Jan '12 1500: Indy 1500 good riddance or can't wait til next show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Went to the shop today to check on some things. Turns out they were busy as all get out. I helped a few people as much as I could and got to hear the horror stories from people who attended. Several people came in with broken guns they bought. Now they know why it's 50 bucks under retail. Guns were flying out the door while I was there.

Neal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    North central Indiana
    Over the last several years I have attended the 1500 dozens of times, and even bought some guns at reasonable prices. Also have bought gun parts, tools, ammo, holsters, lights, cleaning products, Zicks sausage products and countless other items. But, after going 2 or 3 times last year and not being able to find anything on my want list, and dealing with the narrow isles and overcrowding, it was disappointing. Add the exorbitant $3.00 to park and $10.00 ($9.00 with coupon)more to get in, and it no longer seems like a good thing. I think I'm done with the 1500. :noway:

thindman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Indy
    Yes to all of the above. I've gone the last couple years and there are just so many people you can't move. I'm sure it's good for business for the vendors but I can tell you that I didn't spend as much as I would have because I didn't want to fight the people to get back to the booths with the good deals. It's a bit of a bummer. I'm not sure if I'll go back...sometimes a deal isn't worth that much of a hassle!

Dozer5478

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Very crowded this time, people line down the street. I will be back in march. I can say that I did not witness any fights, there were no Air Jordan's to be bought up, and the show didn't make the evening news this year. I call that a success. The only place you can pile all culture of people and they all get along.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    The crowds are always big and yes, I'd love to see wider aisles. But those who claim to find no deals weren't looking very hard. Found a couple of stainless Security Sixes for great prices that I'm kicking myself for not buying. (ahem, if ya got one to sell hit me up!)

I'll go back again. My biggest problem was picking up the thing I went for, putting it down and thinking I'll check the rest of the tables to find it cheaper, and then saying 'screw it' when I got to the end cause I didn't want to walk through "the gauntlet" to get back to the item I should have just bought when I saw it earlier.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    "I'll be bock". :rolleyes:
    I try to go a couple times a year. I see old friends, socialize, take buddies who are less familiar with guns so they can feel different ones, buy some trinket's and ammo on occasion, see some new stuff- and even old stuff- up close and personal, etc. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ONLY go on Friday!!!!! Any other day is a huge PITA!!!!!! Fortunately, I am my own boss so I can do that. I actually do feel sorry for those who may be relegated to only being able to go on Sat. or Sun. Bummer, butat least they get to go.
    Yeah, it costs a couple bucks (I live an hour away) but I have to believe, with as many booths and people that are there, it HAS to be promoting our beloved sport. Really. Think about it. I think it's an important feature to stay in contact and keep the comaradery going at the very least. :patriot: Even if you don't like it or won't go for whatever reason, I still think the end result is a good thing for us all.
    :yesway:

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I have gone to the Indy 1500 twice. No point in going again. Crowds are ridiculous. Impossible to move about, see the wares on the tables, or talk to a vendor. When I am looking for a new piece, I like to talk to the vendor to get as much information from the vendor as I can before I make a decision. Simply cannot do that given the conditions inside.

Parking fee plus admission is exorbitant. Paying that much after driving two hours from the Fort is very expensive. Maybe I should recruit a couple others to travel with me to share the transpiration costs. It would be a good way to meet some INGOers, but it would take some planning to pull it off. Without a crew sharing the costs it really is an expensive trip.

Beyond that, there are some good shops here

No, I see no reason to drive to Indy.

Ditto! except I am 2hrs South of Indy.

When you pay for gas for a 200 mile round trip and $5 for a Mickey D's value meal plus $14 to get in, it kinda throws what good deals if any there is, out the window...

Now that I have frequented local gun shops and they know my face, they will offer to order me what I am looking for, and I usually get a call saying they have it within 2 business days.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I always go with my sons and will most likely continue to do so. Some of the shows are better than others, but I cannot recall any that I had a real bad time at. We were there at the height of the rush on Saturday and still managed to find a way to have fun. I brought my M44 to sell and it was gone within 10 minutes of getting in the door. The first vendor that wanted to look at it kept going on about he can buy them all day long for $100. He said it was not worth more that that, yet somehow it was sold less than 5 minutes later. Fun stuff.

I really don't know how some of the vendors make money there, but I guess they do. There's one guy in the back that has a small table with the same couple of guns on it. I've looked at his 10mm Witness at every one of the last 3 shows and I know it will be there at the next one too.

