Insulted by Pendleton, IN Chief of Police...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Just remember, if you're a cop and you don't know the law, you aren't punished. If you're an every day Joe and you don't know the law, you're punished for it. Sometime try "I didn't know, officer!" next time you run into the fuzz.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Just received this from the Chief!

Sam,

While I do appreciate a good roast every now and then, I recently read where you forwarded questions to the Pendleton Town Council and me saying that I did not respond. I believe I responded and conceded my mistake in believing that Indiana was a “Conceal Only” State during our last email conversation. I never got anything further from you to make me believe that you did not believe me or that you misunderstood my intentions of agreeing with you on the OC topic. You forwarding me the link for review was very beneficial. As I told (Dracconix) Joshua that night, I have always been told that Indiana was a conceal State and without him being able to prove otherwise, that was my belief, and consensus of the Officers at the scene of our conversation. In fact, you have made me somewhat of an advocate in educating other LEO’s reference the “Silent Stance” the State takes on the topic.
    Again thanks for the information, I learned something,
    Chief Marc Farrer

I will respond to Marc's email in stating that he did not answer where the requested information could be found at in reference to his mentioned MWG (Man with a Gun) calls or where I could find details of the on going process of making Pendleton's a gun free zone areas.

Other wise I appreciate his response, acknowledgment and input. It is greatly appreciated.

Jeez man let it go. No one is perfect. Cops are cops,not lawyers. While cops need a good working knowledge of our laws,no one knows them all inside and out. Most of our laws are common sense laws. Using common sense as a general guide is typically pretty accurate. It is not like you was thrown in jail of something.

One thing to keep in mind,stuff like this can cause changes to be made. Use common sense and carry concealed. Had you been doing so there would have been no conversation between you two. Just because it is legal does not mean you should do it. It's legal to go hang out at gay bars but I'm not to interested.

I don't know the chief there but I am certain he is a good guy.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Do good guys tell a man he is wearing his d*ck on his hip and otherwise insult a man for lawfully exercising his rights?

You didn't read the whole post. You aren't supposed to exercise your rights, because a cop might not like it :rolleyes:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Use common sense and carry concealed. Had you been doing so there would have been no conversation between you two. Just because it is legal does not mean you should do it. It's legal to go hang out at gay bars but I'm not to interested.

You had me up to this point. Note the blue reference, if he did as you suggest then the chief never would have been informed. His common sense shouldn't be judged by his choice of carry.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...if he did as you suggest then the chief never would have been informed.

Huge :+1:

"Stuff like this" did cause a change to be made. A positive change for that matter.

It's only common sense to conceal if you are a criminal or where openly carrying is not allowed.

The rest of us have a choice of options which should not be infringed or abdicated. We get to make that choice...
    you know, We the people.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Just received this from the Chief!

Sam,

While I do appreciate a good roast every now and then, I recently read where you forwarded questions to the Pendleton Town Council and me saying that I did not respond. I believe I responded and conceded my mistake in believing that Indiana was a “Conceal Only” State during our last email conversation. I never got anything further from you to make me believe that you did not believe me or that you misunderstood my intentions of agreeing with you on the OC topic. You forwarding me the link for review was very beneficial. As I told (Dracconix) Joshua that night, I have always been told that Indiana was a conceal State and without him being able to prove otherwise, that was my belief, and consensus of the Officers at the scene of our conversation. In fact, you have made me somewhat of an advocate in educating other LEO’s reference the “Silent Stance” the State takes on the topic.
    Again thanks for the information, I learned something,
    Chief Marc Farrer

I will respond to Marc's email in stating that he did not answer where the requested information could be found at in reference to his mentioned MWG (Man with a Gun) calls or where I could find details of the on going process of making Pendleton's a gun free zone areas.

Other wise I appreciate his response, acknowledgment and input. It is greatly appreciated.

Agreed. Chief Farrer, if you are on INGO, please PM me. You get a rep for this reply.

Blessings,
    Bill

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Just remember, if you're a cop and you don't know the law, you aren't punished. If you're an every day Joe and you don't know the law, you're punished for it. Sometime try "I didn't know, officer!" next time you run into the fuzz.

You my friend could not be more wrong!!

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Jeez man let it go. No one is perfect. Cops are cops,not lawyers. While cops need a good working knowledge of our laws,no one knows them all inside and out. Most of our laws are common sense laws. Using common sense as a general guide is typically pretty accurate. It is not like you was thrown in jail of something.

