Is The Government Shutdown Affecting You Directly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I get it. I carry "0" balances, so I would have a lag time of up to 30 days before I had to pay anything and if I paid it then, no interest. I do not believe that I have ever paid interest on a credit card.

Beyond that- yeah, they are going to get hit with interest. Again, not pleasant, but this is the way life works sometimes.

I keep zero balances too. But I buy just about everything I can on a certain card that gives me back enough bonus cash to pay for my ammo needs. Then I pay it off every month so I don't have to pay interest. That way I can tell my wife, no honey, I didn't spend any money on ammo this month.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    But Trump said this shutdown could go on "for years".

Not very Dave Ramsian to just charge.

if it goes on for years then we have bigger overall problems as everyone/thing will change.

chase did not give an end date to their program. at somepoint they will have to revisit that. same for a .gov worker. at what point do you say. i quit. i have to move on.

too soon for many to think about this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But Trump said this shutdown could go on "for years".

Not very Dave Ramsian to just charge.

Trump says a lot of things.

Credit is a useful tool no matter what Dave Ramsay says, but if these people already have maxed out cards and can't get a personal line of credit....

Reality sucks sometimes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sure I have. You're trying to defend them by pointing out their poor money handling?

Hard to pay off balances sometimes when the pay sucks. BTDT. I had to carry balances when I started in government service.

Contrary to what may have been stated upthread, government jobs like the ones furloughed are not the gilded lilies they may appear to be, especially financially.

Heck, if they paid well, everyone would want those jobs.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I keep zero balances too. But I buy just about everything I can on a certain card that gives me back enough bonus cash to pay for my ammo needs. Then I pay it off every month so I don't have to pay interest. That way I can tell my wife, no honey, I didn't spend any money on ammo this month.

^^^ That's brilliant.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hard to pay off balances sometimes when the pay sucks. BTDT. I had to carry balances when I started in government service.

Contrary to what may have been stated upthread, government jobs like the ones furloughed are not the gilded lilies they may appear to be, especially financially.

Heck, if they paid well, everyone would want those jobs.

You are making my point. You had the tool of credit available to you when you needed it, presumably because you didn't stay in a constant state of having used it all up when you didn't need it.

...and being in debt or not being in debt has little to do with income level.

No credit card debt when I made $21,000/year, none now.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    No.
    You know of $5.7 Billion ransom demand...
    Outgoing Republican controlled Congress approved $1.5 billion for CBP to use for increased border protection, but Trump wants $5.7 Billion or nothing...
    So he shut the government down...

The truth is, that's a one year-$5.7 billion demand, the end cost will be at the VERY LEAST $22 Billion because that's Halliburton's bid to get started and no one else was even considered.

500 to 600 feet of 1/2" thick steel, 40' long already used all over the world for dams, sea walls, and to hold up mountain sides all over the world costs roughly $1 million installed. 500' to 600' depending on price of steel.
    Irving materials quoted this and the bid wasn't considered.
    530' long retaining wall installed on Oak Island cost $1 million, and the materials had to be trucked into a very difficult place, Oak Island isn't exactly on the beaten path...

That's 20' underground, 20' above ground INSTALLED!
    5,280 feet in a mile, at $1 million for 500 feet, that's $10.56 million a mile (before volume discount).
    How much wall can you hammer in the ground in ONE YEAR, with $1.5 Billion?...
    The logistics alone are mind boggling!

There is a reason I don't debate this with people, anyone that screams 'Build The Wall' has no idea what that will take, and you can't have a debate with someone that doesn't understand the scope or scale of the project.

I was in Dover, DE. yesterday, on the way back I listened to CSPAN and a couple other D.C. stations,
    Apparently Federal Judges are getting paid, while district judges aren't, and no lawyers representing the US are getting paid (US being plaintiff or defendant).

It's been a record year for E-coli, salmonella, listeria, etc. and all the USDA inspectors are out (not that the seemed to catch much on the front end in 2018).
    No oversight at all in food production...

I live in the middle of big agri-business area, and the Navy is complaining because there are no inspectors, military uses ONLY USDA inspected, and therefore no fresh meat...
    The poultry producers are complaining the Navy isn't buying the poultry they have ready to hit the processor.
    Local trucking is slowing because they move the meat the Navy consumes...

