Insulted by Pendleton, IN Chief of Police...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Contact the Town Manager

The web address for Pendleton is Town of Pendleton town.pendleton.in.us
    There is a link here to send e-mail to the town manager with your complaint. Would be interesting to see his response to this.

I had several conversations with the chief before this guy and he was a pretty good guy. I think the town didn't want him there anymore as he was not "pretty" like this gentleman.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    There is a link here to send e-mail to the town manager with your complaint. Would be interesting to see his response to this.

I had several conversations with the chief before this guy and he was a pretty good guy. I think the town didn't want him there anymore as he was not "pretty" like this gentleman.

Sent out letters to the chief, question and answer section on the police web, and the city answer person yesterday!

jkennedy@pendletonpd.org

sbrown@pendletonpd.org

chieffarrer@pendletonpd.org

Will post any and all answers! :ingo:

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Man, this is crazy. I was just at the June Jamboree in Pendleton yesterday around 5pm OC-ing with my Beretta PX4 storm and walked right past the Sherff's Department trailer and another Pendleton cop (not Marc Farrer), none of which said a word to me about my gun. I don't know why he said anything to you. I have never had a problem with Marc. I've ran into him around town a few times as well as had him at my house when he was with the Madison County Sheriff's Dept. for some property line issues during deer season and he's never been anything but polite.

Dracconix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Man, this is crazy. I was just at the June Jamboree in Pendleton yesterday around 5pm OC-ing with my Beretta PX4 storm and walked right past the Sherff's Department trailer and another Pendleton cop (not Marc Farrer), none of which said a word to me about my gun.

I DID TOO!!! ... I walked all over for like 2 hours before someone said anything to me... and well you all know how that went...

An OC day in Pendleton would be awesome... but for it to be effective I think it would be better if it was during a public event. Maybe we could even pass out info on firearms and firearm safety....

And I want to say again to everyone... thank you for the support and suggestions.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I realize this will not be a popular opinion, but I agree with the cop. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. Carry all the guns you want, but why do they need to be seen. It just seems that some people do this to get attention. I know I would not want to see guns on every hip and the fair.

There's and important distinction here that you seem to be missing.

I don't open carry, either. So from the standpoint of personal behavior choices, I agree with you.

This isn't a thread about open carry, though. This is a thread about a law enforcement officer harrassing and insulting a citizen, telling him he was breaking the law, when in fact the citizen was obeying the law and doing nothing illegal.

If you want to say "I disagree with OC and I think we should change the law to make it illegal," then we would have a rational basis for a discussion.

But you have basically said "I agree with police officers making up nonexistent laws, harrassing and insulting people even when they're doing nothing illegal."

I cannot wrap my brain around your position here. Exactly what kind of society are you advocating?

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    An OC day in Pendleton would be awesome... but for it to be effective I think it would be better if it was during a public event. Maybe we could even pass out info on firearms and firearm safety....

And I want to say again to everyone... thank you for the support and suggestions.

how bout maybe an ingo booth at the next jamboree?? or doesn't pendelton do something around labor day?

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Whatever you do get at least an audio recording. Have a personal audio recorder on your person running all the time. Periodically stop and delete the dead air and restart the recorder. These devices are cheap. Many MP3 players record audio. This might run the batt down in your phone or the phone may not be designed for recording evidence. The officer who lectures or creates law out of the air should experience a job loss due to their liability to the city's legal defense insurance rates. Citys that employ judges behind badges should get the opportunity to spend like winners.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I realize this will not be a popular opinion, but I agree with the cop. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. Carry all the guns you want, but why do they need to be seen. It just seems that some people do this to get attention. I know I would not want to see guns on every hip and the fair.
    Nice assumption. I oc about 90% of the time. The second best attention I can get is no attention. The first best is someone inquiring about firearm carry and what they have to do to be able to carry too.
    To the OP. Nicely handled. The only thing you could have done better was to not give in and cover up. Though this could have made for a difficult evening. Hope this is your first and last negative experience.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I really have nothing to add as everything has been well covered. I will just say that I would be more then happy to drive over to Pendleton (I asked my wife to marry me in falls park:wwub:) for an open carry event. There seems to be an interest. I hope it happens.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I say f-him, sounds like a real d-head. Give Sheriff Ken a call and ask what your next move should be. If you (we) don't stand up for ourselfs it will only get worse, case in point! The job of the police is to uphold the law, not make there own, if he doesn't like the way it is HE needs to talk to his town counsel and try to get weapons banned from HIS town, as for the dick on a hip...

Do you refer to Sheriff Campbell of Boone County when you say "Sheriff Ken" above? If so, he is not a supporter of open carry. I have a lot of respect for him and I like him, but he's not a supporter of open carry.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

The former Chief of Police of Pendleton died. It makes sense that the town would no longer want him as Chief at some point.

Top Bottom