Jan '12 1500: Indy 1500 good riddance or can't wait til next show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll continue to go every chance I get. I'm fortunate in that I can usually arrange to have the first day of the show off work. I do like to get in and get out before it gets too packed.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Tried Saturday morning, but the line was too long. Sunday was better early. However, the number of rude and oblivious people seems to keep increasing. If you want to have a reunion with a long lost neighbor, uncle, cousin, ex-spouse, buddy, or total stranger - get the H*** out of the aisle. 1500 still has items can't find easily other places. Better deals can be found at other shows, especially the small ones.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    Yeah, local gun shops are , well, local,efficient, cost effective, convenient, better value on the gas tank, parking, time,temperature , space, ect....... but I don't get as strong of ''heart rush'' as when entering the shows . I won't stand on my feet for nine hours at wal-mart... I'm in pain when I get home , ready for the next trip out.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sour grapes, my friend, sour grapes. You'll always have that griping. I mean you don't go to the gun show looking for everything to be perfect. There must be a reason they don't have an unloading area and it's probably due to some fear of liability if something goes wrong.

I could be wrong, but when I left Sunday, I saw the sign that said "unload here". And there was a barrel there, just don't know if it was a trash can or a sand barrel .

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    Unloading your guns: Did you see how they handle their weapons in there? Complete disregard of the Four Rules

I have mixed feelings about the no loaded gun policy. On the one hand, there are a bunch of people crowded into a confined space. I saw a guy pick up an O/U and swing it down, around, and up like he was tracking a duck! Glad that one wasn't loaded!

However, how many loaded weapons do you think came in through the doors? I'm betting more than one or two. And, those little plastic bands "locking down" the guns are basically foolproof! So you have guns with little plastic ties next to all kinds of ammo. If someone wanted to do something crazy...

Like I said, I have mixed feelings...I don't want to be shot by an ignorant gun handler yet I'd like to be able to stop a threat if one appears in my vicinity (even at a gun show).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If someone wanted to do something crazy...

People do crazy stuff with guns at even gun show. Checking them ensures a reduction in the causalty rate.

Lots of people get shot at gun shows, but until we educate our community checking them in is a great idea.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    In the 20 years I've been a gun nut, I've only been 3 times. Once as a Vendor and 2 as a customer. Each time leaves me less and less impressed. Back in the 90's it wasn't too bad but the ratio of mouth breathing booger eating hillbillies and idiot hood rats to normal people seems to be pretty far out of whack. I guess I'll go back when I've lost the memories of how bad it was. Especially as a vendor, that was painful.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I saw a guy pick up an O/U and swing it down, around, and up like he was tracking a duck! Glad that one wasn't loaded!

What you describe here illustrates precisely the sort of blatant disregard of the fundamental tenets of firearms safety Kirk has been talking about.

Rule 1: All guns are always loaded.

Rule 2: Never let the muzzle cover anything that you're not willing to destroy.

Also a major reason why I agree with him about the need to keep checking and "banding" all firearms entering the premises. IMHO, it's nearly always a case of some bozo deliberately circumventing these simple precautions that results in Bad Things happening.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    :rolleyes:

The following statements are referring to the last 3 or 4 shows that I have done and cover 3 different promoters.

1. Record attendance at the shows.

2. Waiting list for vendors to get into the show.

3. Just about every vendor that I have talked to are indicating that sales are very good and some vendors during this past Indy 1500 were telling me that they were having record sales, including Knife lady and I.

Gun shows dying? Gun shows are a relic and a thing of the past? You obviously have no clue as to what your talking about. :twocents:

It's obvious that one of us doesn't. We're glad that you enjoy your experience at the show.

First of all, I apologize to for my statement about not having a clue.

My point is you are stating that gun shows are a relic and a thing of the past and are basically dying without backing that statement with any facts.

I'm in the the gun & knife show trenches over 40 weekends a year and have a pretty good feel about what is going on. I talk to promoters and vendors at every show and I don't believe that the days are number for gun shows. As long as the promoters and vendors are making money they will continue on.

Now, if you don't like gun shows because of whatever reason (crowds, entry fees, parking fees, pricing...etc.) that is fine and you are entitled to your opinion and you can always choose not to attend, but I don't see gun & knife shows going away any time soon. :twocents:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll definitely be back to the next one and many more hopefully. I always enjoy going and have'nt missed many in the last few years. I enjoy handling some of the stuff you just don't see amny places and price shopping.

Saturday was the most crowded I've seen but I dealt with it.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    soo many people this time. Saturday was a pain. I did great unloading my wears. I do get aggravated at "private collection" dealers. They see me with 3-12 guns and ask if I am selling. I stop and tell them I am. They ask how much, I retort with a fair price. They get agitated as my price is the price they want to sell it for. Then they tell me "I didn't leave them any room to make money". I truthfullt don't care about them making money. I understand the desire, but If I was willing to part with my guns for less than market price, or less than I paid I would have used them as trade fodder. I would have asked them if they wanted to by my stuff. It really gets me when they stop me, ask for my time, then get upset when I don't want give them away.

I understand people want to make money. But to get upset with me for wanting a fair price for my guns really gets to me.

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but do you think the recent boom of gun related reality TV shows has in turn lead to a boom at gun shows? I know the local media did a report on guns being a very popular Christmas gift (I must have been on the naughty list because there wasn't anything that goes bang under my tree).

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    I will be definitely be going back. I always go and usually buy something. I've bought 6 pistols and 1 carbine there and never had a problem. Always good pricing too considering they have to be competitive there.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had a good time at this show and I did find lots of stuff that I needed at a fair price. The crowd was crazy this time and it did make it difficult to stop for very long, maybe they need to expand?

Top Bottom