• Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My MFP says I can eat 3420 calories per day! :rockwoot:

I think I'll try to slide in a little below that.

Just keep track of how many pounds you lose a week and adjust so you don't go over 2 a week. It really makes a difference if you do that because once you hit your target weight, it will be much easier to keep it off because by that time, your eating habits will have changed.

Also, if you have not done this before you may see a quick loss that will slow down. Most of that will be water weight.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Outstanding rebuttal. I sense the urge to apologize for being so abrasive so with that Im sorry for my simple ignorance and never considered age. what a fool ive been. please forgive this former fat boy. I thank you for the onsite adjustment to health and welfare for the maturing man. how could I have not seen that as an issue. touché good sir. you are a good source of mature nutritional advice Hooah to you good man.

I will say that I don't think it makes a difference if you are counting calories because calories are calories.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fat:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1 gram = 9 calories[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Protein:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 gram = 4 calories[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carbohydrates:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 gram = 4 calories[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alcohol:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 gram = 7 calories [/FONT]

Dang that Alcohol.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Also remember that if you are following your calorie limit that you can add to that for the day if you track the calories you burn if you workout that day. You will still lose your weekly amount and it will allow you to fuel your workout.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Also remember that if you are following your calorie limit that you can add to that for the day if you track the calories you burn if you workout that day. You will still lose your weekly amount and it will allow you to fuel your workout.
    I always tried to estimate how much actual physical activity I've done - it can be hard to do if you're not familiar with it as I had to usually look it up until I got used to it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Last end of Winter, I did the P90X. Of course I tapered it for my age and wore a heart monitor. After 90 days I could tell a difference but since then I have been a total couch potato (my work is all in front of a PC at home) and late work nights did not help. Now I need to get off my behind and do something so I downloaded the app called Human which encourages you to do at least 30 minutes of something and it tracks if you walk, ride a bike, or are even in your car. I have found it helpful to get me off the couch.

Another thing I am doing is trying to get better quality sleep and another app called Sleep Cycle tracks your quality of sleep along with an alarm clock that will wake you up in light sleep instead of deep sleep. It is for the iPhone so I don't know if it is available for Android. So far it has been an interesting app.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you want to friend me on Myfitnesspal you will find me as, tada, hoosier8. Once I update my weight, which I have not done for a long time, that 40lb to go is going to go up.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    1 hour and 5 minutes until it begins... I think I'm going to start off just cutting out sugar, watching my portions, and getting some treadmill work in. I found the last time we did this I just ate healthier with the idea that I was already improving without sugary snacks and I wanted to take it farther. So what do you guys suggest for somebody that packs a lunch? My normal was turkey breast lunch meat and the little cheese peanut butter crackers. I was thinking like a small can of tuna or something like that, plus a banana. Any suggestions?

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    After reading through this thread and seeing what some of you weigh compared to how tall you are, it kind of makes me feel bad that I think that I need to lose weight. So here is what I am going to do for you. For the first two weeks of 2014, I am going to eat nothing but bacon. After that, I will refrain from bacon for my third meal of the day, but not the fourth and fifth.

Just kidding everybody. Good luck with the weight loss, it can be tough. I am going after quitting smoking which means I cannot drink, which means I will lose weight. Haven't had a cigarette in 2 days now so I am doing pretty good, and I only need to lose about 30 lbs and I will be at my ideal weight so I do not have far to go. Again, good luck everybody, and happy new years!!!!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    After reading through this thread and seeing what some of you weigh compared to how tall you are, it kind of makes me feel bad that I think that I need to lose weight. So here is what I am going to do for you. For the first two weeks of 2014, I am going to eat nothing but bacon. After that, I will refrain from bacon for my third meal of the day, but not the fourth and fifth.

Just kidding everybody. Good luck with the weight loss, it can be tough. I am going after quitting smoking which means I cannot drink, which means I will lose weight. Haven't had a cigarette in 2 days now so I am doing pretty good, and I only need to lose about 30 lbs and I will be at my ideal weight so I do not have far to go. Again, good luck everybody, and happy new years!!!!
    Good luck with quitting smoking, I've been off them about 4 years... It ain't easy, and every once in awhile I get a craving! I smoked for 16 years! I went to the gas station and saw they were over $5 a pack, went home and told my wife I was done after this pack. Of course I'm hooked on the damn nicotine mints but that cheaper than cigarettes and I know it's a lot healthier!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    1 hour and 5 minutes until it begins... I think I'm going to start off just cutting out sugar, watching my portions, and getting some treadmill work in. I found the last time we did this I just ate healthier with the idea that I was already improving without sugary snacks and I wanted to take it farther. So what do you guys suggest for somebody that packs a lunch? My normal was turkey breast lunch meat and the little cheese peanut butter crackers. I was thinking like a small can of tuna or something like that, plus a banana. Any suggestions?

