Is The Government Shutdown Affecting You Directly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One would think tithing could certainly affect that metric

Right?

I did one couple's taxes - their AGI exceeded mine (long story about how they got me to do their taxes)... They brought in all their registrations for all their toys - boats, ATV's, etc.

OK - let's add this up... vehicle taxes... state income taxes... mortgage interest... property taxes... "What about charitable giving?"

"Well, we both gave the United Way $100 at work."
    "Anything else?"
    "No."

:xmad:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Right?

I did one couple's taxes - their AGI exceeded mine (long story about how they got me to do their taxes)... They brought in all their registrations for all their toys - boats, ATV's, etc.

OK - let's add this up... vehicle taxes... state income taxes... mortgage interest... property taxes... "What about charitable giving?"

"Well, we both gave the United Way $100 at work."
    "Anything else?"
    "No."

:xmad:

I have seen ink indicating that charitable contributions (as a percentage of income, I believe) are much higher among the middle class (esp. conservatives and religious) than among the wealthy or the left. Have you encountered anyone seeking a deduction for the expenses of trying to build a needle with a camel-sized eye?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have seen ink indicating that charitable contributions (as a percentage of income, I believe) are much higher among the middle class (esp. conservatives and religious) than among the wealthy or the left. Have you encountered anyone seeking a deduction for the expenses of trying to build a needle with a camel-sized eye?
    No, but I've encountered many many impoverished people that have bought their charitable giving receipts (unaware of the std. ded. concept). So, yes, I'd agree that giving, as a percentage, is greater the lower you go on AGI.

That chart seems to bear it out - the more you make, the more *****rdly you are.

EDIT: Really?! I can't write "*****rdly" on INGO? It's spelled "GAR", not "GER"! The two words have nothing to do with each other. :xmad:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No, but I've encountered many many impoverished people that have bought their charitable giving receipts (unaware of the std. ded. concept). So, yes, I'd agree that giving, as a percentage, is greater the lower you go on AGI.

That chart seems to bear it out - the more you make, the more *****rdly you are.

EDIT: Really?! I can't write "*****rdly" on INGO? It's spelled "GAR", not "GER"! The two words have nothing to do with each other. :xmad:

Yeah, I discovered that awhile back.

Shades of David Howard.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wish that there had been a few standoffs over spending less money instead of spending more....

Yeah, I know it's about what the money is for and not the money, but there's a certain irony to a Republican standing firm on spending more and Democrats demanding spending less.

This is another reason why I would like to see the law changed to impose a "default" budget if a budget isn't passed by a certain date. The default budget would be a significant reduction in spending across the board. Then, the hostage would be the default budget going into effect, rather than government employees' paychecks. But to your point, there would be a certain contingent in congress which wants the default budget to go into effect because that's the most likely way to decrease spending. The concept worked with the sequestration a few years ago. Neither side would budge. The best thing happened...we cut spending. At least until they voted to spend more later. Still. I think it would be better than we have now.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That will surely help them retroactively eat the groceries they retroactively buy in the dining rooms of their apartments that let them retroactively pay rent.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...That chart seems to bear it out - the more you make, the more *****rdly you are....

Except there's no way to track the charitable contributions of people who don't itemize and I would image that in the lower strata, a significant reason they are itemizing is because of their own charitable deduction which, therefore, has a tendency to show a much higher "average" that it would if it accounted for all taxpayers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That will surely help them retroactively eat the groceries they retroactively buy in the dining rooms of their apartments that let them retroactively pay rent.

So you've never heard of credit cards and personal lines of credit?

Weird.

Back in the day, the firm I spent the most time with (to date) paid associates only a percentage of their paid fees (this ended 2 years before I started). This meant a 3 to 6 month lag before any money started coming in to be paid out and then, it ramped up slowly. There were still cases back then that only got billed after the case was done. Pay was irregular and sparse for months. Personal lines of credit were the rule of the day back then.

I'm not saying it's a great thing to not been paid (been there, done that in other contexts). It's a pain, but these federal workers aren't exactly the first people to face it. I don't blame them, but there are ways to deal with it.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you've never heard of credit cards?

Weird.

The bills come due. Minimum payments, low as they are, are required. The interest is accrued unless you take out a zero percent interest card. And not everything can be charged on a credit card. And why should they have to? Why do we need to hold them hostage when there's an impasse? Why can't the hostage be something that affects the two opposing sides?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

.gov employees can file for unemployment but will have to repay that money once paid by .gov.

also chase is giving interest free loans to .gov employees affected wgo get direct deposit. chsee will take the funds onxe .gov is open.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    .gov employees can file for unemployment but will have to repay that money once paid by .gov.

also chase is giving interest free loans to .gov employees affected wgo get direct deposit. chsee will take the funds onxe .gov is open.

Well, kudos to Chase. (I assume that's who you meant.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The bills come due. Minimum payments, low as they are, are required. The interest is accrued unless you take out a zero percent interest card. And not everything can be charged on a credit card. And why should they have to? Why do we need to hold them hostage when there's an impasse? Why can't the hostage be something that affects the two opposing sides?

I get it. I carry "0" balances, so I would have a lag time of up to 30 days before I had to pay anything and if I paid it then, no interest. I do not believe that I have ever paid interest on a credit card.

Beyond that- yeah, they are going to get hit with interest. Again, not pleasant, but this is the way life works sometimes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So you've never heard of credit cards and personal lines of credit?

Weird.

Back in the day, the firm I spent the most time with (to date) paid associates only a percentage of their paid fees (this ended 2 years before I started). This meant a 3 to 6 month lag before any money started coming in to be paid out and then, it ramped up slowly. There were still cases back then that only got billed after the case was done. Pay was irregular and sparse for months. Personal lines of credit were the rule of the day back then.

I'm not saying it's a great thing to not been paid (been there, done that in other contexts). It's a pain, but these federal workers aren't exactly the first people to face it. I don't blame them, but there are ways to deal with it.

But Trump said this shutdown could go on "for years".

Not very Dave Ramsian to just charge.

Top Bottom