• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I haven't been to the Kingsbury range, but at Wilbur Wright near New Castle, the little booth where you sign your admission card has a sheet of rules posted that says (among other things) that no handgun may be worn or drawn from a holster. This may differ from the official policy, but that's the current range rules and the range-dude on duty points it out and enforces it. He at least waits to get your attention then tells you you can't holster carry on the range. It's supposed be in a case or bag. Actually a lot of people come and lay their uncovered weapons on the table... curiously no one ever says anything about that.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is a re-post from my thread on The High Road.

To make a long story short, I went to the Kingsburry Fish and Wildlife Area 's DNR operated shooting range on Sunday.

I open carry a lot of the time, and I was doing so that day as well. I have a valid Indiana unlimited permit. I was sighting in my rifle when i felt a tug on my belt. I spun around to find that the range officer had snuck up behind me on a hot firing line and snatched the loaded pistol from my hoster without ever making his presence known or attempting to gain my attention in any way. He just waltzed up from my 5 O'clock and grabbed it without asking.

I know how I SHOULD have reacted: I have been through a few formal carry oriented classes before, so I have been told and shown what to do when someone makes a grab for your gun, but at this moment my focus was on my front sight post and not the people around me. I had a loaded AR-15 in my hands when he did this. Needless to say, this stunt could have gotten the man a free dirt nap. Thankfully we are both still alive and well. I knew imediatley what ahppened, and I was so shocked that it had happened, that I froze up.

The range officer then proceeded to stare down at me. He was standing so close, that I didn't have enough room to stand up from the bench I was shooting at. He told me that you cant carry a gun on the line for "safety reasons". I tried to explain to him that I have a pistol permit, but he told me that it was "state law that you can't carry on DNR property", and that he needs to be in controll of all firearms so that he can be sure its safe when calling a cease fire.

If that policy is true, I don't have any problem following it. Their range, their rules. BUT the actions of this range officer were, in my view, extreemly unsafe and uncalled for. I am in the process of filing a formal complaint against the man, and have contacted Major hunter of the DNR conservation officers to try and get things moving.

What do YOU think about the situation?

If this description of events is accurate I'd classify the RO as a drama queen and a dumbarse.

That said, I wouldn't want most of the people on this forum waiting behind my back with a loaded weapon in their control while I went down range to post a new target. I don't see how you could possibly read this forum for a full week and think that would be a wise move.

It's probably a big reason I don't attend public ranges much.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    If this description of events is accurate I'd classify the RO as a drama queen and a dumbarse.

That said, I wouldn't want most of the people on this forum waiting behind my back with a loaded weapon in their control while I went down range to post a new target. I don't see how you could possibly read this forum for a full week and think that would be a wise move.

The average idiot is potentially dangerous. Horseplay involving a loaded pistol is over the top.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I guess it's agood thing for him that you didn't have pre programmed retention techniques down. If he's have done that to a lot of folks I know, he would've had a sprained or broken wrist, or (since you had an AR in your hands) a butt stroke to the face & then been looking up the barrel of either your unholstered pistol or AR!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Try to take my gun, I will do my very best to kill you. By the time I realized it was a dumbass range officer, it would be tool late. And I'm not the only one out there with that line of thinking and training.

Asshat is going to get himself or someone else dead.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    Man what a complete and utter moron. And people are supposed to be safe with someone like that overseeing the range.

I'm just glad that you or someone else didn't get hurt by this dumb ass. Please keep us posted on how your complaint goes.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    This "RO" really needs to pull his head out of his Fourth Point of Contact, and think about what he is doing. If anyone tried this S**t with me, someone would be broken and bleeding in the hospital, if not pushing daisies. It seems to me a clear case of assault, and therefore and individual may defend themselves. Plus, you have those like me, who are trained to NEVER have your weapon taken from you, no matter the cost.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This "RO" really needs to pull his head out of his Fourth Point of Contact, and think about what he is doing. If anyone tried this S**t with me, someone would be broken and bleeding in the hospital, if not pushing daisies. It seems to me a clear case of assault, and therefore and individual may defend themselves. Plus, you have those like me, who are trained to NEVER have your weapon taken from you, no matter the cost.

Amen to that. Someone tries to go for my gun, they better get it. Or get ****ed up in the process.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville

common range rules anywhere, mags out, unloaded, bolts back, or holstered and dont touch :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Common range rules or not, it's not uncommon for some idiot to start fiddling with a weapon while the line is "cold". That's why many of us aren't willing to be unarmed and DOWNRANGE!!!

Further, it is never "common range rules" for the RO to disarm you. I am not trying to put words in your mouth, I just want to be clear that this is bad practice.

Although, really, this whole argument isn't very many steps from a "cold range" versus "hot range" argument.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I OC at Jasper Pulaski all the time. Range master doesn't say a word. I generally don't even shoot the pistol either.

I am not leaving 3k worth of weapons on a table while I go down range. I am not leaving, albeit unloaded, weapons with mags and ammo sitting right next to them as I go down range to change a target while people I don't know are 20ft away.

My saftey is paramount to me. My holstered firearm is no threat to them. This policy is just as bad a applebee's. And they're not a shooting range.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    After reading this I'm almost speechless. The complete, profound, and utter stupidity of this range officer is almost beyond comprehension.

I know people who would have shot him DEAD right there without thinking twice. Seriously.

The man isn't fit to be a range officer. I mean, the lack of judgment this demonstrates - wow.

I can hardly believe it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    After reading this I'm almost speechless. The complete, profound, and utter stupidity of this range officer is almost beyond comprehension.

I know people who would have shot him DEAD right there without thinking twice. Seriously.

The man isn't fit to be a range officer. I mean, the lack of judgment this demonstrates - wow.

I can hardly believe it.

This is why I have a knife! I may not have been able to shoot him, but by God he would have been cut!

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I can't sneak up on my husband for fear of being seriously hurt... it's just reflex for him. (Another reason he never sits with his back to the door in a restaurant.) This guy is SO lucky to be alive right now.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I can't sneak up on my husband for fear of being seriously hurt... it's just reflex for him. (Another reason he never sits with his back to the door in a restaurant.) This guy is SO lucky to be alive right now.

My wife keeps a broom handle behind our bedroom door for when I go to sleep before she comes to bed. :D

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Be extra careful while on public ranges. They seem to attract biker gang rejects. Be courteous. Be polite. But have a plan on how to kill everyone you meet.

Top Bottom