• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm torn. Ventura says that his rep in the SEAL community was damaged due to Kyle's comments. So even if false, it irreparably damaged. Ventura says he considered dropping the suit, but that other former SEALs told him to press forward. Keep in mind Ventura originally didn't want money, but a retraction of statement. Kyle refused. His death complicated the issue. Some people take their name seriously, and won't tolerate anyone tarnishing it. If Ventura was going to put Kyle's wife in the poorhouse, I'd be more inclined to agree that he's being a ****, but she's pretty well off even if she loses the suit.
    How well liked was Kyle by other SEALs?
    How is Ventura's rep restored by taking money away from Kyle's wife? It doesn't matter how much money she has now. Kyle can't be made to take it back now. And she can't possibly take it back for him. Chris Kyle is dead. Unsatisfying as it is for Ventura, the issue is null.

And I think the seals who think this pursuit is a viable way for Ventura to save face, have honor issues of their own.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm torn. Ventura says that his rep in the SEAL community was damaged due to Kyle's comments. So even if false, it irreparably damaged. Ventura says he considered dropping the suit, but that other former SEALs told him to press forward. Keep in mind Ventura originally didn't want money, but a retraction of statement. Kyle refused. His death complicated the issue. Some people take their name seriously, and won't tolerate anyone tarnishing it. If Ventura was going to put Kyle's wife in the poorhouse, I'd be more inclined to agree that he's being a ****, but she's pretty well off even if she loses the suit.
    How well liked was Kyle by other SEALs?
    I am a pinch skeptical that the seal community supported Ventura pursuing this suit, especially after Kyle's death. IME military guys like to handle their problems in house and this is anything but. I've had the privilege of meeting and shooting with some SEALs and they have all been among the most close to the vest/we handle our own **** type folks I have met. The idea of going after a seal's widow under any circumstances is IMO not something I believe they would countenance.

Ive never broached the subject precisely because of how much they appear to hold an ethos of keeping in house stuff in house and so I figure it is none of my damn business.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    How is Ventura's rep restored by taking money away from Kyle's wife?

Restoring the reputation is impossible, but that isn't the objective of a civil lawsuit.

It's sort of like suing a town when their police kill your grandpa in a botched raid. How does money restore grandpa? It doesn't.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Restoring the reputation is impossible, but that isn't the objective of a civil lawsuit.

It's sort of like suing a town when their police kill your grandpa in a botched raid. How does money restore grandpa? It doesn't.

We're not talking about the purpose of a lawsuit. We're talking about the purpose of THIS lawsuit. Ventura has said what his intents and purposes are. And yeah. He has the right to be a dickhead. It's a choice though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am a pinch skeptical that the seal community supported Ventura pursuing this suit, especially after Kyle's death. IME military guys like to handle their problems in house and this is anything but. I've had the privilege of meeting and shooting with some SEALs and they have all been among the most close to the vest/we handle our own **** type folks I have met. The idea of going after a seal's widow under any circumstances is IMO not something I believe they would countenance.

Ive never broached the subject precisely because of how much they appear to hold an ethos of keeping in house stuff in house and so I figure it is none of my damn business.

I'm a complete outsider to their world, but I have observed that at least within their community, there are factions (just like any other group). They may appear like a monolith to those of us on the outside looking inward, and they may act that way as well. But inside I know of examples where it's very different. I have met some who think Dick Marcinko is a hero and still look to him as an example and I know some who consider him a common criminal worthy only of contempt. I think it's plausible that Ventura has at least a few supporters who graduated from BUD/S. I also think it's plausible that his side of the story (that the incident never happened) is true (which would be sad for a variety of reasons).

I think he's a douche for pursuing this after Chris Kyle was murdered. Before he was murdered, though, it's a different story. If it was an outright lie that it happened, then I think Ventura is justified in seeking a remedy through the courts. If it did happen and he was just embarrassed that the story was told, then settling it on a more personal level would have been more appropriate.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm not saying JJ has no supporters among SEALs. I am skeptical that they wanted him to go after the widow/kids.

Isn't it slightly dishonest to say he's going after the wife/kids? If someone sues my dad and he dies you're sueing my dad's estate which I'm now entitled to, you aren't directly going after me. I agree I'd drop the suit after he died, I think general public opinion is on Ventura s side, that Kyle had a tendency to embellish and apparently outright lie.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not saying JJ has no supporters among SEALs. I am skeptical that they wanted him to go after the widow/kids.

:+1:

Isn't it slightly dishonest to say he's going after the wife/kids? If someone sues my dad and he dies you're sueing my dad's estate which I'm now entitled to, you aren't directly going after me. I agree I'd drop the suit after he died, I think general public opinion is on Ventura s side, that Kyle had a tendency to embellish and apparently outright lie.

Given that the grievance appears to be bruised ego and not any tangible damage, Ventura could have done himself a huge favor by standing by his assertion that Kyle told a fairy story, declaring that he does not wish to make life more difficult for Kyle's grieving family, and could have reaped far more image than the disputed tale of getting his ass kicked may have cost him. I don't understand why he didn't see that.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Without commenting on Kyles "tendency to embellish" I tend to think the same way about the lawsuit. If Mr. Ventura was harmed, as I saw in an interview he claimed he was due to a lack of work from the damage from the book, then his lawsuit has merit.

Would people feel better if Kyle had lived and Mr. Ventura put him AND his family in the poorhouse? Kyle's being alive or dead doesn't exempt his family from suffering the consequences of his alleged slander/liable.

