• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    A week ago I went and did 12 rounds of boxing sparring and 3 rounds of pads and then 3 rounds of shadowboxing. I haven't seriously did a good boxing workout in a decade. Im sore now and realized my cardio sucks and I gotta get it up big time. I also got this fever bug that's been going around. Im miserable but at least I got a good dose of reality which I needed. I cant wait to get better and work toward my fitness goals. Take it from me and don't start out too quick and heavy working out, plan and start out slow and work up. The time you spend licking your wounds and recovering isn't productive in the long run.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Fell off the exercise wagon this week after making a trip to see my Sister and disrupting my schedule. I am still losing weight but ate a little more last night because I am losing more than 2 lb a week, my goal, and because I just wanted some chips and salsa. Down 18 lbs and counting.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Workout inside today.It's getting colder outside.

poids07a.gif

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I deadlifted last night. I was able to max out at 270lbs.

Getting stronger!

Nice job! Deadlifts have to be the best weight training movement that most people do not do!
    I don't know how old you are or what kind of shape you are in, but 270 is a very respectable number.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, I didn't go over my calorie count for the day yesterday but only ate chips and salsa and some pineapple upside down cake I had frozen. I crashed at about 7pm and had trouble getting up this morning. Better food today.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Nice job! Deadlifts have to be the best weight training movement that most people do not do!
    I don't know how old you are or what kind of shape you are in, but 270 is a very respectable number.

Thanks!

NICE! Deadlifts and squats separate the men from the boys in the weight room. When you are the only one deadlifting there are three guys watching you while they do bicep curls.

I don't have that problem. I have a home gym in my garage. :)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    NICE! Deadlifts and squats separate the men from the boys in the weight room. When you are the only one deadlifting there are three guys watching you while they do bicep curls.
    Yup, deadlifts and back squats. 5x5 is a great mix of reps and heavy weights. I usually sumo my deadlifts but I also do clean deadlifts to get strong on my clean pulls.

One of my favorite shirts.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yup, deadlifts and back squats. 5x5 is a great mix of reps and heavy weights. I usually sumo my deadlifts but I also do clean deadlifts to get strong on my clean pulls.

I am getting old and the 5x5 is too squat intensive for this old body. Both times I have followed it my right quad tendon gets inflamed, too sore to lift. Got up to 200 squat and had to quit. Deadlifts are not as bad on my knees but because of the squat, I have laid off for awhile and need to go back to the gym for other things. I might have been better off doing 5x3 on the squats two times a week. You get the most out of it the first two reps anyway from what I have read. I like squats so this is depressing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am getting old and the 5x5 is too squat intensive for this old body. Both times I have followed it my right quad tendon gets inflamed, too sore to lift. Got up to 200 squat and had to quit. Deadlifts are not as bad on my knees but because of the squat, I have laid off for awhile and need to go back to the gym for other things. I might have been better off doing 5x3 on the squats two times a week. You get the most out of it the first two reps anyway from what I have read. I like squats so this is depressing.
    Well, I guess it depends on what weight you are using. 5x5 should be using 70-75% your 1RM and 5x3 should be 80-85%. I understand the age thing, I'm 41 and there are days I feel it. What I did find is that lots of mobility and stretching has loosened up my extremely tight hips, quads, and glutes allowing me to lift with little pain. I was following Wendler's 5/3/1 for quite some time and it did a lot for my squat numbers.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    For the "old guys," and I say that with the utmost respect, there are many good full body circuit routines out there that will cause less inflammation on the joints and muscles and still give a good work out.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, I guess it depends on what weight you are using. 5x5 should be using 70-75% your 1RM and 5x3 should be 80-85%. I understand the age thing, I'm 41 and there are days I feel it. What I did find is that lots of mobility and stretching has loosened up my extremely tight hips, quads, and glutes allowing me to lift with little pain. I was following Wendler's 5/3/1 for quite some time and it did a lot for my squat numbers.

I was using Stronglifts 5x5 which adds 5 lbs each session. Started out with just the empty bar. Funniest looking thing is doing squats with a 2 1/2 lb weight on each end. I also go past horizontal to lift which works best for me. I had no pain lifting until my tendon flared up.

I am 61 and when you get older, your tendons are easier to injure so I will go back to doing squats when I can but will change up the routine to build even slower and maybe only twice a week. Last time it took a year to go away. I also injured my shoulder a few years ago and lifting weights has actually helped by building up the muscles around it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Man, I went to the dentist today and they checked my BP and it was 148/101! How did I go from being an Ironman to this?

I just started a new job, am trying to get used to driving in traffic after 3 years of virtually no traffic, am selling my house and trying to figure out how I can buy a house here when the prices are so much higher. My wife and I are living in a small apartment and I am dealing with her having to leave our home of 16 years and all the friends, job and familiarity.

I hope it is just a response to the "small" stresses I have added recently.

Top Bottom