Jan '12 1500: Indy 1500 good riddance or can't wait til next show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    OK experience....

Here's my :twocents:. I ,despite the crowds, the drive, and the fees enjoyed the experience. I haven't been to a show in years. The last one was about 10 years ago at the Seymour Gaurd Armory. It was a whole different animal, no crowd, no line jumping, but not as good of selection of merchandise. The prices were marginal, if you didn't know prices beforehand you have a chance to get burned. One last gripe, crowds, the last time I was in a crowd like that was on Bourbon St but they served drinks there.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I just got back from the state fairgrounds. There is a MASSIVE room just behind the restrooms in the back/middle . Change scares people and cost money so it won't happen soon, expanding and widening the isles is a thing to consider show people . (think of safety) somebody gonna' freak out some day. :wallbash: P.S. this is the only thing I remember about that boring home show:)

Last edited:

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Maybe somebody should direct this thread to World Class Gun Shows. More space means more chances to see stuff and buy stuff. Not that they care about actual sales, they are just interested in booth rental and entry fees. I bet the vendors care about sales though as I am sure costs have went up for them too.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Went on Sunday, WAY to crowded for me. There were several things i wanted to look for but didn't feel like fighting my way through the wall of people to look at things. I will have to think twice about going again unless they move it to a larger venue.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    First time going to it this last time it was around.. Honestly I wasn't too impressed. The only reasons I went was to pick up some sweet INGO swag. Other than that, the mass crowds were very annoying. Not quite as annoying as the pain shooting up my back later in the afternoon from walking on concrete all day though.

I'll stick to the local stores and gun shows here in Kokomo when they are around. Not worth the 45 minute drive IMO.

cswan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Howard County
    I also feel that there needs to be more room. I was constantly trying to wedge in and around people just to look at a handgun. Lotsa people in the way with no intentions on buying. In my opinion.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The problem is the vendors moving the tables out so they have more room inside, the bigger problem is when you have vendors on both sides of the aisle doing it and it creates a 2 person walkway and shuts down the aisle.

I finally got feed up yesterday and went to the show office and told them that next show I come to and they don't have it fixed, I'm making a call to the fire marshall. I'd hate to have to make that call, but there needs to be some common sense, and giving me the response of "We'll have security check that out" po'd me off.

All the dealers do it and it takes about two feet off the aisle width.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Never been never plan to! Waste of gas and time for little savings compared to local shops here.

You dont know what your missing! You've never been there! Local shops are great too, but you just cant get the zoo feeling till you've been there. All the little stuff that is amzing. Fresh candy, stale people, Local shops cant have this much STUFF.

Trust me take a friend and watch what they do/see.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It's nothing like it was in the '90's though. I miss the pit and Claflin's mounds of cheap S&B ammo by the back wall.

I Love Bourbon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Speedway ish
    All the dealers do it and it takes about two feet off the aisle width.

No, they don't.
    But thank you for casting the blame on all of us who do pay to set up there. It's great to have the privilege of paying 100.00 for an 8' table, then having people park themselves in front of it and try to sell their own items, or having one of the many "experts" (and I can't use that term loosely enough) decide to tell you everything he knows about every item on your table and that he had one just like it but sold it way cheaper 27 years ago or how about you guys who are carrying around long guns or bags full of stuff and without asking just lay it down on my table on top of by merch. so you can try to do a deal with another guy in the aisle while you're blocking my table! :dunno:

Or how about taking a small down payment to hold an item because "the buyer" said he really really wants it but didn't bring enough money with him and if you'll take 20.00 and hold this 400.00 rifle he'll be back in the morning (Saturday), but he really shows up late the next day demanding his 20.00 back after you could have sold it to someone else and them he wants to get the PD involved because you tell him to get bent on getting his 20.00 back. And sometimes, just sometimes I can't give you my undivided attention because there's always people trying to distract me so their buddy can steal crap off of my table. Try being a small vendor and losing something that is going to eat up all the profit that you make for the whole weekend because some P.O.S. stole it!
    This doesn't even take into account spending 34 hours over the course of 3 days at the show for setting up and tearing down.