I lived on packed lunches of tuna (either the foil packs or the cans in water), 3-4 pieces of fruit, a little bit of cheese. There were times (it would be 2-3 months) I'd have boneless skinless chicken breast, mixed veggies, and a serving of brown rice along with some fruit (Lunch was really cheap when I'd buy bulk boneless skinless chicken breasts and bulk mixed veggies). If you can feel full off of a can of tuna and a banana, go for it but I know that would have had me running for something from vending machines a couple hours later. When I'd fill up on protein and fiber, I'd be fine without a snack from lunch (it was 11:30am) until 5pm. There were times I'd feel like making something different, I'd use something like this and just browse until I found something that sounded good (makes sticking to dietary changes much easier if you're not eating the same stuff and it tastes good).
    Healthy Lunch Recipes - Allrecipes.com

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Don't overlook the power and ease of smoothies. Hundreds of recipes are available online. Yogurt, fruit, milk, scoop of protein powder and 6 ice cubes then blend. Mix and match all you want. Great meal replacement too!

Don't drink your calories! They will not satisfy your hunger for long and you will be eating again sooner than if you had eaten a chicken breast or 4 or 5 eggs.

As for switching to diet soda, I did that 15 yrs ago and I still picked up weight. There are studies out now that are showing that if you eat/drink something sweet, even if it has artificial sweeteners in it, your body reacts in the same manner, preparing to metabolize the anticipated sugar. They are also saying that drinking diet actually raises your likelihood of getting metabolic syndrome. Here is an article that explains it better. 7 side effects of drinking diet soda - Health - MSN Healthy Living Last year I pretty much gave up sodas all together. I used to be a guy who had to have the largest cup of soda you could get, then get a refill before I left the restaurant. I switched to water, or if I was getting a combo meal or something special, unsweetened tea, no sweetener, or coffee. You will also save a TON of money not buying sodas, which appeals to the cheapskate in me. I have had a few over the last year, but it is like one every three weeks, not 128oz /day.

Another easy substitution at fast food restaurants is a side salad for fries. Just get a vinegrette/low calorie dressing if you can, and make sure that you get the dressing on the side, so that you can control the amount. I usually end up only using half of a dressing packet. Also watch out for salad add ons like carmelized pecans, croutons, cheeses, fruits, etc. People have actually gained weight while dieting on salads because of the dressings and all the stuff they put on it. Or just try to get the sandwich without the combo and a tap water to drink and forgo the side all together, if they don't have something besides chips or fries.

jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love this thread! Big props to the OP for putting it out there! I'll throw my :twocents: out there as a personal trainer. Take it one step at a time until things become habits. For example, initially just start with drinking more water....set a goal of 100ml/day. After a couple weeks of doing that every day it becomes a habit and not a chore. Continue that type of process for the rest of your diet....try and do it all at once and you'll get overwhelmed and quit. Also, running/walking is GREAT but any good weight loss program has to have strength/resistance training as a part of it. Muscles burn calories 24/7. Get stronger....burn more calories. Good luck and I look forward to keeping up with your progress!!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well I am officially a member of Planet Fitness. Two great features so far...

1. Their "free t-shirt" with membership comes in sizes up to 7xl!!
    2. I didn't even have to get off the couch to join, it was all online! (Oh sweet irony)

Seriously though, I'm getting ready to go pick up my key and t-shirt and start getting my healthy on!!! :rockwoot:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well I am officially a member of Planet Fitness. Two great features so far...

1. Their "free t-shirt" with membership comes in sizes up to 7xl!!
    2. I didn't even have to get off the couch to join, it was all online! (Oh sweet irony)

Seriously though, I'm getting ready to go pick up my key and t-shirt and start getting my healthy on!!! :rockwoot:

Do they give you smaller shirts to wear as the time goes by? :):

Top Bottom