• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Agreed. Nutrition is first on my list. I'm not gonna kill myself with the P90X. There are easier schedules to start out with, and I did it just fine last year, but you're right. Definitely don't want to burn out.

I have to concur with the burnout from p90x. The time commitment is what got to me and I only was able to get to 60-70 days before I had to start skipping days because other things were coming up ( and once I skip a day of anything its usually all down hill from there). While an hour and half is not that much out of your day, it does really restrict when you are going to do other things... I wish I could just wake up early and work out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have to concur with the burnout from p90x. The time commitment is what got to me and I only was able to get to 60-70 days before I had to start skipping days because other things were coming up ( and once I skip a day of anything its usually all down hill from there). While an hour and half is not that much out of your day, it does really restrict when you are going to do other things... I wish I could just wake up early and work out.

Agree. Missing one day is not the issue. One day won't cause any decline in fitness. It is the mental side. Miss one day, then the next gets easier. Next thing you know that one day has turned into weeks or months. Then it becomes extremely difficult to get back into it.

As far as 90 minutes; for me that is a lot of time to devote to daily training. I just don't have that much time in a day to do that. I get a great workout in around 40 minutes and I am reaching my goals. Some days I am done in 30 minutes. But I am not looking to win the Crossfit Games. I just want to feel good, look a little better and be able to do the things I like/need to do in my daily life. Whether that is lifting salt bags out of my trunk, doing some home remodeling, or doing and IDPA match without being winded.:)

I bike. I run. I weight train. I used to do triathlon. I eat well. This way of life is working for me. At least for today it is. The troubles of today are sufficient. I will worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Yep, the mental side is what gets me after missing a day. Sometimes I am able to bounce back, but most times I end up failing. I now usually just make my own 30 day challenges (just usually increasing pull ups, push ups, and situps) and ride my bike when I want some cardio and to work my legs. By keeping the time frame short, if I slack off during the month, I start all over the next, and I am usually not too far from where I left off.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

I did it a couple of years ago and started swapping out days like yoga with a bike ride cause I hated it. I got through the 90 days seemingly OK then my shoulders started to hurt, then went away and one came back with a vengeance to where I could barely lift it. It has been two years now and my one shoulder seems to be getting back to normal. Getting old sucks.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Got back to the guy today... 20 min on the treadmill, and 40 min with light weight's. Getting back to my routine.....

guy=gym.... :ugh:

Last edited:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was down 3 lbs on the "Maintain Don't Gain" initiative at work over the holidays. Walked 800m on the treadmill at work on my lunch today. I decided to walk on the treadmill at work instead of going to the walking track so I can get home at my regular time. I already miss 2 suppers a week as it is so the earlier I get home the better.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Got in a 2.5 mile walk before work today. Rode 7 miles on the bike after dinner.

Hopefully I can lift my legs in the morning.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Agreed. Nutrition is first on my list. I'm not gonna kill myself with the P90X. There are easier schedules to start out with, and I did it just fine last year, but you're right. Definitely don't want to burn out.

Saw this simple truth on twitter: "Don't diet. Eat according to your goals."

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I was younger I limited my low temp running to anything above zero. Below zero just became too difficult. Now any running is difficult. waaa2

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I was younger I limited my low temp running to anything above zero. Below zero just became too difficult. Now any running is difficult. waaa2

Today if the guys want to run at lunch, I will probably pass. Temps aren't too bad, but windchill is going to be rough by lunchtime.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just saw this thread... Anyone here incorporate working out and guns together? I am lucky enough to shoot at my house so I can do this... But I wanted to see how well I could shoot with my blood pumping and when my body was under a little bit of stress. As it should be if you're in a position you're going to use your firearm. You can't duplicate adrenalin and other things that your body may dump but still. Any how I would run sprints and do push-ups, squat jumps etc. Get my muscles to where they were tired and then like I said run some sprints and then fire shots silhouettes and do more exercises, fire another group of rounds etc. Having mags loaded and keeping moving where you are basically shot puts a whole new spin on being able to shoot well. It can be humbling and rewarding gives you a better idea on how you may preform I think. You may not always have the draw and engage scenario most dream up.

