• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well I am officially a member of Planet Fitness. Two great features so far...

1. Their "free t-shirt" with membership comes in sizes up to 7xl!!
    2. I didn't even have to get off the couch to join, it was all online! (Oh sweet irony)

Seriously though, I'm getting ready to go pick up my key and t-shirt and start getting my healthy on!!! :rockwoot:

Ok, Planet Fitness can suck it. I should have researched more than their price and hours before pulling the trigger.

1. No head bands or bandanas- apparently they are gang attire, even when used on the elliptical to keep sweat out of your eyes.
    2. Any sound above a soft speaking voice (be it a grunt of exertion, dropped dumbbell, or just the plates lightly clanking together on a machine) sets off a "Lunk Alarm" consisting of a flashing purple light and a siren and sends a douchey smiling employ over to inform you of your misdeed and warn that you'll be asked to leave if it happens again... "Judgement-free" my ass!!!

Also, while there are free weights, the list of exercises you're not permitted to do with them is astonishing. I am canceling immediately and re-joining Anytime Fitness.

/rant

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ok, Planet Fitness can suck it. I should have researched more than their price and hours before pulling the trigger.

1. No head bands or bandanas- apparently they are gang attire, even when used on the elliptical to keep sweat out of your eyes.
    2. Any sound above a soft speaking voice (be it a grunt of exertion, dropped dumbbell, or just the plates lightly clanking together on a machine) sets off a "Lunk Alarm" consisting of a flashing purple light and a siren and sends a douchey smiling employ over to inform you of your misdeed and warn that you'll be asked to leave if it happens again... "Judgement-free" my ass!!!

Also, while there are free weights, the list of exercises you're not permitted to do with them is astonishing. I am canceling immediately and re-joining Anytime Fitness.

/rant

WOW

Glad I never looked more into that one. That's silly

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

/rant

What kind of exercices are not allowed???

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    OK, heres one thing anyone can try without joining a fitness center or club. 10,000 steps a day - guess you need to have a pedometer. that works out to ~ 5 miles a day walking. Easy enough goal to aim for and you can work up to it incrementally. I did about 5200 steps today - from being basically inactive since the end of September.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Well, I ate 4 eggs over easy this morning, and potatoes and ham soup with homemade potato bread for dinner. I was out shooting with my daughter, niece, and nephew all afternoon, they about wore my fat ass out! 1st day sugar free too, I threw away all my pepper mints from Christmas... My favorites!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Switch to water instead of regular or diet pop, stay away from bread, rice, & starches that turn to fat. As my old boss was told by his doctor, if it taste good, it's not good for you. Good luck and walk as much as you can.

I agree and disagree with the above.

When I was about 25, around ten years ago, I was my heaviest, around 170-180 pounds. A gut was definitely starting to form. I immediately went off soda pop and limited excess sugar snacks/candy. This advice about pop is where we agree. For three days I had a horrible headache from caffeine withdraw. After three days, everything was great. It was water for the most part, mixed in with OJ every so often. Soon enough I lost 10-15 pounds, but was still out-of-shape. I continued to be out-of-shape till 2009 when I went to apply for another police job and had to get back in shape to pass the simple enough physical entry tests. The first time I tried running 1.5 miles about killed me, and I only ran .75 miles and walked the rest. The next day I ran, then slowly jogged the entire 1.5 miles. I hadn't ran for over ten years, but just being a more slender build help me run 1.5 miles, even if it was ugly. Lately I've been doing P90X and as a Christmas gift for ourselves, we purchased an elliptical that I can use for a little cardio on the days I don't do P90X. For Christmas I also got some 30 pound dumbbells and a 90 pound weight band.

Where I disagree with the above is the advice to stay away from bread. I eat a lot of bread, and have been doing so back when I started to seriously watching my sugar. All I hear people say is that bread is so bad for you, but I don't agree. Being a very picky eater, I pretty much eat a PB&J or turkey sandwich every day for lunch. On my days off, I usually eat two pieces of toast with PB&J for lunch. For dinner, six out of seven days a week I eat either a bun from a sandwich or garlic bread, sometimes two slices of garlic bread. I also eat a small personal pizza three days a week. I eat so much bread that if bread made on fat, I should be obese even with the minimal working out I've been doing the last year or so, and the almost zero working out I've done the last ten or so years. Of course everyone is different, but I'm a huge bread eater and others can likely eat half of what I do and still be OK. Sometimes Olive Garden bread sticks are just too good to pass up.

I think the biggest issue for people is junk sugar snacks and the amount of other foods they eat. For example, when we go out to get burgers or chicken, I will likely get a sandwich with french fries. I actually like to cut up my chicken and burgers, so I take the bun off. If the places serves free bread, I won't eat the entire bun. I like grilled buttered bread, so I will usually have a couple of bites. I usually eat all the french fries, but sometimes leave a small handful. We treat ourselves to ice cream once a week, and have a very small sugar snack (50-60 calories) every night with our dinner.