WoW.....
    I know not all of you do these things but I'll guarantee that many of you can see yourselves in a number of the scenarios I mentioned. So before you get pissy with us or blame the crowded aisles on us, you might want to spend a little time on the other side of the tables, I'm betting it would be an eye opener for a bunch of you. Before you start your flames I'm not for one minute saying all the exhibitors are blameless, but so many of these threads are so down on the exhibitors that I wonder why many of you guys even bother to attend the show. If you really hate it that much stay home, some of you guys admitted in this thread that you haven't attended a show in years but you're still complaining about them! How the hell does that work???? :laugh:
    Have at it... :horse:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

If you really hate it that much stay home....
    You said it, if it's so bad, so horrible and unprofitable for you. Stay home. The last thing anyone needs after paying $10 to get in and $4 for a soda is another disgruntled vendor who acts as if he's doing you a favor by being there.

I Love Bourbon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Speedway ish
    Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

You said it, if it's so bad, so horrible and unprofitable for you. Stay home. The last thing anyone needs after paying $10 to get in and $4 for a soda is another disgruntled vendor who acts as if he's doing you a favor by being there.

Again the problem always seems to lie with the vendor, why is that?

I didn't say it was horrible for me, but I'm pointing out the view from other side of the tables which you seem to be oblivous to. You also seem to have the thought that the customer is always right no matter what, sorry but it isn't always so. Courtesy works on both sides of the aisle, give it a try it might work out for you.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I personally attended this recent gunshow. I did find what I was looking for, and could care less about their requirment to empty, check, secure, etc. my carry weapon.

What did bother me with this show was the amount of people in that area. For lack of better terms it was butthole to belly button from 9:00 am until about 5:00 pm. I am sure there are several things that I missed, along with several things I "might" have been interested in purchasing but could not get the dealer/seller to give me the time of day. Not to mention the lines just to pay for something.

As for returning, I plan to. I meet alot of old friends there and meet some new ones as well. If nothing else, people watching can also be entertaining.

As for serious gun purchases I will try and stay with face-to-face private sales. Less hassle and generally more room for good ole fashioned horse tradin'

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Again the problem always seems to lie with the vendor, why is that?

I didn't say it was horrible for me, but I'm pointing out the view from other side of the tables which you seem to be oblivous to. You also seem to have the thought that the customer is always right no matter what, sorry but it isn't always so. Courtesy works on both sides of the aisle, give it a try it might work out for you.

I've worked the other side with my own table and for others. There are plenty of butt-headed customers but there is a glaring number of butt-headed vendors who are rude, contemptuous, ignorant, arrogant and obnoxious. It doesn't hurt to treat customers with a little respect when you are trying to get them to purchase something. If you can't stand it, get out. The problem lie with the vendor because YOU, the vendor, are asking people to come there and spend their money. It's not like those people showed up out of nowhere to bother you.

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I think both vendor and customer are being hurt by show organizer. The current set up is unsafe, unfriendly, and not conducive to doing business. That is what I feel is the biggest problem with the 1500. World Class Gun Shows simply do not care if you buy or sell, they are making theirs regardless, and boy did they make theirs.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wow! It was the most crowded I've seen it since Clinton was in office but I had fun introducing my g/f to firearms and she had a good time too. I found a good iwb holster for my PF-9, bought some "zombie" ammo and even found a good deal on a small 511 backpack. We would've stayed longer but her back was bothering her and yes I'll be back.
    I've never had a rude vendor there but maybe it's just me? What was funny this time when I was looking for the holster was the owner's wife who was quick to dismiss me as not being serious about making a purchase when just a few minutes, and feet later I found the exact holster I thought I wanted and her Hubby "upsold" me into an even nicer holster!

Top Bottom