• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So a few weeks ago, my 1 rep max on the Dead Lift was only 260lbs. As of last night, I could Dead Lift 260lbs 6 times. I am happy. :)

That's awesome! I am still doing very light weights on the dead lift until I can confirm my form is spot on. I'm going to try to catch the trainer one day and have him check it out. Once I am confident in holding good form, I will increase the weights. I really do like the dead lift.

I miss running outside :(

A few of us are still running outside but it is a rugged little trail buried in the woods near our work. It keeps the hard rain and wind out pretty well. Just 2 miles, but at least we are getting outside and plus we see deer!:)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    A few of us are still running outside but it is a rugged little trail buried in the woods near our work. It keeps the hard rain and wind out pretty well. Just 2 miles, but at least we are getting outside and plus we see deer!:)

That'd be very cool :thumbsup:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've thought about joining this thread for a few months now, but thought that I'd join now to keep me motivated.

My story.... A year ago I had my "Old man" physical. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, borderline diabetes, and about 30 lbs over weight. Well that was a big wake-up call for me, so the wife & I joined a health club close to us. We started playing tennis (we fell in love with the game), I get on the tread mill 2x's a week for one hour, and lift light weights & light tread mill 3x's a week, we also play tennis about 2x a week most weeks.

Now I'm off my PB medication (for 6 months now), no longer borderline diabetes, and lost about 15 lbs. I'm still on my cholesterol medication but feel great, a lot better than I did before.

I spend a lot of time on the road with my job so this is why I'm here for then nights when I'm in the hotel room trying to get motivated to get my butt down to the fitness room. I'm heading down to New Orleans tomorrow so I'm going to need all the help I can get.... I love fresh shrimp.......

Thanks for the support.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've thought about joining this thread for a few months now, but thought that I'd join now to keep me motivated.

My story.... A year ago I had my "Old man" physical. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, borderline diabetes, and about 30 lbs over weight. Well that was a big wake-up call for me, so the wife & I joined a health club close to us. We started playing tennis (we fell in love with the game), I get on the tread mill 2x's a week for one hour, and lift light weights & light tread mill 3x's a week, we also play tennis about 2x a week most weeks.

Now I'm off my PB medication (for 6 months now), no longer borderline diabetes, and lost about 15 lbs. I'm still on my cholesterol medication but feel great, a lot better than I did before.

I spend a lot of time on the road with my job so this is why I'm here for then nights when I'm in the hotel room trying to get motivated to get my butt down to the fitness room. I'm heading down to New Orleans tomorrow so I'm going to need all the help I can get.... I love fresh shrimp.......

Thanks for the support.

Ah, New Orleans. The company I used to work for had a yearly crawfish boil and normally used 5,000 lbs of crawfish. I love crawfish etouffee.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. My quad tendonitis is getting better so I will start back with weights. Got up to 200lb squat before the knee started giving me trouble again. Seems to be something that recurs so I will have to stick with lighter weights. Without the exercise, I am just staying the same weight with very few calories.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    So I'm an outside runner, cyclist who has a gym membership as an insurance policy against dangerous weather. Looks like next week I'll actually have to use it. Wonder if the gym regulars will lump me in with the new years resolution noobs who join a gym in January, go a few times then never go back?

Probably a dumb thing to think about, but whatev, I'm bored right now...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm struggling with making it to the gym with my new work schedule. :( Can't go late at night anymore like I prefer. Now my ideal gym time seems to be the same as everyone else's, which leaves me waiting for open equipment.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm struggling with making it to the gym with my new work schedule. :( Can't go late at night anymore like I prefer. Now my ideal gym time seems to be the same as everyone else's, which leaves me waiting for open equipment.

Can you go early? I would love to workout in the afternoon, but work gets in the way. Second choice would be after dinner but the gym is crowded and I have a tendency to miss workouts more if I save them until after work.

