• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I think I'm going to pick up one of those stands for your bicycle so you can ride it indoors when the weather is bad [i.e. so I don't freeze my nuts off]. I love riding my bike but I do not love being cold :).

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    couch to 5k is no joke. I just did day one and thought I was gonna die. lol I am way more out of shape than I thought so this is going to be hard.

It gets better pretty quickly. Just keep up with the training. I went from 0 to 5k in about 4weeks last August. Wasn't a great time and I had to walk some, but I finished. I have since run 4 others and knocked 6 minutes off of my time.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Don't overlook the power and ease of smoothies. Hundreds of recipes are available online. Yogurt, fruit, milk, scoop of protein powder and 6 ice cubes then blend. Mix and match all you want. Great meal replacement too!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I couldn't add it to my MFP page, but I've sanded two 4'x8' sections of drywallby hand with 100 grit sand paper, put three coats of primer on it, and am now getting ready to paint the chalk board paint on it. I also took the dogs on a 45 minute walk earlier. Feeling good :rockwoot:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Fitness Pal is good. On Android/IOS.

Yep. Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com Great program. Before it was MyFitnessPal it was BalanceLog on a PDA and 11 years ago I lost 50 lbs tracking my calories. I slowly gained it back and I am now using the website (app for iPhone too). I also bought a kitchen scale to measure what I eat so I can eat x amount of Lasagna for instance and be able to know how many calories. Works really good.

One thing that will make you do is become aware of what you are eating. For instance, you have a set amount of calories to consume (if you do not exercise and you can calculate that also) and if you choose that Quarter Pounder, fries, and big Coke you may max your limit for the day. It will also encourage you to exercise because you can eat more calories that day.

You can set it to lose up to 2 lb a week because they suggest you not try and lose weight quicker than that and it will calculate when you will hit your target weight. If you are not losing the weekly poundage, you can adjust your resting metabolic weight down to counter that (and what I had to do).

It is a great system.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mfp said to eat 2600+ calories a day. I am shooting for closer to 2k. 2600 seems like way too much...

Depends on how much you weight now. As you lose weight, that amount will go down. What most people do is underestimate how much they are consuming in calories by a big amount. You may think that is too much but I would bet you are eating a lot more than that and you can determine that when you start counting those calories.

I suggest getting a kitchen scale. There are some good ones for around 20 bucks that you can change from lbs, oz, grams, liquid oz, milk, etc.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Portion control. Just plate out your meal. 8 oz. of protein, 8 oz. of veg, 4 oz. of starch, and 8 oz. of desert because I love you. lol. Plenty of water helps for digestion and hydration also add in antioxidizers like cranberries, blueberries, etc. Any raw fruit or veggie is great for this. watch the starches, switch the Idaho potatoes for sweet potatoes. Dark Chocolate is amazing on anything. Complex carbs stay with you longer so you stay full longer so switch from white to wheat or whole grain.

Complex carbs also put on weight quicker and there is a percentage, about 10%, of the population that have problems with complex carbs.

Also, it is good to avoid high glycemic foods. That way your sugar level stays even which keeps you from feeling like going on eating binges (happens when it dips low after a high). You can look those foods up but things like just about anything white, potatoes, white bread, etc, also some fruits like bananas and watermelon are high glycemic. Counter intuitively, sweet potatoes are not high glycemic and are good for you.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I disagree. Complex carbs like whole wheat stay with you if used in portion control and will burn longer like diesel fuel v. white bread, simple carb that will only burn fast and cause you to feel hungrier again in a shorter amount of time. but what do I know.

However I do agree with the rest of your post.
    p.s. I turn fat boys into war machines for a living. HOOAH

Part of what I said was from experience with people that cannot eat complex carbs. The other part is that as I get older, I find I have more problems with them as in my digestive system (the thing old people talk about as bathroom habits) is much more variable if I eat them. I found that the less I eat, the better things work.

I do agree that carbs stay with you but they also elevate your sugar level. The problem I see is that we eat way to many of them. I don't think our digestive systems were built for such an onslaught of complex carbs. Man has only been eating grains for about a few thousand years out of a few million. I do suggest plenty of veggies. I also do not think that eating fat is a bad thing but only if you don't eat fat with a lot of carbs.

Top Bottom