Insulted by Pendleton, IN Chief of Police...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I did'nt read but the first page but , BULL CRAP ... cummon lets have his e-mail address so we can fill his box up... you shoulda came right on here and posted "cummon down the the open carry fair" Id'a made the drive.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Just received this response from Mr Farrer, Pendleton Police Chief:

Mr. Arnold,
    In response to your email, you are more than welcome to carry your weapon within the Town of Pendleton as long as you have the LTCH permit issued by the State. As an NRA member, I appreciate responsible gun ownership. Marc

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Just received this response from Mr Farrer, Pendleton Police Chief:

Mr. Arnold,
    In response to your email, you are more than welcome to carry your weapon within the Town of Pendleton as long as you have the LTCH permit issued by the State. As an NRA member, I appreciate responsible gun ownership. Marc

I responded with the following email:

Chief,

Thank you for the quick reply but I'm not sure if it really addressed the specific issue of OPEN CARRY.

In your view does the "LTCH permit issued by the State" permit open carry!

Sam

I will post his reply when received.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I gathered from the chief's response that he doesn't want to push his opinions/agenda via email. Nothing more.

Real life in public = evidently different story from Mr. Dick on the hip

I applaud the email to the chief about this, but I wouldn't expect a written response that says OC isn't legal. If he does, then he's clearly one of the dumbest LEO's ever.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I applaud the email to the chief about this, but I wouldn't expect a written response that says OC isn't legal. If he does, then he's clearly one of the dumbest LEO's ever.

chief.jpg

Sorry just wanted to put those two things in one post to see how it looks.
    :D
    Suspicions confirmed.

I've got a box of ammo (your choice out of what I possess) for anybody who is confronted by him that repeatedly calls him "Officer Farva" (accidentally, of course) :laugh: Must provide audio or video evidence.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I gathered from the chief's response that he doesn't want to push his opinions/agenda via email. Nothing more.

Real life in public = evidently different story from Mr. Dick on the hip

Oh well!

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Here is Chief Farrer's response to 2nd email!

I’m sorry, I thought your concern was simply having the weapon within the Town of Pendleton. First of all thank you for sending me the link to refresh me of the rule. Unfortunately the State has remained to be “silent” on the issue forcing local officials to be the front line of the interpretation of the law. Until there is a local ordinance, which is currently in the works, it is my understanding, from what I read, that open carry is allowed with a proper permit by the State. Be prepared though, to have Law Enforcement approach to check credentials since we get numerous phone calls and reports when people are openly carrying a weapon, as was the case at our June Jamboree. Stop in and visit, Marc

"Until there is a local ordinance, which is currently in the works,"

Gives you an idea of the Chief's view of our 2nd Amendment rights!

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    For those interested:

Pendleton Elected Officials:

State Representative Scott E. Reske State Senator Timothy S. Lanane [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pendleton Town Council: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An elected 5-person council is the main governing body in Pendleton. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Donald E. Henderson
    Council President
    Jeanette Isbell
    Council Vice President
    Andrea Canaday
    Council Member
    [/FONT] Bob Campbell
    Council Member
    Eddie Traylor
    Council Member
    Tim Ryan
    Clerk - Treasurer
    Council may be contacted at:
    100 West State St.
    P.O. Box 230
    Pendleton, IN 46064
    Phone: 765-778-2173
    Clerk Treasurer may be contacted at:
    100 West State St.
    P.O. Box 358
    Pendleton, IN 46064
    Phone: 765-778-7937

In this day of everyone looking at how they can attrack more money to their communities the town council may want to know how their Police Chief is making people feel welcome.

The state Rep. and Senator may be interested in how the Chief isn't aware of a very common law and then trys to intimadate citizens!

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Here is Chief Farrer's response to 2nd email!

I’m sorry, I thought your concern was simply having the weapon within the Town of Pendleton. First of all thank you for sending me the link to refresh me of the rule. Unfortunately the State has remained to be “silent” on the issue forcing local officials to be the front line of the interpretation of the law. Until there is a local ordinance, which is currently in the works, it is my understanding, from what I read, that open carry is allowed with a proper permit by the State. Be prepared though, to have Law Enforcement approach to check credentials since we get numerous phone calls and reports when people are openly carrying a weapon, as was the case at our June Jamboree. Stop in and visit, Marc

The red highlighted area is where I have the problem with it. He doesn't have to "interpret" anything. All he has to do is note that it is a LTCH and that the statutes do not specify HOW to carry.

I wonder what he'd think if you slung an AR over your back. He might just wet himself and promptly have a stroke :D

Sounds to me like, while he says it's okay in print in this email, that he wants to intimidate people into submission while in person.

Either way, he's sorely mistaken if he thinks there is something "in the works" regarding a local ordinance, which furthers my point that he is either:
    • an idiot who doesn't understand the state's pre-emption laws
    • a LEO who tries to intimidate you into following his RULES, and not his state's LAWS.
    This asshat is borderline comical.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The red highlighted area is where I have the problem with it. He doesn't have to "interpret" anything. All he has to do is note that it is a LTCH and that the statutes do not specify HOW to carry.

I wonder what he'd think if you slung an AR over your back. He might just wet himself and promptly have a stroke :D

Sounds to me like, while he says it's okay in print in this email, that he wants to intimidate people into submission while in person.

Either way, he's sorely mistaken if he thinks there is something "in the works" regarding a local ordinance, which furthers my point that he is either:
    • a LEO who tries to intimidate you into following his RULES, and not his state's LAWS.

AR open carry event. Woohoo!:rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Sadly, I think he does understand the preemption laws and the limitation thereof, that local governments except townships can regulate their property except highways so as to prevent firearms carry.

They cannot regulate property that is not theirs without running afoul of the preemption law, if I understand it correctly.

Blessings,
    Bill

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The fact that state law nullifies such local ordinances (when they extend beyond municipally owned properties) does not stop towns from passing them. An ordinance on the books that is invalid will still intimidate and discourage people who are ignorant of their rights and of the law (which combined with is the majority of people). Those who pass such ordinances know this and count on it.

Consider the ordinances in South Bend, for example. Not grandfathered and thus not valid, but they're still going to use them cow the ignorant.

Top Bottom