Early AM before my day starts works best for me. I am weaker, but I still get decent workouts. And after awhile I get conditioned to getting up early.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Can you go early? I would love to workout in the afternoon, but work gets in the way. Second choice would be after dinner but the gym is crowded and I have a tendency to miss workouts more if I save them until after work.

Early AM before my day starts works best for me. I am weaker, but I still get decent workouts. And after awhile I get conditioned to getting up early.

I may try. Typically I'm not much of a morning person and I already have to be up by 0530 for work. I need to try immediately after work as well and see how busy it is then. So far I've tried after dinner, but like you said its a mad house.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I was in early on last year, but flamed out hard by the end of January. Determined not to let that happen again, I took the plunge and got a family membership for the YMCA. We're less than a half mile from the Fishers Y.

All I can say is holy cow! There is so much to do there. Today I rode the bike, did some machine weights and went swimming with my 3 year old. Many of the fitness classes are free, including Tae Kwon Do and they even have a Kali stick and knife defense class.

My wife is taking a prenatal water yoga class, and we've got my daughter signed up for swimming lessons. This place is awesome. We are paying $68 a month for the whole family and that price is good for 3 years. It also gets us into any of the 11 central Indiana locations. This also includes 2 hours of childcare everyday while we work out.

They are open from 5 a.m. - 10 p.m. during the week so you can find time to get there. Much longer hours than most gyms. I'm very impressed with the offerings I've seen so far. I am VERY excited.

If you sign up between now and Jan. 12 they are waving the sign-up fee (normally $75).

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    So I'm an outside runner, cyclist who has a gym membership as an insurance policy against dangerous weather. Looks like next week I'll actually have to use it. Wonder if the gym regulars will lump me in with the new years resolution noobs who join a gym in January, go a few times then never go back?

Probably a dumb thing to think about, but whatev, I'm bored right now...

This is what happens at my fitness club. This morning at both tenniscize & club cardio class today their was a lot on new faces. Come Feb we won't see most of the new ones back.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm going to start walking at a local church that has a walking track. I'm going to try going after work, but I may switch to doing it before if I feel it would be easier.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I may try. Typically I'm not much of a morning person and I already have to be up by 0530 for work. I need to try immediately after work as well and see how busy it is then. So far I've tried after dinner, but like you said its a mad house.

Early then is probably not an option for you. You get up too early and you'll end up with sleep deprivation! You might try to go right from work to the gym and then home. If you are like me(and most people) once you get home, the pull of life is too strong to get you back out again.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Early then is probably not an option for you. You get up too early and you'll end up with sleep deprivation! You might try to go right from work to the gym and then home. If you are like me(and most people) once you get home, the pull of life is too strong to get you back out again.

I'm seriously considering dumping the Anytime Fitness membership and joining the Plainfield Rec Center. It's a much nicer facility, slightly less expensive, and I no longer need the ability to go at 0200.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    This is what happens at my fitness club. This morning at both tenniscize & club cardio class today their was a lot on new faces. Come Feb we won't see most of the new ones back.

haha, that's what I'm afraid of. I run a local trail year round and as ridicuous as it sounds, I actually get annoyed when it gets really crowded in the summer months. Cause it's 'my' trail!!! So I feel kinda bad when I'm forced indoors. I know I'm probably using someone's favorite locker or favorite treadmill - ah well. I guess the downside to running is that you have a lot of time to think up this nonsense!

As an aside, kudos to everyone like MC who really is turning over a new fitness leaf, that's awesome, keep up the great work!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have to go all in this year. It's getting bad folks. I don't care about being ripped but I have got to get in serious shape. It's so bad guys. Not too many years ago I was doing basketball conditioning practices and whooping everybody in the sprints. Now I can hardly do anything without running out of breath. I've got two young kids (4 and 2) and another one on the way (June 4th). I'm tired of coming home from work too exhausted to do anything, and I know for a fact my wife is too. I've gained almost 90 pounds in the ten years since high school. I'm gonna die at this pace. Hopefully I can use INGO as some accountability.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have to go all in this year. It's getting bad folks. I don't care about being ripped but I have got to get in serious shape. It's so bad guys. Not too many years ago I was doing basketball conditioning practices and whooping everybody in the sprints. Now I can hardly do anything without running out of breath. I've got two young kids (4 and 2) and another one on the way (June 4th). I'm tired of coming home from work too exhausted to do anything, and I know for a fact my wife is too. I've gained almost 90 pounds in the ten years since high school. I'm gonna die at this pace. Hopefully I can use INGO as some accountability.

