Jan '12 1500: Indy 1500 good riddance or can't wait til next show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I brought my wife to her first 1500 today.

She had promised not to complain about the crowded atmosphere, or anything else, so we stopped there for a few hours and bought a few hundred bucks in stuff I didn't know I needed.

Didn't buy any firearms this time. Just parts, grips, a little ammo, a holster, and I got to buy a couple of things for me too. ;)

She enjoyed it and had lots of question I couldn't begin to answer. I doubt we'll go to each and everyone that come through. But if we have the time, we'll probably go to another show.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I stay away from these concentrated areas of cool toys then I am content that all I have is all I need.
    I have found the smaller shows are more comfortable and it is easier to strike up a conversation with the vendors and dealers. They are not as worn down by idiots with idiot questions and no desire to buy. You can usually haggle with them and do some trading. I have not found this to be true at the 1500. Way too many folks in way to cramped conditions. I drove by there on my way to pick up a new (to me) Remington 1100 in sweet condition for an absolutely right price. The line was out the gate and we just laughed and drove on.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have often left the 1500 thinking, "ARGH! What a waste of time and money, I will never go back!" but this time around I had my best show yet. Bought the weekend pass and spent around seven hours there over two days. Ended up getting everything I needed - and a couple of things that simply caught my eye - at prices that matched the online vendors I had scoped out before the show, with the 3-day pass and parking equaling the shipping costs, to boot.

I will still hit the LGS or online shops when I need/want something, but the freak show that is the 1500 is too good to miss, at least a couple of times a year.

Now if I could just win that dang Marine Corps raffle one of these days! :D

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    I can normally deal with the crowds but this time seemed particularly ridiculous. I'm wonder if they could possibly move the first show of the year to a bigger venue. I don't mind waiting my turn to get to a table to look at a particular item but damn u could barely move. Then towards then end my girlfriend damn near had a panic attack the crowds were so bad. We got there at about 10 and the line was clear around the building to get in and when we left at 3:30 it was the same

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    Although I did get to meet Que from the board so that was a cool part. Very nice man. Picked up a INGO shirt cause none of the hats would fit my big melon:D

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Even with the crowds I'd still go again. I made a game out of getting through the crowds, it was better than getting stressed over it. I smiled & made faces at people coming the other direction. I weaved in & out of the lines & it was funny sometimes when I just popped up & tall guys would look down and smile at me because they didn't realize I was there.

There were a few booths I couldn't get as close as I might have liked but for the most part if I wanted to touch something I made it a point to get to that table. I like getting a chance to handle a lot of different handguns & rifles. I was looking at a nice Chinese SKS & before I knew it the nice gentleman running the table was letting me handle an AR and telling me all about it. You don't get that kind of interaction with people online.

Gun shows can be crowded & hectic but I think they are a lot of fun too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I found the gun I was looking for. The dealer gave me a good "out the door," (his words) price.

I said, "I'll take it."
    He said "one little hitch, you are from IN right? I can't sell it to you. I'm out of KY, I'll have to take it back there to send to your transfer FFL here.":rolleyes:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Gun shows in general have mostly died. The Internet is a better, faster, easier method of both buying and selling and you can do so for better prices than found at the dying gun shows. Back in the day, gun shows were just that....gun shows. Today? 98% of the exhibitors are selling trinkets. The few gun dealers there are asking insane prices to cover an ever-increasingly high cost to exhibit. More and more, people are figuring out that they can get the same thing for a lot less money off the Internet.

The Indy 1500, like any other gun show, is a relic of the past. If you like going to them for the nostalgia, then enjoy them while you can. Their days are numbered.

:rolleyes:

The following statements are referring to the last 3 or 4 shows that I have done and cover 3 different promoters.

1. Record attendance at the shows.

2. Waiting list for vendors to get into the show.

3. Just about every vendor that I have talked to are indicating that sales are very good and some vendors during this past Indy 1500 were telling me that they were having record sales, including Knife lady and I.

Gun shows dying? Gun shows are a relic and a thing of the past? You obviously have no clue as to what your talking about. :twocents:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    It's a nice little outing for me, and good entertainment. I have a thing or two in mind, and if I don't see it, no big deal. Picked up a few small items I had wanted.

