• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We integrated the "battle ropes" into our striking work out tonight.

5 stations (speed bag, heavy bag, double end bag, knee bag and battle ropes) for 1 minute, in between each station we did get up drill for 30 seconds, 6 times around.

Want beer but am passing on beer like I should.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Been back in the gym long enough now(a couple weeks) that I am moving from my 3X per week to my 4X per work plan. Will go ahead and start tomorrow.

Nice on the ropes Kirk. Are you still working out with Barry and them?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Decided to ride up to Town Run Trail Park with my mountain bike. First time on the trails there. 31.87 mile round trip. Now I am sleepy.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Just a suggestion to switch things up and Im a history buff so this fit well. I did the U.S army World War 2 fitness test a few days ago and dang it sucks. It consists of pullups,jumpsquats,pushups,suitups and 300meter run. All give a point score at the end of each event and total at end of all events like the current army PT test. I never got below a 280 in my 8 years in the army so I figured itd be easy however it broke me off due to the sequence of events and there isn't a mandatory rest time between events. It always fun to switch things up. I ended up getting a 390.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've been trying to hit the gym and at least spend 30 minutes on the elliptical every other day for the past few weeks. As it got easier, I began to up the intensity to keep my heart rate around 140.

Someone suggested recently that I alternate between going forward and backward to mix up the muscle groups and maximize calorie burn. Last night I planned to do 10 minutes forward, 10 minutes backward, and then 10 forward all with the "fat burn" program selected (alternated between low and medium resistance every few minutes). OMG!!! Backward nearly killed me!! I only managed 1-2 minutes backwards before I though my legs were going to buckle. I'm definitely going to have to work my way up to 10 minutes. Today I feel like I can barely walk. I'm sore and wobbly.

:faint:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've been trying to hit the gym and at least spend 30 minutes on the elliptical every other day for the past few weeks. As it got easier, I began to up the intensity to keep my heart rate around 140.

Someone suggested recently that I alternate between going forward and backward to mix up the muscle groups and maximize calorie burn. Last night I planned to do 10 minutes forward, 10 minutes backward, and then 10 forward all with the "fat burn" program selected (alternated between low and medium resistance every few minutes). OMG!!! Backward nearly killed me!! I only managed 1-2 minutes backwards before I though my legs were going to buckle. I'm definitely going to have to work my way up to 10 minutes. Today I feel like I can barely walk. I'm sore and wobbly.

:faint:

Maybe you need to walk backward in your daily life to get used to it. :dunno:
    You could talk backward as well, and do everything in slow motion like when you rewind a video.

Tonight I alternated doing 20 pushs (with 4 different hand postions), 20 pull ups and 20 chin ups.
    Same cycle for 20 minutes. :faint:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I've continued with my three days of P90X strength training videos. On Mondays I do shoulders, biceps, and triceps. Wednesdays is chest (lots of push-ups) and back (pull-ups and other back muscle exercises). Friday is back and biceps. These workouts are about 30-60 minutes each depending if one wants to do the entire workout and how many breaks one needs, plus another 7-10 minutes of ab exercises. I've lost about seven pounds, down to just under 150. I've gain strength for sure, though I'm hoping to be able to curl about another ten pounds. I can do 35 pounds and my goal is eventually to be able to do 45 pounds, at least for one or two of the exercises.

For me my biggest fear is eating more. I'm a picky eater. I've been eating protein bars after each workout which provide 17-20g of protein depending on the bar. I don't know if I need to eat more or not to put on more muscle. I've had a very small gut, and that has shrunk, but I really don't have a "six-pack" of abs either. I usually have a four pack after working out, but it eventually goes away!! I modified the routines to do exercises that are not that bad on my lower back (slight issues there I don't want to make worse). I've also started trying to work harder, repeating some exercises so I can work the muscles the same amount as they are in the video. Any suggestions on how to build slightly more muscle over the next two or so months would be great. Eat more protein? If so, how much? Are those protein shakes better than the bars? What is the best time to consume that stuff, before or after, and the time frame of before/after. Thanks for any advice.