-----

For those that missed, or more likely ignored the posts above...
    They BOTH work under Homeland, from two paychecks to none.
    They are both prevented from having second jobs,
    In an 'Emergency' both are working double, and sometimes triple shifts,
    Depending on the rotation for paycheck issues, and both being under Homeland, the missed one paycheck because the shutdown hit just before their checks were issued, a second two weeks later, so they are on the way to missing a third, and that's BOTH of them.

He still works at the Coast Guard river port, while she is getting shuffled around to cover for people that 'Sick Out', and her travel expenses & time aren't paid no matter if the government decides to pay them or not.
    It's a big hit when you have to drive from Evansville to Indianapolis to work because you are ORDERED to...

My military disability check is late, it's a good thing I don't depend on it exclusively!

Nancy Peloisi said NO !!!!! How do you COMPROMISE, with THAT !!!!!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a thought: What if Trump forced the democrats to meet, and negotiate, until a settlement was reached?

He could pick any time he wanted.

He could do this legally.

Under Article II, Section III he has the power to do so. It clearly states, "...he (the president) may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn to such time as he shall think proper;..."

Regarding "on extraordinary occasions" I do believe the longest shutdown in history would qualify. Pelosi couldn't argue that.

He could even order fast food for them to eat until they reached an agreement?

I doubt Pelosi would be happy that he has a much bigger gauntlet than her!

It would be fun to watch.

Regards,

Doug

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a thought: What if Trump forced the democrats to meet, and negotiate, until a settlement was reached?

He could pick any time he wanted.

He could do this legally.

Under Article II, Section III he has the power to do so. It clearly states, "...he (the president) may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn to such time as he shall think proper;..."

Regarding "on extraordinary occasions" I do believe the longest shutdown in history would qualify. Pelosi couldn't argue that.

He could even order fast food for them to eat until they reached an agreement?

I doubt Pelosi would be happy that he has a much bigger gauntlet than her!

It would be fun to watch.

Regards,

Doug

And what happens when Congress comes to an agreement to pass a bill with no funding?

There's nothing in that section that says they have to agree with him.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    And what happens when Congress comes to an agreement to pass a bill with no funding?

True.

It's time for the President to propose funding for sections of the wall that would be most effective and get a budget passed. This all of nothing stuff is good theater...not necessarily good governing.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They jumped the border?... :stickpoke:

f1f61d6a8a1bcac06e77c7930dc7facc.gif

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

He calls both houses together, the House and the Senate. The Senate, along with the President, won't pass anything until there is funding for the wall.

Of course, the President should have a proposal to deal with all the dreamers and a couple other issues the democrats want, and then sit there for days, or weeks, until such time as an agreement is reached.

The point is, TRUMP would take control of adjourning the House, not Pelosi. He would be in charge of her little kingdom. I think it would be fun to see the tantrum she would throw.

And I'd bet he has more stamina (stubbornness) than she does to wait the other side out.

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    oh you are evil, evil libertarian01.
    if it gives him good ratings he would do it. :)

Imagine the timing IF he did it one (1) minute AFTER the State of the Union address!?!?!

They are all already there. The leadership could not leave to rebut him. They couldn't simply not show up. They would already be there.

And if they were stupid enough to just walk out then he, once there were about 230 (ie. a simple majority) people left in the room a QUORUM would exist! Then HE could call the vote with a vast majority of republicans present.

All within the Constitution. All 100% legal. But there would be screaming of a "Constitutional crisis." Oh yes, and much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It would be GLORIOUS!

Not for the wall, necessarily. I really don't care about the wall. But to see Pelosi tanked? Yes, I would go buy a bottle of good XO cognac and enjoy.

Regards,

Doug

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He calls both houses together, the House and the Senate. The Senate, along with the President, won't pass anything until there is funding for the wall.
    :orly:

I'd like to think there's an inflection point when even Mitch says, "enough is enough."
    The point is, TRUMP would take control of adjourning the House, not Pelosi. He would be in charge of her little kingdom. I think it would be fun to see the tantrum she would throw.
    Whoa - that's a big step over the boundary. I really don't think we want that Rubicon to be crossed. "Screw the division of power - give it all to one man because I agree with him this time."

I would hope the American people would be throwing a tantrum at point.

The ugly fact remains - it's her little kingdom because America decided to give it to her. That's the way the Constitution set up. I don't think it's fair to violate that.

Top Bottom