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Will definately be going back. Yes the crowd is ridiculous, yes the prices are crazy for the most part, but as long as I do my homework before hand I always walk away with a few good deals. Plus where else can you go and handle pretty much every gun from every manufacture, accessories, gear, ammo, reloading components, ets.... The last couple years I have decided to go I already had it set in my head that it was going to be overcrowded and that I would be able to find better deals on most stuff over the internet, and that if I truly wanted to see everything I would have to get there early and I would probably not get out until close to the end of the show. Yes, I had to wait at multiple tables for 5 mins because it was so packed no body could move, but I was at a GUN SHOW. No complaints here.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I started attending in 1992 when we were stationed at Ft. Ben, I had an FFL (92-95) and could not wait for the show, made money by sharing a table with others, only $35 a table back in those days. To me it was more fun twenty years ago, but now twenty years later, I have most of what I need, and or I can find it on line. I was going to go, but the parking increase of $2 to $5, and admission made it no longer worth it when all I wanted to get was an AK-74 cleaning kit and nylon single mag pouch for my G-27. Those parts can be found there for around $5 for the AK-74 clean kit, and $3 for the knife type mag pouch. So Goodbye show..............been fun, just ain't worth it anymore for me.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Love the show. Go for the chance to pick up items of interest and the off chance of finding a bargain. Found a smokin deal on an item I have been circling the wagons around for a while and will look to do the same in the future. Plus where else besides the state fair do you get to see such a cross section of humanity?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We swore to never go back a year ago. So far so good. We are VERY busy in the shop on gun show days. People go to the show, then they come and see us to purchase. It's been a great business decision thus far.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the thing that keeps me going back is the thought that there IS a deal in there somewhere. Occasionally, I find it and have the cash to jump on it. The deal may be on a beat up stock for an SKS that I want to redo or a Finnish Mosin that's selling for $150. Even if I did not find a good deal, it was worth the trip to try. It's a bit like hunting to me. Also, I go for the malted milk balls.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    When I go, my wife continues on to spend the day with some of her girl friends. Saves $5 in parking right there.
    So for $10, I get a full day of entertainment. I went in on Saturday at 10:00 and left after 5:00, and I had a lunch packed in my backpack. Cheaper than going to a movie, and a heck of a lot more fun.

Not to mention that I just filled my backpack with "junk" from my reloading room before I went. Stuff that I don't use anymore. What was junk to me paid for my entry, bought me 500 cast bullets, and let me walk out with $10 more than I arrived with.
    And now my reloading bench is cleaner! I'll definitely call that a worthwhile day. :)

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I didn't go to this 1500, the last one I went to was just a flea market, and too many people that needed some soap and deodorant. I will be going to the show at Stout Field in February. Smaller, but people are much more polite, and the vendors seem like they want to be there.

CJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Indy
    Yeah it cost $5 for parking, $10 to get in, a half hour line (?), and of course it was bumper to bumper once you got in (on Saturday afternoon) but where else are you gonna go to see that many guns, knifes, ammo, etc. in one place?

As for deals I spotted a couple, but all in all nothing that your local gun shop couldn't cover. Yes, I'll go again.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I'll continue to go back, but couldn't they figure out a better way to get people in the door quicker? Advance ticket sales maybe? Separate lines for people with or without firearms to check? It was pretty cold standing out there on Friday afternoon with the line wrapping around the building.

$5 for parking?? It was $3 at the last show. I realize the 1500 Show has no influence on what the Fair Grounds charge, but I look out over the parking lot and think about the revenue being generated from each car/truck.

For me, the 1500 Show is sensory overload, which is why it's fun to go. There is way too much stuff to look at, but I'm always optimistic that there is something I gotta have at a price that no one else in the world will have for sale. Then the search is on.

Admittedly, the smell can be pretty bad depending what kind of creatures are standing in the area, but what is the funny smell throughout the building??

The noise wasn't too bad when I was there this time, but I've been at the 1500 when it was deafening. Fortunately I did not hear any NDs like the one at the last show.

I love going around handling the guns. Where else can you just go up to a table and pick up almost any gun to compare and contrast how it feels in your hand. I use the 1500 Show to eliminate guns that are on my future buy list, but don't pass the "feel good" test in your hands.

And it wouldn't be a good 1500 Show without buying chocolates from Jeff Johnson's booth. That's some pretty good stuff.

Top Bottom