• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The RO had NO idea what kind of state the OPs pistol was in. Cocked and locked? cocked and UNlocked? I am a total n00b, but even *I* see the danger in this!

oy

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    The RO committed an unsafe action. The line was hot. Weapons were not safe. He needed to:

1. Cease fire, cease fire
    2. Make the line safe
    3. Call your position, clear weapon out and rest on sandbag
    4. Call you up and explain the policies.

What he did is a SERIOUS issue that needs to be addressed before a injury or death occurs. RO needs to be reprimanded and attend RO refresher course - or even decertified!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Alright guys, here's the skinny from the OTHER Range Officer, Ed. I just got off the phone with him and he said that someone came out today and questioned him about the event. He didn't know anything about it so wasn't able to offer them any answers one way or the other.

I told him what had happened and he immediately said "It wasn't me!" I assured him that I stood up for him here in the forum and he was appreciative of that fact. He said from what the gentleman said to him today, a letter was written to his boss, along with a phone call (same guy?), in Indy and that the boss then issued a note to them. I don't know what the note says and I should have asked, thinking back on it now.

He said that it isn't against State law to carry openly or concealed on the range, it was range law. This takes us to the statement made earlier that "their range, their rules" which I'm sure would have been followed had he been made aware of it at the time, instead of having his loaded pistol drawn on the firing line.

The RO's name in question is John. He has been known for at least the last 6 years as a crank. When he is at the range it is run very strictly and very unfriendly. When Ed is there we always invite him out to join us for some hot dogs and soda, which he always does (except for this last shoot a couple weeks ago).

One last comment. Ed wanted me to admonish everyone to PLEASE DON'T STOP USING THE RANGE! It is a simple matter to call ahead and find out who is working that day or the day you would like to use the range. The number for Kingsbury DNR range is 219-393-1128. This range hosts a "Youth Fun Day at the Range" every year, which is a hunter retention/recruitment event, and the proceeds from the range fees help with this. This years event will be held Sunday, September 13th, and all youths aged 17 and younger are welcome and it's totally free to whoever shows up. They even provide safety glasses, ear plugs, bows, arrows, shotguns, clays, rifles, and all ammo. Even lunch is free and every child receives a really nice T-shirt commemorating the day.

Regards,
    Eric

Thanks for following up on this. What was Ed's opinion on how John handled the situation in question?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hope that actual issue and genuine crime committed don't get lost in the shuffle over what the range rules are and whether or not the original poster was obeying them. Both are completely irrelevant to the assault on his person and the criminal conversion of his pistol by the so-called "range officer." That's the issue that needs to be addressed, not whether or not it's against range rules to have a gun in a holster.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    IC 35-43-4-3
    Conversion
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person commits criminal conversion, a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) The offense under subsection (a) is a Class D felony if committed by a person who exerts unauthorized control over the motor vehicle of another person with the intent to use the motor vehicle to assist the person in the commission of a crime.
    (c) The offense under subsection (a) is a Class C felony if:
    (1) committed by a person who exerts unauthorized control over the motor vehicle of another person; and
    (2) the person uses the motor vehicle to assist the person in the commission of a felony.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    It is a simple matter to call ahead and find out who is working that day or the day you would like to use the range. The number for Kingsbury DNR range is 219-393-1128.

One should not have to call ahead and find out who's working. We should have Range Officers with common sense working OUR public state shooting ranges. Not only do I think this guy needs fired or let go, but maybe after this all State Range Officers need a refesher course not only on their postions, but legallly what they can and can't do and be covered by the state. As for legal action that is a matter for ChalupaCabras to deal with does he think it's worth it to pursue charges. :twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to repeat myself: if the original poster's story is true, he needs to file a complaint with the police and press criminal charges. The guy who snatched his gun is deserving of a conviction of criminal conversion, and perhaps a few others things. Getting him fired isn't enough, because he'll just pull the same crap again somewhere else to someone else.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Do you think the PD is even going to take this report? This is a DNR Officer that felt he was acting within his duties. (he wasn't obviously)

I can see a complaint filed with the DNR, but I wonder if the police would(could?) even get involved. I know DNR officers in Indiana are given full police powers, but at what level? (and does that matter?)

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Do you think the PD is even going to take this report? This is a DNR Officer that felt he was acting within his duties. (he wasn't obviously)

I can see a complaint filed with the DNR, but I wonder if the police would(could?) even get involved. I know DNR officers in Indiana are given full police powers, but at what level? (and does that matter?)