Now, the crowds can get so bad that it's no fun, even for a casual trip. I went Sunday at 2:00, did all I wanted to do by 3:45. I guess if I applied the $15 against what I would pay in shipping, etc., I came out fine, but that's not why I go.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I didnt get a chance to go to this recent one but hopefully plan on making the next one. Even if I don't buy anything I usually learn something each time and enjoy the atmosphere.

Netranger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Lawrenceburg / SE Indiana
    First 1500...so plz keep that in mind while I offer up my own humble opinion.

My son and I traveled approx 90 minutes from SE Indiana, arrived between 8 - 8:30am, paid our $5 to park, walked a bit from our parking spot, stood in line for about 5 minutes, paid another $10 each for admission, and started checking things out.

At 8:30, there were NO crowds and we were able to get around very easily and get to the vendors we definitely wanted to see first. We met a couple of folks at the INGO table and picked up a couple of stickers and patches. We both placed orders for custom holsters with Raven Concealment, before anyone else did, so we could pick them up before lunch.

The crowds started showing up around 10am and got progressively more, and more packed until we left at 1:30p. It was definitely some "work" to move around and see what you wanted but, with a little patience, we were able to see everything without much hassle. When we walked out the door, the line was around the corner of the building.

We ended up with all the items we had on our list to purchase and felt that the prices were all very fair. I did miss out on an awesome deal on a PK380 because I hesitated...by the time I got back to the table to buy the gun (15 minutes later) it was gone. Just another lesson on "if you snooze, you lose". Picked up a Bodyguard 30 minutes later, again for a fair price.

So, after everything is said and done, my son and I had a great time. Probably mostly because we were able to spend a father/son day together with a shared interest but also because there are still great venues like this where other gun nutz get to gather in mass. I would have liked more room to move around in the aisles due to the crowds and the space constraints but the other side of that coin is that it was awesome to see so many people out supporting shooting sports and their 2nd Amendment rights. We are planning on coming back for sure...maybe even to the March show which may be less crowded. Next year we may head up for the first day on Friday...maybe.

Thank you INGO for posting information that aided us in planning our trip up there on Saturday and for everyone who chimed in with suggestions and opinions. It all helped.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    This was my first 1500 and we got a late start to the day. Got there at the peak, it sounds like. 30 min wait to get in, but the wife dropped me and my boy off while she and the girl went mall-shopping.

Too crowded to enjoy it, but I DID manage to sell my rifle to another guest (not dealer) and got pretty much what I wanted for it and the ammo. I was then able to buy the carry pistol I wanted with only the sales tax out of pocket.

I'd never have gotten that deal from a dealer, and wouldn't expect it, honestly.

So, if I hadn't gone, I'd still be sitting on an admittedly very nice rifle, but with no pistol yet.

Worth it for me, since beyond what I bought, I was really only out about $25 (tax and admission), so I can't complain too much. Would just like to get there much earlier in the day to avoid the massive crowd.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gun shows need to remain in existence for no other reason than to keep our gun hating, freedom-taking, liberal friends tilting at windmills. Otherwise if the shows went away, they would find other causes to focus their misguided notions against. Keeping gun shows alive is enough reason for any freedom-loving supporter of the second amendment to continue attending as many shows as each individual is capable. Thumb your nose at the liberals, attend a gun show.

Last edited:

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    This was my first and most likely my last. I do not mind crowds as long as I can walk and could not walk. Had a guy try to grab a stripped lower right out of my hand and almost knock my wife down in the process. Neither of which went over well. Did get some factory 40S&W for cheaper than I can reload it for. Managed to find a couple 15 round mags for the sr40c for $10 each.
    All in all it was not a bad time I just don't have enough patience to deal with that many idiots at once. Unless they move it to a larger venue for future dates I have no intention to go back.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'll be there at the Busse table again. If we don't sell anything we still get to watch the parade!! People-of -Walmart has got nuthin on some of what I see at the show sometimes:popcorn:

Bob

BTW- Sunday was the best day as crowds were down but there was still a lot of product.

Top Bottom