• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    well the first 2 days I have gone over my calories not such a great start but at least I am tracking and aware of what I am taking in so I can make better choices. Day 2 of C25K today so I am sure that will be fun! NOT!

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Anyone going for a run outside today? I'm thinking about heading out for a couple miles. I did sprain my ankle three weeks ago on the ice, so I am wary about that.

The hard days will be next week with the -15 actual temps. May have to stay indoors for that.

I've read that garbage about PF but thought people were joking. The "lunk alarm" sounds like a complete joke. I've heard deadlifts aren't allowed. How's that place stay in business? From people buying memberships and not going?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    3hrs into my work day and I've already logged 5104 steps on the pedometer!

don't know what your work is or where the steps are logged, but if that is accurate and works out to be a regular thing for you - then diet and caloric intake is going to be your only real issue. I'd think if you are walking 25 to 35 miles a week, you will have no porblem losing weight!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I agree and disagree with the above.

When I was about 25, around ten years ago, I was my heaviest, around 170-180 pounds. A gut was definitely starting to form. I immediately went off soda pop and limited excess sugar snacks/candy. This advice about pop is where we agree. For three days I had a horrible headache from caffeine withdraw. After three days, everything was great. It was water for the most part, mixed in with OJ every so often. Soon enough I lost 10-15 pounds, but was still out-of-shape. I continued to be out-of-shape till 2009 when I went to apply for another police job and had to get back in shape to pass the simple enough physical entry tests. The first time I tried running 1.5 miles about killed me, and I only ran .75 miles and walked the rest. The next day I ran, then slowly jogged the entire 1.5 miles. I hadn't ran for over ten years, but just being a more slender build help me run 1.5 miles, even if it was ugly. Lately I've been doing P90X and as a Christmas gift for ourselves, we purchased an elliptical that I can use for a little cardio on the days I don't do P90X. For Christmas I also got some 30 pound dumbbells and a 90 pound weight band.

Where I disagree with the above is the advice to stay away from bread. I eat a lot of bread, and have been doing so back when I started to seriously watching my sugar. All I hear people say is that bread is so bad for you, but I don't agree. Being a very picky eater, I pretty much eat a PB&J or turkey sandwich every day for lunch. On my days off, I usually eat two pieces of toast with PB&J for lunch. For dinner, six out of seven days a week I eat either a bun from a sandwich or garlic bread, sometimes two slices of garlic bread. I also eat a small personal pizza three days a week. I eat so much bread that if bread made on fat, I should be obese even with the minimal working out I've been doing the last year or so, and the almost zero working out I've done the last ten or so years. Of course everyone is different, but I'm a huge bread eater and others can likely eat half of what I do and still be OK. Sometimes Olive Garden bread sticks are just too good to pass up.

I think the biggest issue for people is junk sugar snacks and the amount of other foods they eat. For example, when we go out to get burgers or chicken, I will likely get a sandwich with french fries. I actually like to cut up my chicken and burgers, so I take the bun off. If the places serves free bread, I won't eat the entire bun. I like grilled buttered bread, so I will usually have a couple of bites. I usually eat all the french fries, but sometimes leave a small handful. We treat ourselves to ice cream once a week, and have a very small sugar snack (50-60 calories) every night with our dinner.

My diet might not work for others, but for me, extreme reduction in sugar, followed by moderation in the amount I eat during meals, has pretty much kept me at the 150 mark and I'm 5'9". I've managed to finally put on some muscle having done some of the P90X workouts. One thing that really helped me with a lifestyle change when it came to food was something I read on-line. Food is nothing more than fuel for your body. Humans only need a minimal amount of fuel. I also try to pick foods that don't have "high fructose corn syrup." More and more foods are coming out w/o HFCS added.

Thanks for the milk tip. Doubt I will drink a full gallon, but may get some whole milk and drink a glass full.

I did the shoulders, biceps, triceps workout today. Got to use my new 30 pound dumbbells a few times. I hope to find a decent chest workout using weights on-line, complete with sumo dead lifts (I read they were better for back issues). The 200+ P90X push-up DVD is great, especially for my back, but I think it can only do so much with using body weight to work the chest.

Where I will agree with both of you is bread. Bread, or basically complex carbohydrates, are stored as fat. If you are thin and eat bread but do not gain weight, that is not a problem but if you need to lose weight, it is a good idea to avoid complex carbohydrates. Protein cannot be stored as fat but is processed out of the system. Fat is actually good for you but if you are already fat, eating fat with complex carbs can be a problem.

Your reduction in sugar is already a complex carbohydrate reduction so that was a good move. There are only a few sweeteners that are not complex chains, honey being one of them. For people that have problems with complex carbs which is about 10% of people that have things like Crohns or IBS, avoiding them altogether is about the only way to avoid the problems they have with them.

All-in-all, the first time I lost weight, I took a sandwich to lunch every day and ate pasta at night. I was younger and exercised too. The last time I lost weight I avoided sugars and high glycemic foods and lost 50 pounds. Now that I am older, I notice much more greatly that the complex carbs help me retain weight so I have been reducing them by avoiding bread and other processed foods as much as I can. Don't get me wrong, I love bread, even better if it is homemade but I think the other poster is right about it. I will still eat it but just not as much.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    mixedgrippullup1.gif

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    don't know what your work is or where the steps are logged, but if that is accurate and works out to be a regular thing for you - then diet and caloric intake is going to be your only real issue. I'd think if you are walking 25 to 35 miles a week, you will have no porblem losing weight!
    I work security in a pretty huge facility. Today was my "short patrol" day and I logged over 7000 steps (including a minimum of 6 flights of stairs, depending on how many times I have to go down and back up).

Fell off the wagon today, big time. Damn you, Dove white chocolate. :ar15:

Come on man, it's January 2nd. The wagon's barely even started moving.

Top Bottom