• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm not sure the right venue, but it is a great idea. One idea that came to mind is being a bell ringer for Salvation Army? I think.

This could be done with just one or two folks, but could easily open carry. You would also see a bunch of people.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm an attention whoring, social retard who thinks I'm cooler when seen carrying a gun. Plus, my moral side like to help others see how cool I am while helping them with something.

Count me in, schedule-depending!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Count me in. Only thing I worry about is whether a soup kitchen, or habitat for humanity or other charitable organization would be willing to have that many openly carried guns around. Many of these organizations are not firearms friendly.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Count me in. Only thing I worry about is whether a soup kitchen, or habitat for humanity or other charitable organization would be willing to have that many openly carried guns around. Many of these organizations are not firearms friendly.

This is my question, and why we need time to plan, and to choose our charity carefully.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy

Most would be glad for the extra help of 10-20 people. I've done Habitat for humanity through work, and soup kitchens on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and i have never gotten the impression that they were against firearms. While I have not see anyone carrying a firearm at these events...I have never seen any signs anywhere stating to leave them at home or in your car either

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    Another great cause that would definatley have media attention and lots of people would be the Susan G Koemen Walk for Breast Cancer.

I also think that a Jeff Saturday and his wife are the "Grand Marshal" every year.
    but I would be interested.

Side note who says we have to do just one event? food for thought

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Most would be glad for the extra help of 10-20 people. I've done Habitat for humanity through work, and soup kitchens on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and i have never gotten the impression that they were against firearms. While I have not see anyone carrying a firearm at these events...I have never seen any signs anywhere stating to leave them at home or in your car either

Let's just show up and do good things. Are they going to really look a gift horse in the mouth?

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Count me in...

Working with the Marines and their toys for tot's program, is a good cause to.

Count me in - I like Keith's suggestion. Let's just throw out some ideas and see which one sticks. I am thinking we might be able to honor WW2 Vets on December 7th, by placing flags for the VFW or American Legion on National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. We would then invite media coverage.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here are my thoughts as to how we should organize.....

Open Carry Event (handguns ONLY; openly displayed and carried in any safe manner you see fit with your LTCH)

MISSION:

1) Serve the Community
    2) Do so while promoting the premise that everyday law abiding citizens carry legally for defense of themselves and their families
    3) Educate the public (and employees of the State)

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Side note who says we have to do just one event? food for thought

Yes, I was pondering this as well.

What if we have several smaller events to get the ball rolling. Slowly getting the image out there, then have a larger event.

What if we had a day where anyone who is "curious" about owning a firearm is welcomed to a range (not naming names but anybody who's willing to open their doors) and we have some firearms instructors there that give basic handling instructions to anyone who wants to find out more about firearms. I'm not saying give a whole class to anyone who shows up, but they could be educated on the basics of how to safely own and handle a firearm.

These are just ideas folks. I love the input!

Let's be sure to stay enthusiastic over time though, not just get super excited and then stop caring ;) (not that I've ever done that or anything)

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is my question, and why we need time to plan, and to choose our charity carefully.

We need to choose to help an organization that we won't have to play games over our rights and find out ahead of time.

KEITH: I like the Toy-for-Tots idea. Would that entail picking up toys around the city and bringing them to a centralized location?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Open Carry Event (handguns ONLY; openly displayed and carried in any safe manner you see fit with your LTCH)

MISSION:

1) Serve the Community
    2) Do so while promoting the premise that everyday law abiding citizens carry legally for defense of themselves and their families

I agree with the handguns only as well. The more we can reduce the idea of us being attention whores, the better.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008

MISSION:

1) Serve the Community

I like that. And I especially like the service aspect of it over the "attention" aspect. Good deeds are good deeds, and I think they tend to benefit both parties without having to point out we're doing it.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I agree with the handguns only as well. The more we can reduce the idea of us being attention whores, the better.

I mainly put that in there because I do not want the public to observe that we are looking for attention over providing a community service. Note the mission ordering. 1 & 2 should go hand-in-hand and long guns are probably going to be more of a distraction.

While we surely have the right to carry them, it's not practical and I don't think most people would see us as reasonable to be carrying everyday for self defense of themselves and their families.

Top Bottom