Anyways. If anyone does this I would be extremely interested in what you do and why, I have been thinking about doing this more especially as it gets a little nicer outside and I will want to be out of the gym.. Plus it's a lot more fun!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just saw this thread... Anyone here incorporate working out and guns together? I am lucky enough to shoot at my house so I can do this... But I wanted to see how well I could shoot with my blood pumping and when my body was under a little bit of stress. As it should be if you're in a position you're going to use your firearm. You can't duplicate adrenalin and other things that your body may dump but still. Any how I would run sprints and do push-ups, squat jumps etc. Get my muscles to where they were tired and then like I said run some sprints and then fire shots silhouettes and do more exercises, fire another group of rounds etc. Having mags loaded and keeping moving where you are basically shot puts a whole new spin on being able to shoot well. It can be humbling and rewarding gives you a better idea on how you may preform I think. You may not always have the draw and engage scenario most dream up.

Anyways. If anyone does this I would be extremely interested in what you do and why, I have been thinking about doing this more especially as it gets a little nicer outside and I will want to be out of the gym.. Plus it's a lot more fun!

I haven't done anything like this but I watched a multi-gun match once where they had the guys run across a short field(10-15 yards) and then shoot their rifles on the 300' range. It was fun!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    10710909_587790894659181_3915482238175531987_n.jpg

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County

I'd love to do that. And if I had more steel targets I could do it.

Nutnfancy does a lot of "Run 'n Gun"s that I really like.

Here are 4 playlists of them:

1. Shooting Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8DA48AFC0EE1820
    2. Sledgehammer Drill: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL12E14A308EF6E681
    3. Operation Red Skies: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F3AE044BE5621D4
    4. Troy Industries: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA231ABEB8E4159AF

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd love to do that. And if I had more steel targets I could do it.

Nutnfancy does a lot of "Run 'n Gun"s that I really like.

Here are 4 playlists of them:

1. Shooting Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8DA48AFC0EE1820
    2. Sledgehammer Drill: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL12E14A308EF6E681
    3. Operation Red Skies: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F3AE044BE5621D4
    4. Troy Industries: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA231ABEB8E4159AF

Cool! Thank you, I will check them out when I have some time, his videos are usually pretty long. I only have one silhouette that is steel (right now). But I also have 4 other steel targets. Running to paint the last 3-10 you shot isn't bad though with interfering in the workout... I haven't watched the videos to get what you're talking about yet. But if you have something you could make it work!

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    But I wanted to see how well I could shoot with my blood pumping and when my body was under a little bit of stress.

I love watching the Biathlon during the olympics. Cross country skiing is hard! But to do it at an olympic level then steady yourself enough to shoot accurately is awesome. Wish I could shoot on my property.

Hey, some ingo person with a lot of land should organize an INGO 5k where you have to shoot down several targets each mile, who's in hahaha????

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I love watching the Biathlon during the olympics. Cross country skiing is hard! But to do it at an olympic level then steady yourself enough to shoot accurately is awesome. Wish I could shoot on my property.

Hey, some ingo person with a lot of land should organize an INGO 5k where you have to shoot down several targets each mile, who's in hahaha????

I would be!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    We could possibly do that at my place... I mean it wouldn't be the best if 100 people showed up, but something tells me that wouldn't happen haha. Otherwise I am sure a range would be willing to host.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Treadmill fixed and I'm back on it. Also addressing issues on the intake side. I have a full bag of carrots that was not helping me at all. Now the bag is open and I didn't eat garbage for dinner.

also chose water for my COD beverage last night instead of a beer.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Treadmill fixed and I'm back on it. Also addressing issues on the intake side. I have a full bag of carrots that was not helping me at all. Now the bag is open and I didn't eat garbage for dinner.

also chose water for my COD beverage last night instead of a beer.

Didn't you from it last time?

Top Bottom