One thing to keep in mind,stuff like this can cause changes to be made. Use common sense and carry concealed. Had you been doing so there would have been no conversation between you two. Just because it is legal does not mean you should do it. It's legal to go hang out at gay bars but I'm not to interested.

I do appreciate the Chief's letter and admitting wrongdoing. That's a standup thing to do. We shouldn't push it too far.

Now, for the quote, Cops do need a good working knowledge of the law. The thing is, this is something that is not hard to keep straight in your head as you should always be prepared for someone carrying in the state of Indiana. It's not like we're asking police to memorize some obscure IC in the book and enforce it. YOU NEVER ENFORCE WITHOUT KNOWING EXACTLY what that IC says unless you want to open yourself up for a lawsuit. This is why sometimes it takes awhile to get warrants and such and why uniform officers will consult lawyers/higher ups in the dept. before taking action.

The Chief misunderstood and I can understand that. He wasn't doing it to be a douchebag, he was doing it b/c he misunderstood the law. Now, calling it a "d*ck" on his hip wasn't the right thing to say, either. But, We live and learn. I've said some dumb stuff in confrontational moments too. It happens. To keep from a constant slandering, we should post something in a thread with his response and such to say no hard feelings.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

I agree the Chief did learn the law and no one is perfect. My only thought was to ANSWER HIS QUESTIONS as to why the letter was sent on to the Town Council after his reply. This was due to his not answer where the requested information could be found in reference to his mentioned MWG (Man with a Gun) calls or where I could find details of the on going process of making Pendleton's a gun free zone areas.

I'm sure he'll be back on our web site soon. I'll take it for granted that he'll see the reason for the additional letters.

Marc, I hope you do see the most recent posts applauding you for your reply and try not to take offense to those that choose to be "less appreciative".

Mike G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Greenwood
    It was good of him to reply to you and admit he learned something from the encounter. It takes a big brass set for a person to do that, knowing that his reply would end up here for all to see. It's becoming more rare everyday to meet someone who will own up to a mistake. I applaud him for that and for becoming an advocate for educating his fellow leo's to the same.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Originally Posted by j706
    Use common sense and carry concealed. Had you been doing so there would have been no conversation between you two. Just because it is legal does not mean you should do it. It's legal to go hang out at gay bars but I'm not to interested.
    You had me up to this point. Note the blue reference, if he did as you suggest then the chief never would have been informed. His common sense shouldn't be judged by his choice of carry.
    :n00b: Ditto on that.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Originally Posted by j706

What don't you also say people of color use common sense and stay away from the front of the bus or the food counters, we know it's your right but it just upsets things!

And you women this working outisde of the home is just not what your supposed to be doing. Use common sense and just go back home, we know it's your right but it just upsets things.

And you people that want to vote for a canidate that I don't like why don't you just use some common sense and not vote, we know it's your right but it just upsets thinks.

You you people that dumped that tea in the harbor, why didn't you use some common sense and not upset things.

And me, well maybe I shouldn't have written this even if it IS MY RIGHT! See it just might upset things even though I THINK IT'S JUST COMMON SENSE!

Biggdogg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Indianapolis/Greenwood
    Why the insult? I am a security guard/officer who has tons of training. more than most police. we got our traing all through blackcreek is sc We are the first line of defense for a shooter at our stores With my training a shooter is as good as gone at up to 100 yards since we got our new 158 grn. bullets Don't mess with our place We kick people out of our place if u show a gun do it all the time. our owner is fixing to let us carry our guns when we are working and even take them home. cant wait

What security company do you work for and at which mall??

pbshoot4fun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    I'm sure that had he asked you nicely to untuck you would have complied instead of "mis-understanding" the law things would have been different. Everyone needs to think and respect more.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    What security company do you work for and at which mall??

Yes, I would also like to know, because everything this guy is saying is making me want to be sure never to set foot in the place, and never support them with my $.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'm sure that had he asked you nicely to untuck you would have complied instead of "mis-understanding" the law things would have been different. Everyone needs to think and respect more.
    ?? It wasn't the OP that "mis-understood" the law; it was the police. I doubt that the OP or any of us would have complied with the request anyway. The only time I have been asked to cover my handgun, I simply left the store where the manager and security guy asked me to cover it.

Top Bottom