Is The Government Shutdown Affecting You Directly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Why would Representative Pelosi think that they could get a plane, when all "nonessential operations" are supposed to be shut down?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, the shutdown isn't affecting me.
    But a brother is affected.
    I let him know there is a standing invitation for me to buy his family food.
    I'd probably have to buy it and leave it on his porch though. There is pride.

Besides, this has just started.

I like how the news is acting like this is the FIRST time it's ever happened.
    And that only ONE side is responsible.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well played. It was a masterful trolling. Probably not suitable for the office of the President, but it takes two to play petty games. And if you're going to play petty games, you might as well be way better than the other at it.

Agreed, petty on both sides.... now we'll see if he sends his guys to Switzerland.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The steady diet of alarmist news has changed flavors. No other direct impact here.

That and getting a good laugh out of Trump's travel counter to Pelosi's State of the Union request. Fun that our political theater now has a reality channel.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    It's certainly not a great situation for the workers...

...but I'm not so sure that standoffs like this aren't the way it's supposed to work.

Now that we've breached $22 trillion in debt, I think the time of things working the way they're supposed to is barely visible in the rear view.

At least the standoff has some entertaining moments.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    The Democrats just can't keep from shooting themselves in the foot. Swalwell wants to nuke gun owners. Something incredibly stupid always comes out of Ocasio Cortez's mouth. Now Nancy and her crew want a sight seeing trip during a crisis.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Now that we've breached $22 trillion in debt, I think the time of things working the way they're supposed to is barely visible in the rear view.

At least the standoff has some entertaining moments.

I wish that there had been a few standoffs over spending less money instead of spending more....

Yeah, I know it's about what the money is for and not the money, but there's a certain irony to a Republican standing firm on spending more and Democrats demanding spending less.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wish that there had been a few standoffs over spending less money instead of spending more....

Yeah, I know it's about what the money is for and not the money, but there's a certain irony to a Republican standing firm on spending more and Democrats demanding spending less.

Exactly! The days of true conservatism seems to be in the past. There's not much difference between R & D, except what they want to spend money on and which part of the government they want to expand.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Most people with an AGI under $54K never filed Sch. A, so that's pretty much moot.

How many people that elected not to file Scedule A ran both tax scenarios and selected the path that lead to owing the least taxes? I would not assume that they all made uninformed decisions

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

This situation also has a whiff of Kabuki about it. In the glorious pre-Trump good old days it manifested as folks on the right wanting to spend less on entitlements and more on defense, while those on the left wanted to cut defense and spend more on entitlements. The 'compromise' and 'reaching across the aisle' that was enshrined as the epitome of good governance usually resulted in doing both and spending even more. Then everybody went home, pretended to be somewhat unhappy with the outcome, and cashed the checks from their corporate and lobbyist patrons (and they all lived [strike]happily ever after[/strike] very, very well indeed)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How many people that elected not to file Scedule A ran both tax scenarios and selected the path that lead to owing the least taxes? I would not assume that they all made uninformed decisions

A lot of those are renters, and the majority of Sch. A deductions come from mortgage interest.

But, there's probably a percentage that made enough charitable contribution or medical payments that could eek over the line if they had better record keeping.

Top Bottom