Edit to add: Since I've seemed to plateau on the little stomach fat I have, I've decided that I might need to start doing some light cardio on non-P90X days. Since it is cold outside, I plan on doing 20 mins of cardio on Tues, Thursdays, and Sundays, but don't want to lose any muscle or have that interfere with building muscle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^^^^. For protein, aim for at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. More if you can handle it. So you need a minumum of 150 grams of protein per day and if you want to pack on another 10 lbs of muscle 160 grams should be your min.

Protein after a workout is great, but get it in whenever you can.

P90X is a good, proven program. Keep in mind that most of the commercially available "system" are designed to help the overweight person achieve results. There is not a big market for people like me who struggle to put on weight.

If you want to increase size and muscle mass you should look at doing basic exercises(squat, dead lift, bench press), slow your pace down in the gym, decrease reps and increase the amount of weight. Back off on exercises that isolate certain muscles and stick with compound movements.

60 minutes of intense training will get you ripped, but most likely you will not gain much mass. You should be able to finish a session in 40 minutes or less depending on what you are doing that day. There are lots of ways to do this and mixing it up every 6-8 weeks can keep it fresh. You could do your entire body once per week split between 4 days or your body done 3X per week in three days. Lot's of ways to slice that pie. The important point is to not go aerobic during your lifting sessions. Save that for a run or some other activity and keep that minimal while you are trying to pack on some weight. 20 mins of cardio 3X per week is plenty for cardiovascular health.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I traveled a lot last week and only worked out once. I gained two pounds, but I'll get back in the groove, starting tomorrow.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Been stuck at the same weight for awhile because I have not been exercising but I am watching my calories. I am pretty sedentary since I work in front of a PC all day so it looks like my maintenance calories are pretty low, which stinks. I did go on a 5.2 mile walk yesterday with some friends but now my left plantar fascia is sore (due to having fibroids). It always seems they grow when they are sore. May have to stick to a bicycle at some point in the future but I have to hold off on that until my knee heals.

Getting old stinks but I am still down 21 lbs and still have a way to go.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    ^^^^^^. For protein, aim for at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. More if you can handle it. So you need a minumum of 150 grams of protein per day and if you want to pack on another 10 lbs of muscle 160 grams should be your min.

Protein after a workout is great, but get it in whenever you can.

After some quick calculations, I likely eat anywhere from 40g to 70g of protein per day depending on what I eat. I've always been a light eater, but recently I've also been having times I've felt I've been starving and wondered if I needed to be eating something more. Going by your numbers, I definitely should be eating more protein. So what is the best way to accomplish this? Do I add an scrambled egg into my usually not so protein heavy breakfast in the morning? Should I also start planning on eating a protein bar everyday even during the non-weight workout days? Eat more chicken instead of pizza? Try protein shakes?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    After some quick calculations, I likely eat anywhere from 40g to 70g of protein per day depending on what I eat. I've always been a light eater, but recently I've also been having times I've felt I've been starving and wondered if I needed to be eating something more. Going by your numbers, I definitely should be eating more protein. So what is the best way to accomplish this? Do I add an scrambled egg into my usually not so protein heavy breakfast in the morning? Should I also start planning on eating a protein bar everyday even during the non-weight workout days? Eat more chicken instead of pizza? Try protein shakes?

I get about 40 grams for breakfast. Eggs, peanut butter on english muffin and a protein smoothie. Then I get more protein at lunch and dinner with a protein bar in the afternoon and protein through some other source in the evening. I still don't get enough so I am going to add a protein drink mid morning to replace my oatmeal which provides miniscule amounts of protein.

My son eats protein enriched foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In between he eats chicken breasts for extra. He also drinks a couple protein drinks per day. I think he is getting around 180 grams each day. He weighs around 140 and is already putting on the weight though he has only been lifting and eating like this for a little over a month.

Protein will help keep you satiated longer than carbs and/or fat. Try this sometime; eat a plate of spaghetti with no meat and see how long it is until you are hungry. Next time, eat a smaller plate of spaghetti but add 8oz or so of protein, like a steak or several large meatballs. You will stay fuller longer with the addition of protein.

I find the protein smoothies help me to get more into me. I found one that tastes good and I mix it with fruits, yogurt, some type of green(kale, spinach), pineapple-orange juice and almond milk. I mix it up in the blender and not only is it good tasting but I get 20+ grams of protein. I throw some Glutamine in for extra measure.(poor mans Creatine, lol.)

Top Bottom