I think the DNR should be notified and the RO be reprimanded and/or:
    (2) decertified until completion of refresher course.
    It was a DNR range - their property. The unauthorized control of firearm was not as serious as the RO's disregard for range safety :noway:

preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    One should not have to call ahead and find out who's working. We should have Range Officers with common sense working OUR public state shooting ranges. Not only do I think this guy needs fired or let go, but maybe after this all State Range Officers need a refesher course not only on their postions, but legallly what they can and can't do and be covered by the state. As for legal action that is a matter for ChalupaCabras to deal with does he think it's worth it to pursue charges. :twocents:

I agree wholeheartedly, but until this issue is resolved (hopefully with John being fired), then everybody should continue to use the range and call ahead. You are more than welcome to do as you wish and shoot wherever you want, but I would hate to see a gun range go down because of this clown.

Regards,
    Eric

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I have shoot at Kingsbury and it is a nice range. Ed was the RO when i was there and he was a great guy. He stays on top of **** without being a dick about it.

He on several occasions had to comment about safety glasses and I knew he was directing it to me but he never gave me any **** about it.

I never liked having an RO at the range always felt they kinda ruined the experience but he was a good guy and I do enjoy the fact that they have controlled cease fires, more then once at JP or Winamac I have seen some clown playing with his/her weapon as I am walking back from downrange.

I will continue to go to Kingsbury especially when the weather is bad as long as ED is working.

Now if they would just allow pins or steels....... You think tannerite would be asking to much???:rockwoot:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    WOW I don't know what to say.

I have been out of town for a few days with family. I am stunned by how this thread has mushroomed! 10 pages? Thanks for the support and advice everyone.

I assure you all that the entirety of my story is true. Serial Crusher is a close friend of mine, and he will vouch for my honesty. I don't know If I included this in my original post or not, but on the day in question i was shooting with my fiance', and she saw the entire thing. She was sitting next to me during the entire incident. After the RO walked away, I looked at her and her mouth was hanging open. I have a witness. This event really did happen.

Yesterday, around 3PM I believe, I received a call from the manager of the DNR Kingsbury property. He said that he had received notice of the incident from Major Hunter of the DNR conservation officers and the he wanted me to fill him in on the details. I was polite and informed him that the RO had approached unannounced on a hot range and snatched my gun. I told him that he said it was against state law. I told him that the RO committed a spectacular safety breech and that he has no business being a safety officer. The manager didn't seem happy, and he said that he would speak with the RO in question. We will see if anything comes of it.

Thanks preachere for finding out which RO is was. John correct? I have met Ed before, and I agree that he is a nice guy. I have no quarrels with him.

preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    You are more than welcome CC, I'm just glad I could help out in any way. And you are correct, it was John. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I'm sure you will keep us abreast as things progress.

Regards,
    Eric

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    WOW I don't know what to say.

I have been out of town for a few days with family. I am stunned by how this thread has mushroomed! 10 pages? Thanks for the support and advice everyone.

I assure you all that the entirety of my story is true. Serial Crusher is a close friend of mine, and he will vouch for my honesty. I don't know If I included this in my original post or not, but on the day in question i was shooting with my fiance', and she saw the entire thing. She was sitting next to me during the entire incident. After the RO walked away, I looked at her and her mouth was hanging open. I have a witness. This event really did happen.

Yesterday, around 3PM I believe, I received a call from the manager of the DNR Kingsbury property. He said that he had received notice of the incident from Major Hunter of the DNR conservation officers and the he wanted me to fill him in on the details. I was polite and informed him that the RO had approached unannounced on a hot range and snatched my gun. I told him that he said it was against state law. I told him that the RO committed a spectacular safety breech and that he has no business being a safety officer. The manager didn't seem happy, and he said that he would speak with the RO in question. We will see if anything comes of it.

Thanks preachere for finding out which RO is was. John correct? I have met Ed before, and I agree that he is a nice guy. I have no quarrels with him.

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that they actually called you. I hope it was because of a desire to correct a wrong, and not just blowing smoke...

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I wish that was me, i would have loved for him to do that and i respond in a matter of self defense. What PTSD?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am not trying to start a fight here, but I see all these posts about what "I woulda done" and "I woulda butt-stroked him" etc, and I have to ask:

You DO realize this DNR officer is also a Police Officer, yes? Do you really think that if you hit the guy, even if he was wrong, you wouldn't be in jail for assault and battery of a police officer?

Top Bottom