My diet might not work for others, but for me, extreme reduction in sugar, followed by moderation in the amount I eat during meals, has pretty much kept me at the 150 mark and I'm 5'9". I've managed to finally put on some muscle having done some of the P90X workouts. One thing that really helped me with a lifestyle change when it came to food was something I read on-line. Food is nothing more than fuel for your body. Humans only need a minimal amount of fuel. I also try to pick foods that don't have "high fructose corn syrup." More and more foods are coming out w/o HFCS added.

What is a "healthy" means to put on a large amount of muscle with a metabolism high enough to burn through food eaten? I see this a lot in the gym. Small guys eat whatever they want and cannot gain a pound but are sick of being small. Milk is FAR better for you than supplements and more effective in for muscle growth.

Thanks for the milk tip. Doubt I will drink a full gallon, but may get some whole milk and drink a glass full.

I did the shoulders, biceps, triceps workout today. Got to use my new 30 pound dumbbells a few times. I hope to find a decent chest workout using weights on-line, complete with sumo dead lifts (I read they were better for back issues). The 200+ P90X push-up DVD is great, especially for my back, but I think it can only do so much with using body weight to work the chest.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio

/rant
    Really? Your not at least going to drive the lil smiley face employees crazy for a week or two! I would be having them pay me to not go to thier gym! I'd be one bandana wearing grunting free weight clanking m****er****er!

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    232.6 lbs this morning. 3rd day without a cigarette, alcohol, or coffee. 1st day drinking only water.

For now the most important thing is the smoking. I expect to gain a few pounds to keep the cravings away, we will see. I will slowly ease my way into the change in diet. I know if I stay away from smoking and drinking, I am on the right path.

Hope it is going well for everybody else. Don't give up!!!!!!!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    232.6 lbs this morning. 3rd day without a cigarette, alcohol, or coffee. 1st day drinking only water.

For now the most important thing is the smoking. I expect to gain a few pounds to keep the cravings away, we will see. I will slowly ease my way into the change in diet. I know if I stay away from smoking and drinking, I am on the right path.

Hope it is going well for everybody else. Don't give up!!!!!!!

One of the reasons you gain weight when you quit smoking is because you are not ingesting the poisons in the smoke that inhibit weight gain.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    < 262lbs here. No doubt, its time to do something. Love the energy and enthusiasm you all have. Not gonna go all Ape Sh*t fanatic here, but I WILL work out at work now & I WILL limit portion size. Not giving up the stuff I like though, no use being skinny and miseable. Looking for smarter foods to eat and having wife in on this too will help. I hope to keep up with you through the year.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    < 262lbs here. No doubt, its time to do something. Love the energy and enthusiasm you all have. Not gonna go all Ape Sh*t fanatic here, but I WILL work out at work now & I WILL limit portion size. Not giving up the stuff I like though, no use being skinny and miseable. Looking for smarter foods to eat and having wife in on this too will help. I hope to keep up with you through the year.

The nice thing about calorie counting is that you don't really need to give up the things you like. You can look for different, lower calorie ways to prepare your food though. In fact I suggest even if you do change some of the things you eat you should still eat your favorites once in awhile so as not to get discouraged.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Well, I ate 4 eggs over easy this morning, and potatoes and ham soup with homemade potato bread for dinner. I was out shooting with my daughter, niece, and nephew all afternoon, they about wore my fat ass out! 1st day sugar free too, I threw away all my pepper mints from Christmas... My favorites!

Thumpety thump thump
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Look at Frosty go![/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Had your exercise and decent fuel today
    [/FONT]

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    The last week of March I joined a new gym, Club B Fit in Cedar Lake. Mark Banter the owner and trainer recommended a good diet for me. I stopped eating fried foods and bread, cut down on sugar and sodium. Now I get most of my protein from chicken breasts, turkey and tuna. I used to have one or two alcoholic beverages a day, now I have one or two a week.
    He put me on a program working out 4 or 5 days a week. Before I went to Club B Fit I would do a set of ten and rest about 2 minutes then my second set and rest then my third, then move to my next exercise. With my new program I do a set of 20 then move to my next machine or exercise and do a set of 20 without any rest between sets. After going through 1 set on the different machines or exercises then I go through them all again for my second then third set. I do a lot more working then resting compared to before.
    When I started there I was 153lbs and 24% body fat. About three weeks ago I was 170lbs and 18.5% body fat. Today I am still 170lbs but I think I have lost some more body fat. I want to remain at 170 and lose some more body fat.

Last edited:

Chevyman540

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    LaPorte
    Well I started today, I'm 5' 8" and weighed in at 224lbs, did 2.5 miles on the tread mill. Felt like I died. I want to get down to 180lbs. About 4 years ago I got down to 175lbs Felt great, but looked sickly. I had cut out almost all pop, drank tea and just walked a lot. Now I've got to come up with a exercise plan.

Top Bottom