mon Jamil, not a fight I'd want to see.

Oh, I'm not taking that bet. Ventura would get his ass kicked. But he should put up or shut up. I seriously doubt that Ventura lost anything from what Kyle said about him. But Ventura has lost a lot more since he sued a dead man's widow. I never gave a **** about Ventura. Never gave him any thought, good or bad. Now my only thoughts about him are negative, that he's acting like a douchebag. I'll bet a lot more people who never gave a **** about him now wouldn't mind throwing all the ****s they have to give directly it at him.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm siding against Ventura for acting like a p****-ass ***** about it.

I thought about this off and on all day at work and I do believe that a man with any honor would have dropped the whole thing after Kyle's death.

I guess I just thought it made for interesting consideration given the court's earlier decision. But even given the fact that I still think wrong is always wrong, this morning I guess I wasn't seeing that dishonor is always dishonor too, and (seriously) you convinced me that what Ventura did was despicable and way worse than anything real or perceived that Kyle did to bring it on.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh, I'm not taking that bet. Ventura would get his ass kicked. But he should put up or shut up. I seriously doubt that Ventura lost anything from what Kyle said about him. But Ventura has lost a lot more since he sued a dead man's widow. I never gave a **** about Ventura. Never gave him any thought, good or bad. Now my only thoughts about him are negative, that he's acting like a douchebag. I'll bet a lot more people who never gave a **** about him now wouldn't mind throwing all the ****s they have to give directly it at him.

I'm torn. Ventura says that his rep in the SEAL community was damaged due to Kyle's comments. So even if false, it irreparably damaged. Ventura says he considered dropping the suit, but that other former SEALs told him to press forward. Keep in mind Ventura originally didn't want money, but a retraction of statement. Kyle refused. His death complicated the issue. Some people take their name seriously, and won't tolerate anyone tarnishing it. If Ventura was going to put Kyle's wife in the poorhouse, I'd be more inclined to agree that he's being a ****, but she's pretty well off even if she loses the suit.
    How well liked was Kyle by other SEALs?

Top Bottom