• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    So far we have about 23 interested members, and this is just after one afternoon, we'll give it a little more time for others to see the thread and post interest.

From there we can discuss planning of the major event(s) but remember that ANY event where we can do charitable work should be posted and let others know so we can get involved.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm curious about a public gun safety day. Possibly at a gun range, a free to the public gun safety day. Maybe even a day where the public can come and shoot steel, for free.

I'm thinking lots of people will find they like it, and even join said range.

But I dunno?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How about a shoot, maybe something like Friday night steel, but on a whole weekend. All the money go to Riley childrens hospital?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm curious about a public gun safety day. Possibly at a gun range, a free to the public gun safety day. Maybe even a day where the public can come and shoot steel, for free.

I'm thinking lots of people will find they like it, and even join said range.

But I dunno?

How about a shoot, maybe something like Friday night steel, but on a whole weekend. All the money go to Riley childrens hospital?

These were definitely in my mind for one of the major events.

I'll have to see if I can find anyone that would be interested in hosting such an event.

We'll have to see if any of our INGO members that are involved in training would be willing to volunteer to do a basic instruction day to raise interest and awareness?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Realistically, I think it would be good business for the trainers. If people come and get more interested, more potential clients. :dunno:

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    As for location, we could ouck a few places far and spread out so we can get as many members to participate as possible. Count me in if its close enough and on the weekend, or late enough for me to go to work.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    How about try to have the trainers lined up for a basic or intro class and at one of the events in the public have small brochures or business cards with info to sign up for said free class?

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Hey Cru, since it was your idea, are you interested in leading it?

Just thinking, you should setup a social group for this. INGO Charity Drive ??

What ever we do, we should include the sponsors of this site in communications, including sending them fliers on any particular events.

Here's the link for local Toys for Tots campaign (Indianapolis.)

http://indianapolis-in.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/default.asp

If we go this route, that means, people buy new toys, we gather them in a central location, and then get with T4T in early-mid December for a massive donation drop off.

Shooting events where people can drop off toys would be a good way to start this. Gun shows as well, though the campaign would have to be advertised to get the average attendee to bring a toy.

Last edited:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    How about try to have the trainers lined up for a basic or intro class and at one of the events in the public have small brochures or business cards with info to sign up for said free class?

This is all good in theory, if we can get people with the credentials involved.

We can't expect them to give away a free 1 on 1 class and lose out on a ton of their business, but if they could give a brief "how to handle and fire a firearm safely" available and then have RO's there with some sort of target set up for people, I think that could encourage people that are interested, but don't know anything about guns.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    goodwillingo.jpg

:D (as long as matt damon is not involved)

I would be willing to do some flyers to be handed out at any such
    event to help get the word out. No idea what to put on said flyers
    (fill in the blanks later) but just about anything would be helpful.

:yesway:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

We can't expect them to give away a free 1 on 1 class and lose out on a ton of their business, but if they could give a brief "how to handle and fire a firearm safely" available and then have RO's there with some sort of target set up for people, I think that could encourage people that are interested, but don't know anything about guns.

How much does "someone with the right credentials" cost? We could all chip in a bit to pay them.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

No, I meant have a basic/intro class for up to like 20 people. A one-time thing.

And the business card idea was to have info about the class, not the instructors themselves. Kind of like a brochure but easier to hang on to

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    What about neighborhood clean up? Is there a need for this in Indy? Would this be a reasonable idea? Or would that be viewed negatively as "outsiders" coming into town trying to clean up the city?

Uhhhh, I can think of a few neighborhoods that need cleaned up! But that may involve a little too much attention to the handguns. :laugh::laugh:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    People are steaming along on "public gun safety" event. Although offering 20 or so people free training is good, I thought this event was supposed to expose the public to the fact that licenced gun owners are good guys/gals.

How about doing something more out in the public? Show people that we do "normal" things and not just gun-related things. I'm not arguing against a training event, but possibly adding a second event? We already have more volunteer offers than can work at a training session.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    People are steaming along on "public gun safety" event. Although offering 20 or so people free training is good, I thought this event was supposed to expose the public to the fact that licenced gun owners are good guys/gals.

How about doing something more out in the public? Show people that we do "normal" things and not just gun-related things. I'm not arguing against a training event, but possibly adding a second event? We already have more volunteer offers than can work at a training session.

I was thinking along the lines of a public event with us out in the open. And for those who were interested we could give them info on a free training class for 20 people or something in case we ran into some that were more interested in learning sooner rather than later.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN

Agreed. To me the "gun safety event" would be a follow-up to the "out in the world helping people" events.

I could be over thinking things but MY idea is something like a Three stage process:

Stage 1: A few smaller public service events (soup kitchens, Toys for tots, etc.)

Stage 2: A larger more publicized INGO event where it is still public service, but something that we organize and publicize as necessary.

Stage 3: A open to the public gun safety event.

Stage 1 and 2 are very similar, but I think easing into a larger event might be better.

All theoretical of course.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Agreed. To me the "gun safety event" would be a follow-up to the "out in the world helping people" events.

I could be over thinking things but MY idea is something like a Three stage process:

Stage 1: A few smaller public service events (soup kitchens, Toys for tots, etc.)

Stage 2: A larger more publicized INGO event where it is still public service, but something that we organize and publicize as necessary.

Stage 3: A open to the public gun safety event.

Stage 1 and 2 are very similar, but I think easing into a larger event might be better.

All theoretical of course.

:+1:

I like it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This is beginning to sound a lot like the biker charity events to help show the public they aren't all gangs/thugs. Anyone have any insight on what they do that we might want to learn from?

Top Bottom