This has been a pretty good thread for some level of accountability. What's your plan to get going on an exercise schedule? What's your plan to adjust your diet?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    This has been a pretty good thread for some level of accountability. What's your plan to get going on an exercise schedule? What's your plan to adjust your diet?

I've got the P90X DVD's and equipment and actually did it faithfully for two weeks and lost some weight but then my wife got pregnant and it was way worse than the previous two. I'll do the lighter schedule to start. I've used myfitnesspal in the past with really good succes, but life keeps getting in the way. No excuses this time. Also, as an added incentive, eating out constantly is killing my budget so that's gotta change too. We've got goals of paying down our house, selling, and getting to a much more rural setting.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've got the P90X DVD's and equipment and actually did it faithfully for two weeks and lost some weight but then my wife got pregnant and it was way worse than the previous two. I'll do the lighter schedule to start. I've used myfitnesspal in the past with really good succes, but life keeps getting in the way. No excuses this time. Also, as an added incentive, eating out constantly is killing my budget so that's gotta change too. We've got goals of paying down our house, selling, and getting to a much more rural setting.

Don't try to do everything at once. It took you 10 years to get where you are at now. Take it one step at a time. Make adjustments in eating along the way. My wife and I have spent the last 10 years at least "cleaning" up our eating. We don't diet. We eat well all the time. Well most of the time. Some indulgence is good. BTW, INGO can be bad for your eating. I cringe when I read posts of some of the foods our fellow INGOers eat!

Don't go crazy with workouts, hurt yourself and get forced to the sideline until you heal. This can be discouraging.

I obviously don't know much about your condition or goals, but be wary of P90 and similar hi intensity programs that can lead to injury and burnout. Find something that is progressive that will meet you where you are and grow with you.

Look for daily opportunities to exercise. Your gym session will only burn about 30% or your total caloric output for a given day. Park farther out at the parking lots and walk. Carry shopping bags from the store to your vehicle instead of pushing the cart. Shovel your driveway every time you get an 1" of snow or more.

Most Americans have to get mad enough before they take action. Sounds like you are there. That's good. What did it for me was when I found I could not do normal chores around the house like taking a bag of softener salt out of the trunk or picking up my push lawnmower to change the blade.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Don't try to do everything at once. It took you 10 years to get where you are at now. Take it one step at a time. Make adjustments in eating along the way. My wife and I have spent the last 10 years at least "cleaning" up our eating. We don't diet. We eat well all the time. Well most of the time. Some indulgence is good. BTW, INGO can be bad for your eating. I cringe when I read posts of some of the foods our fellow INGOers eat!

Don't go crazy with workouts, hurt yourself and get forced to the sideline until you heal. This can be discouraging.

I obviously don't know much about your condition or goals, but be wary of P90 and similar hi intensity programs that can lead to injury and burnout. Find something that is progressive that will meet you where you are and grow with you.

Look for daily opportunities to exercise. Your gym session will only burn about 30% or your total caloric output for a given day. Park farther out at the parking lots and walk. Carry shopping bags from the store to your vehicle instead of pushing the cart. Shovel your driveway every time you get an 1" of snow or more.

Most Americans have to get mad enough before they take action. Sounds like you are there. That's good. What did it for me was when I found I could not do normal chores around the house like taking a bag of softener salt out of the trunk or picking up my push lawnmower to change the blade.

Agreed. Nutrition is first on my list. I'm not gonna kill myself with the P90X. There are easier schedules to start out with, and I did it just fine last year, but you're right. Definitely don't want to burn out.

Top Bottom