• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If that policy is true, I don't have any problem following it. Their range, their rules. BUT the actions of this range officer were, in my view, extreemly unsafe and uncalled for. I am in the process of filing a formal complaint against the man, and have contacted Major hunter of the DNR conservation officers to try and get things moving.

What do YOU think about the situation?

I think you need to very RESPECTFULLY ask for them to cite you the regulation. You may want to print out the regulations and provide them a copy. Doing so will make it very difficult for them to 'fudge' a new regulation that does not exist.

Here is a link to their rules (pdf format): http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/312IAC8.pdf

FWIW, I did a document search for the term HANDGUN and found no references. I did a document search for the term PISTOL and found 1 reference. I did a document search for the term HOLSTER and found no references. That all said, it would be hard to have a regulation that forbids holstered weapons if they don't use the term holster.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I all ways carry the Glock 19 IWB cancelled while on a public range. When on my home made range I found taking off my sun glasses and setting them on top of my pistol box will provide a view from the reflection of what’s behind me. When I want to shoot the 19 I load the Beretta and holster it all so. One time I was on the DNR range at Wilbur Wright and had it all to my self. Then a couple of shady characters pulled in to the parking lot and stayed in there car for about 15 mins, I got a little nervous about going down range to check my targets. Do I just leave the guns on the bench and go down range? Not hardly, ever since I have made it a point not to be completely unloaded, but I am a kook and paranoid.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I think you need to very RESPECTFULLY ask for them to cite you the regulation. You may want to print out the regulations and provide them a copy. Doing so will make it very difficult for them to 'fudge' a new regulation that does not exist.

Here is a link to their rules (pdf format): http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/312IAC8.pdf

FWIW, I did a document search for the term HANDGUN and found no references. I did a document search for the term PISTOL and found 1 reference. I did a document search for the term HOLSTER and found no references. That all said, it would be hard to have a regulation that forbids holstered weapons if they don't use the term holster.

Thanks for the link...

I could find nothing stating that a firearm can't be in a holster:

(i) The following terms apply to the use of shooting ranges:
    (1) A person must not use a shooting range unless the person is at least eighteen (18) years of age or accompanied by a
    person who is at least eighteen (18) years of age.
    (2) A person must register with the department before using a shooting range.
    (3) A person must shoot only at paper targets placed on target holders provided by the department. All firing must be
    downrange with reasonable care taken to assure any projectile is stopped by the range backstop.
    (4) Shot no larger than size six (6) must be used on a shotgun range.
    (5) A person must not discharge a firearm using automatic fire.
    (6) A person must not use tracer, armor-piercing, or incendiary rounds.
    (7) A person must not play on, climb on, walk on, or shoot into or from the side berms.
    (8) A person must not shoot at clay pigeons, except on a site designated for shooting clay pigeons. Glass and other forms
    of breakable targets must not be used on a shooting range.
    (9) A person must dispose of the targets used by the person under section 2(a) of this rule.
    (10) Permission must be obtained from the department in advance for a shooting event that involves any of the following:
    (A) An entry fee.
    (B) Competition for cash, awards, trophies, citations, or prizes.
    (C) The exclusive use of the range or facilities.
    (D) A portion of the event occurring between sunset and sunrise.
    (11) On a field course, signs and markers must be staked. Trees must not be marked or damaged.
    Also, this makes it seem like you can't carry on DNR property... which confuses me because I thought you could:
    312 IAC 8-2-3 Hunting, trapping, and firearms
    Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1
    Affected: IC 14-22-11-1
    Sec. 3. (a) A person must comply with all federal and state hunting, trapping, and firearms laws.
    (b) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows at any of the following locations:
    (1) Inside a check station or headquarters building.
    (2) Within a nature preserve unless signs indicate that hunting is authorized.
    (3) On a property administered by the division of museums and historic sites.
    (c) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows unless one (1) of the following conditions apply:
    (1) The firearm or bow and arrows are:
    (A) unloaded and unnocked; and
    (B) placed in a case or locked within a vehicle.
    (2) The firearm or bow and arrows are possessed at, and of a type designated for usage on, a rifle, pistol, shotgun, or
    archery range.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This almost warrants a lawyer drafting a letter to his department to clarify the situation. Someone is going to get hurt/shot/killed/jailed over that kind of behavior. At least he needs to carry an airhorn to sound off when he needs everyone's attention.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I all ways carry the Glock 19 IWB cancelled while on a public range. When on my home made range I found taking off my sun glasses and setting them on top of my pistol box will provide a view from the reflection of what’s behind me. When I want to shoot the 19 I load the Beretta and holster it all so. One time I was on the DNR range at Wilbur Wright and had it all to my self. Then a couple of shady characters pulled in to the parking lot and stayed in there car for about 15 mins, I got a little nervous about going down range to check my targets. Do I just leave the guns on the bench and go down range? Not hardly, ever since I have made it a point not to be completely unloaded, but I am a kook and paranoid.