When I was involved in an auto accident the lawsuit drug out. In the meantime the woman who hit me had died! (Not from the accident) We didn't know this until paperwork needed to be filed and her death was discovered. So my attorney instructed me that I had to become the executor of her estate to sue her estate and thus claim money against her insurance company that covered her while she was alive. To be honest I was very uncomfortable being named the executor of a dead woman that I didn't know in order to sue the dead woman's estate. However, that is what my attorney said I needed to do to proceed against the insurance company so that is what I did. Was I a scumbag?

Regards,

Doug

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    This is the coolest thing EVER!!!

Its amazing!!!

It's inovative!!!!
    They decided that they would get a group of folk together to hear all about what happened. They hired folk trained to be a-holes to question every word that came out of anyone's mouth.

They heard every word that anyone who had any interest in the conversation had to say. (There were very few INGO members there)

They removed all external influence.

Then, once they determined the fact set (without anyone trolling "traitor" or "communist" or "1st amendment") they put a dollar amount on the quantifiable damages.

I wasn't there. I have no idea what the evidence was. But I know that it was a trial that was conducted within the framework of the United States constitution and the state and local laws.

The dollar amount was substantive. And the defendant was a far more sympathetic party than the plaintif.

So **** and moan. If they awarded cash to Governor Ventura, he gets cash. That's the way we do it here in the USA.

If you disagree, then either you made a wrong decision based on incomplete data- or you are correct and have special insight.

If you think it's worth appealing, call her lawyer and offer to foot the bill for the next round.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009

Its amazing!!!

It's inovative!!!!
    They decided that they would get a group of folk together to hear all about what happened. They hired folk trained to be a-holes to question every word that came out of anyone's mouth.

They heard every word that anyone who had any interest in the conversation had to say. (There were very few INGO members there)

Then, once they determined the fact set (without anyone trolling "traitor" or "communist" or "1st amendment") they put a dollar amount on the quantifiable damages.

I wasn't there. I have no idea what the evidence was. But I know that it was a trial that was conducted within the framework of the United States constitution and the state and local laws.

The dollar amount was substantive. And the defendant was a far more sympathetic party than the plaintif.

So **** and moan. If they awarded cash to Governor Ventura, he gets cash. That's the way we do it here in the USA.

If you disagree, then either you made a wrong decision based on incomplete data- or you are correct and have special insight.

If you think it's worth appealing, call her lawyer and offer to foot the bill for the next round.
    You do know that an appeal is pending, in part based off the trial allegedly not being conducted according to the standards you refer to as well as constitutional grounds? Right?

FWIW I haven't really heard anyone here take a legal opinion on this, generally the criticism has been of personal decisions made by JJ. Just cause you win in court doesn't somehow make you a saint.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009

Not when he successfully moved to have the wife added as a party after her husband's death.

Jesse Ventura lawsuit vs. murdered Navy SEAL can move forward, judge says | Fox News

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Was I a scumbag?

Regards,

Doug

We could start from the point that the woman damaged your vehicle and perhaps your person--in other words, real and tangible damages. Perhaps one might take a different view had you done these things in response to the woman saying that you are a sissy and your mother wears combat boots.

Its amazing!!!

It's inovative!!!!

As previously mentioned, it seems that the case was NOT heard in accord with your highly-touted legal standards, hence grounds for appeal. You may also wish to back up and notice a critical distinction: The consensus is not about the rightness of recovering actual damages even in the event of the death of the defendant, but rather a consensus that proceeding with a lawsuit including modifying it to name the late defendant's wife as a party after his death in a case where the only damage was to ego is a dickheaded thing to do regardless of whether it is legal or not. Your lack of attention to detail is disturbing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hard to compare SEALs supporting Jessie and SEALs supporting Chris.
    They are from different generations. Each generation may be more likely to support "his own" generation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    :+1:

Given that the grievance appears to be bruised ego and not any tangible damage, Ventura could have done himself a huge favor by standing by his assertion that Kyle told a fairy story, declaring that he does not wish to make life more difficult for Kyle's grieving family, and could have reaped far more image than the disputed tale of getting his ass kicked may have cost him. I don't understand why he didn't see that.

Agreed!

I think either he got so invested emotionally in this that he either couldn't back down, or he just couldn't see the big picture in any rational frame of reference.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Agreed!

I think either he got so invested emotionally in this that he either couldn't back down, or he just couldn't see the big picture in any rational frame of reference.

There is still a small window of opportunity for him to find a smart PR person to save him. If he can find it in himself to man up and back out of this suit BS, he still has a fairly tiny following of libraltarians. If he can find a way to make himself look like the forward thinker he once was, maybe he can bring some relativity back to JV?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There is still a small window of opportunity for him to find a smart PR person to save him. If he can find it in himself to man up and back out of this suit BS, he still has a fairly tiny following of libraltarians. If he can find a way to make himself look like the forward thinker he once was, maybe he can bring some relativity back to JV?

He can. He could very easily declare that he is not happy with the unintended consequences of his (perceived) righteous indignation and allowed it to be directed at people who did not deserve it. The question is whether or not he will.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You make a good point. It would also require curbing his tendency to be a wackadoodle about some of the more ridiculous conspiracy theories that he seems to believe, though.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    He can. He could very easily declare that he is not happy with the unintended consequences of his (perceived) righteous indignation and allowed it to be directed at people who did not deserve it. The question is whether or not he will.
    Since he just said he would leave the county in protest if he loses the appeal, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Top Bottom