Insulted by Pendleton, IN Chief of Police...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    Send his superior a letter and inform him of the situation. Tell him how it ruined your night and scared your family. Officers are put in place to protect and serve, not make up rules and dictate. I know many many awesome LEOs, but it seems they are becoming few and far between now :( unless we just only hear stories of the bad ones.
    When was the last time you heard any thing about when a police officer does something good. I thought the only time we got thanked was when we done something good for them. Just my :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Glad to see the Chief learned something from this and stated he made a mistake. Takes a good man to admit when you are wrong and that you learned something. Heck the best the POTUS could do was say he could have calibrated his words better...WTF?!?

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    was it public or private land... if it was county / city owned he can tell you do what to do and when to do it. Just like walking into a jail / sherriff dept that may have a ordinance aginst carrying at all. I dont agree with such ordinances but you may have to pick and choose your battles

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    was it public or private land... if it was county / city owned he can tell you do what to do and when to do it. Just like walking into a jail / sherriff dept that may have a ordinance aginst carrying at all. I dont agree with such ordinances but you may have to pick and choose your battles

He can only do that IF the City/County has an ordinance/law on the books all ready about whatever. He can not arbitrarily make up rules as he goes though... :twocents:

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    We must remember the lesson at Cambridge. If a police officer tells you to do something I would do it (unless it is illegal or not moral). Politely tell him or her you disagree and provide him with why you disagree. However, comply with his request. You could find yourself in jail for disorderly conduct. If you fell that your rights have been violated contact his superiors. Get a lawyer if needed. Write a letter to the editor of the paper and contact the State Police. Also, contact the NRA and they will help explain your rights. There are a very very few police officers that are eager to put someone in jail that they would arrest their own grandmothers. So do not show anger because you let them win.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We must remember the lesson at Cambridge. If a police officer tells you to do something I would do it (unless it is illegal or not moral). Politely tell him or her you disagree and provide him with why you disagree. However, comply with his request. You could find yourself in jail for disorderly conduct. If you fell that your rights have been violated contact his superiors. Get a lawyer if needed. Write a letter to the editor of the paper and contact the State Police. Also, contact the NRA and they will help explain your rights. There are a very very few police officers that are eager to put someone in jail that they would arrest their own grandmothers. So do not show anger because you let them win.

So, what's the big deal about being illegally arrested? It merely means more money for my boy's college fund, and more publicity to use to regain and defend our Constitutional rights. And maybe, just maybe, it'll even mean one less person wearing a badge who shouldn't be.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I am in on the fact that if he would have asked you NICELY to untuck your shirt to cover your weapon then I would have expected you to comply but to try to bully you by telling you to do it well there is the problem. I am not one to be told to do something that i know is not illegal.. What happened to being nice... "do onto others as others do onto you".

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    So, what's the big deal about being illegally arrested? It merely means more money for my boy's college fund, and more publicity to use to regain and defend our Constitutional rights. And maybe, just maybe, it'll even mean one less person wearing a badge who shouldn't be.
    My dad is a retired police officer and I let him read this post. In Indiana you can be arrested for disorderly conduct if you cause a scene. You can disagree with him without showing anger. If the officer wants to be a jerk take it up with his superiors.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Well, that sounds like a bad deal and very innapropriate on the officers side. However, i still think OC,ing causes more problems than its worth. I make very little effort to really hide my guns but I also try to keep them covered. I dont want to hijack the thread so i will not further express my view point on OC. I would definately take that up with the Couincil though

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My dad is a retired police officer and I let him read this post. In Indiana you can be arrested for disorderly conduct if you cause a scene. You can disagree with him without showing anger. If the officer wants to be a jerk take it up with his superiors.

I'm sorry your father has so little respect for the Constitution. He can arrest me for disorderly conduct. Then I will sue his butt into the ground for violating my civil rights.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    You sound like an expert. Please tell us how many millions you have won from being "illegally" arrested. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure YOU are the expert here. Please tell us how nobody has ever been unjustly arrested and how nobody has ever won a civil suit against a policeman and/or police department for the same.:rolleyes:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm pretty sure YOU are the expert here. Please tell us how nobody has ever been unjustly arrested and how nobody has ever won a civil suit against a policeman and/or police department for the same.:rolleyes:
    Well, how many? I do know that we at IMPD make about 3,000 arrests so far this year. I do not know of any pending litigation about unlawful arrests at this current time. Do you have any figures at to the rate of unlawful arrests? Just because can happen does not mean it happens very frequently. It's VERY rare.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Well, how many? I do know that we at IMPD make about 3,000 arrests so far this year. I do not know of any pending litigation about unlawful arrests at this current time. Do you have any figures at to the rate of unlawful arrests? Just because can happen does not mean it happens very frequently. It's VERY rare.

See, there you go spouting off statistics like that. How am I going to work on my retirement fund if you won't violate my constitutional rights?;)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Are you sure that is only 3000 arrests? I live in a donut county and I bet the cops down are here are well over that number. Also, without funding a 1983 lawsuit or winning a suppression hearing because of it, there is no determination as to the lawfulness of an arrest so that is a statistic that isn't really available. I'm not so sure that it is quite as rare as you think.

Quoting ddenny5:

Fortunately, Indiana does not have a catch-all disorderly conduct statute, rather is provides for 3 specific circumstances and there is caselaw which tightly defines those. You cannot be arrested merely for causing a scene; there are several other elements which must be present. Also, the caselaw makes it clear that the statute is limited by the 1st Amendment.

Click below for the statute and some of the statutory definitions:

Indiana Code 35-45-1

Last edited:
    Top Bottom