Good thinking.

I know it's fictional, but the scene in "Silverado" where Emmett (Scot Glenn's character) is practicing in the desert, and the bad guys wait until he is empty to ambush him is very instructional. If you don't think it can happen in real life, do some research on Mattix and Platte (spelling may be wrong), the guys from the infamous 1986 Miami shootout with the FBI. Those guys did ambush people who were shooting recreationally in the Everglades.

If you're at a range like the one in this topic where some a**hat is going to cause problems for you, it makes sense to conceal whatever you keep on you for personal protection.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    If he did that to me and I didn't know who it was he would have got buttstroked. Anyone attempting to pull your gun out of your holster especially while you are holding a "hot" weapon is putting your life and their life in danger. You just don't do that.

I just had to make sure this part of the message got "bumped"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    If he did that to me and I didn't know who it was he would have got buttstroked. Anyone attempting to pull your gun out of your holster especially while you are holding a "hot" weapon is putting your life and their life in danger. You just don't do that.

I'm sorry....I know what this is and how much damage it can do when properly applied...but everytime I hear someone say "buttstroke" I can't help but laugh.:laugh:

Seriously though...yeah. The guy obviously didn't consider the potential conseqences of approaching someone from behind and tugging a loaded weapon out of their holster. Just because you're a range officer at the range doesn't mean that the normal rules don't apply....he's very lucky that the OP didn't react instinctivly and injure him.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    Wow, I have heard of some over-the-top RO's but that is going waaaaay too far. I have heard for years these guys think they own whatever range they are assigned to. I think they come up with their own rules. This is one of the reasons I prefer to shoot either by myself (with my friends) or on private property. That guy makes ranges very uncomfortable to go to sometimes.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I just submitted an email on the DNR's site. I am very curious of this situation, as I have carried at that range (concealed) for years. I noticed the "rule" in tiny letters upon leaving last time I went to Kingsbury. I'll let you know if they give me a reply.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Shooting Range

• The shooting range is safe, modern and staffed by qualified range officers.
    • Use of eye and ear protection is required of all participants and observers.
    • The range has 37 shooting positions: 10 positions at 50 yards, five positions at 100 yards, 18 positions at 10,15 or 25 yards, and four shotgun stations.
    • Bring your own paper targets or clay birds.
    • Indoor restrooms accessible to persons with disabilities are available.
    • Range is open Tuesday-Sunday, 9 a.m.CST to dusk (varies by season, call to check time).
    • Fees for the range are $4 a day for age 18 and older, $2 a day for younger than 18 (under 18 must be accompanied by an adult), $10 a day for a family (ex: 2 adults and 2 children).
    • Target practice is permitted only in established ranges.
    • Call 219-393-1128.

I have to SERIOUSLY question the first one...

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    i dont know what i would have done, i probably would have pulled my rifle back and swung around like i was going to nail him in the face with the butt stock, and stopped if i knew who it was and bitched him out, if i didnt recognize him i probably wouldnt stop, i dont care if he is a range officer or not that isnt safe for either the person carrying or the RO themselves, worst he can do is tell me to leave the premesis, worst i can do is give him an earfull and leave and file a complaint :ranton:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Well, I have been put in touch with the mans supperior. Unfortunatly, he is out of his office until Friday. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update. I am glad you are trying to get answers. This guy could get himself or somebody else killed. What if your gun discharged when he grabbed it??? You, him, or somebody else, could have been shot.

...and this guy is "qualified range officer" eh? :rolleyes::ugh:

Top Bottom